Captain America Shield Straps/Harness Straps

AdamLeong5150

Hello Everyone.

Just joined and need some input.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a replica of Cap's shield from a vendor. While the shield itself is excellent, the straps he used for it aren't so. The vendor used "pleather". Making gripping it uncomfortable in some ways. Now, the the straps are starting to come apart. I'm looking to replace thsoe with some genuine leather straps.

In the same vain, I also purchased a replica harness for the Cap costume. Again, those are made of pleather as well. I'm thinking for next Comic-con/Halloween, I'd like to replace those so the pieces are most sustainable.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this kind of DIY fix?
image_50438145.JPG

Hello Everyone.

Just joined and need some input.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a replica of Cap's shield from a vendor. While the shield itself is excellent, the straps he used for it aren't so. The vendor used "pleather". Making gripping it uncomfortable in some ways. Now, the the straps are starting to come apart. I'm looking to replace thsoe with some genuine leather straps.

In the same vain, I also purchased a replica harness for the Cap costume. Again, those are made of pleather as well. I'm thinking for next Comic-con/Halloween, I'd like to replace those so the pieces are most sustainable.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this kind of DIY fix?View attachment 1757183
I have that same shield and have since replaced the straps. I found a close up image of the back of the Marvel Masterworks shield and contacted a local leather worker. I sent her my straps and she made replacement straps in the same dimensions only double layered, with the white stitching, etc. And because I'd gone on to find the screen accurate buckles I asked for no buckle holes in the tongues.

An other option available to you, which I eventually did, was purchased a leather working kit and watched YouTube videos and now make my own shield straps. This is the kit I bought: Amazon.com

This is the leather I buy (1.5 inch wide for straps. 1/2 inch wide for keepers): Amazon.com

There are a few other things you'll need like leather glue: Amazon.com

Leather wax: Amazon.com

Leather string: Amazon.com

I have that same shield and have since replaced the straps. I found a close up image of the back of the Marvel Masterworks shield and contacted a local leather worker. I sent her my straps and she made replacement straps in the same dimensions only double layered, with the white stitching, etc. And because I'd gone on to find the screen accurate buckles I asked for no buckle holes in the tongues.

An other option available to you, which I eventually did, was purchased a leather working kit and watched YouTube videos and now make my own shield straps. This is the kit I bought: Amazon.com

This is the leather I buy (1.5 inch wide for straps. 1/2 inch wide for keepers): Amazon.com

There are a few other things you'll need like leather glue: Amazon.com

Leather wax: Amazon.com

Leather string: Amazon.com
This is great info. Thanks for this Gray!!!

By chance, do you also have the Shield harness for the uniform? and if so, did you replace those straps as well?

This is great info. Thanks for this Gray!!!

By chance, do you also have the Shield harness for the uniform? and if so, did you replace those straps as well?
I have the harness that came with my suit from Whitesheep Leather. It’s actual leather and stiff but it gets the job done. I don’t have the skills to remake cuts of leather that wide yet.

Fair enough. Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
Hey, a few more things I realized I should pass onto you. In addition to the leather, glue, and string I told you about, if you want to go for screen accurate these are the buckles to use: 1 1/2" Nickel, Cinch Lock Webbing Buckle, Steel, #C-60-1-1-2

I know you have to buy a lot for a minimum purchase. But that’s the cheapest I could find. You might get lucky on EBay. They need some modifying so let me know if you go that route I’ll walk you through it.

Also, the triglides that came with that shield had sharp edges and were messing up the leather. I found these to be the closest to screen accurate: Webbing Slider 1-1/2" (Stainless Steel)

Though they are a little too wide compared to screen used ones. I ended up filing mine down with a dremel and then polishing with 1500 grit sandpaper. Ultimately I custom ordered my own from OSH Cut.

Let me know how deep down this rabbit hole you want to go as I’ve also located screen accurate screws.

As for the harness. After our discussion I’ve started that project. No idea if it’s going to work.

Hey, a few more things I realized I should pass onto you. In addition to the leather, glue, and string I told you about, if you want to go for screen accurate these are the buckles to use: 1 1/2" Nickel, Cinch Lock Webbing Buckle, Steel, #C-60-1-1-2

I know you have to buy a lot for a minimum purchase. But that’s the cheapest I could find. You might get lucky on EBay. They need some modifying so let me know if you go that route I’ll walk you through it.

Also, the triglides that came with that shield had sharp edges and were messing up the leather. I found these to be the closest to screen accurate: Webbing Slider 1-1/2" (Stainless Steel)

Though they are a little too wide compared to screen used ones. I ended up filing mine down with a dremel and then polishing with 1500 grit sandpaper. Ultimately I custom ordered my own from OSH Cut.

Let me know how deep down this rabbit hole you want to go as I’ve also located screen accurate screws.

As for the harness. After our discussion I’ve started that project. No idea if it’s going to work.
DUDE! Good catch! Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into the buckles and slides when I'm able to start piecing it together.

Let me know how it goes with the harness. I'm actually looking into adding a magnet to the shield the hardness so they'll stick together.

Good luck, man!

DUDE! Good catch! Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into the buckles and slides when I'm able to start piecing it together.

Let me know how it goes with the harness. I'm actually looking into adding a magnet to the shield the hardness so they'll stick together.

Good luck, man!
For the magnet, the best method I've seen is this one:

Huw's in the UK (I don't know where you are), so some of the materials he uses I had to find equivalents in the US. But I used this method for my Shield Labs shield and then again for the more screen accurate replica I made. I did have to make a few mods to my WSL harness because the harness buckle and the magnet under the suit compete for space at the top of your back. But I found a nice compromise.

Attachments

• Richmond Cosplay Con.MP4
    9.8 MB
If it's leather you need, go on down to a Walmart and look over their leather belt selection. That's what I did in replacing the miserably cheap "leather" that came with the Cap shield I got. The belts come in different widths and lengths. They are cheap enough that you can buy them and cut them up as needed without much worry.

for the metal parts that connect the straps to the shield itself, did you get them like that or buy them? do you know what they're called? are those metal brackets?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back