CGClone

Sr Member
Hey guys,

I have a beautiful, flexible urethane rubber TFA Cap Cowl. Im having trouble sourcing a good paint or primer combo to paint the white letters and wings on the urethane it self.

I searched around here and see a few unanswered threads on this subject, so I thought I would try again.

I've pondered vinyl and leather from Duplicolor, SEMS, etc.

Just thought before I did trial and error someone may have crossed this bridge?
Thanks ahead of time!

I tried to use acrylic ink on mine and it just cracked. I'm in the same boat and would love to figure out what works properly.

Depending on your paint choice, most major brands have a flex additive that you add to the paint (if spraying via a gun). An example of this is the rubber valance that is under the bumper of many vehicles. It is usually painted using urethane with flex additive to prevent the valance from cracking under stress. Usually added to the clear coat.

I use a water slide decal and a small heat gun on urethane Cap helmets rather than painting. Gives a nice weathered effect

Ive used vinyl spray paint on my vinyl spiders for my Spider-Man suit. It works great. Key is thin coats to avoid peeling or cracking. I did alot of experimentation with the spray and there's a very fine line of enough paint and too much paint.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've painted and repainted a lot of Cap cowls/helmets and this is the method I've come up with that works the best. first step is to clean the crap out of the thing with warm water and dish soap. Then I use XJM (?) white primer, available at Sherman Williams, light coat everywhere, heavier where the "A" and wings go. Cut out a stenciled mask of the A and wings on delicate surface painters tape (less adhesion). Place masks on helmet and then I spray the actual blue with Angelus leather acrylic paints, thinned down with water and Angelus acrylic finisher. I also use a little Angelus duller for a flat finish. The key is THIN LIGHT COATS! After that you can touch up the A and wings with a little white paint, add any weathering, and then I seal the whole thing with thinned Angelus acrylic finisher(matte). You can add a few drops of flat black acrylic paint to the finisher to give it a dirtier look.
Hope this helps.

I've painted and repainted a lot of Cap cowls/helmets and this is the method I've come up with that works the best. first step is to clean the crap out of the thing with warm water and dish soap. Then I use XJM (?) white primer, available at Sherman Williams, light coat everywhere, heavier where the "A" and wings go. Cut out a stenciled mask of the A and wings on delicate surface painters tape (less adhesion). Place masks on helmet and then I spray the actual blue with Angelus leather acrylic paints, thinned down with water and Angelus acrylic finisher. I also use a little Angelus duller for a flat finish. The key is THIN LIGHT COATS! After that you can touch up the A and wings with a little white paint, add any weathering, and then I seal the whole thing with thinned Angelus acrylic finisher(matte). You can add a few drops of flat black acrylic paint to the finisher to give it a dirtier look.
Hope this helps.

Hi,
do you know the exact name of the primer? is it oil based or water based? there are a few on the sherman williams range.
also, when you use the angelus paints after and the finisher.

How tough is the paint? would it come off if you dug in with your fingernails, or is stuck quite strongly to the rubber?

thanks

Hi,
do you know the exact name of the primer? is it oil based or water based? there are a few on the sherman williams range.
also, when you use the angelus paints after and the finisher.

How tough is the paint? would it come off if you dug in with your fingernails, or is stuck quite strongly to the rubber?

thanks
Its just called XJM white primer. I'd have to go home and look at the can for any more details I bought it directly at a Sherman Williams store. it's a great primer it sticks to the rubber really well, so well in fact that to remove it to redo the whole project you need a scruffy pad side of a sponge and maybe some rubbing alcohol. After the white then I do THIN LIGHT COATS of the Angelus mix til I get a color I like. then I remove the masking on the a in the wings touch up any white spots that need to be touched up and any battle damage/silver/metallic whatever and then seal the whole thing with thinned down Angelus matte finish. I thin with water, a couple drops of Angelus duller and a couple drops of flat black. Done.
PS- The Angelus paint will come off if you scrape it hard and it is very flexible but it would buckle if you were to try to turn the helmet inside out for example

Its just called XJM white primer. I'd have to go home and look at the can for any more details I bought it directly at a Sherman Williams store. it's a great primer it sticks to the rubber really well, so well in fact that to remove it to redo the whole project you need a scruffy pad side of a sponge and maybe some rubbing alcohol. After the white then I do THIN LIGHT COATS of the Angelus mix til I get a color I like. then I remove the masking on the a in the wings touch up any white spots that need to be touched up and any battle damage/silver/metallic whatever and then seal the whole thing with thinned down Angelus matte finish. I thin with water, a couple drops of Angelus duller and a couple drops of flat black. Done.

Cool, thanks.
After you've done the Angelus paint layers and the duller.
How chip resistant is the paint?

For example, if you used a fingernail, would it scratch off easily or is it nicely adhered to the surface?

I'm doing some experimenting so i will try it out and hopefully should be good!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back