ORCA scratch build

all the modeling is done now I'm as happy as I can be with everything. it took way longer than I thought.
So I've started adding textures to the render file so It can be put into Unreal so I can VR head set walk around.
Here are some WIPs
test 1 Orca 7-3-24.png

test 10 Orca 7-3-24.jpg

test 9 Orca 7-3-24.jpg

test 8 Orca 7-3-24.jpg
test 7 Orca 7-3-24.jpg
test 6 Orca 7-3-24.jpg
test 5 Orca 7-3-24.jpg
test 4 Orca 7-3-24.jpg
test 2 Orca 7-3-24.jpg

Who knew there was so much set dressing to model.

Look at what you've done! I swear Zee, you know Orca like no other. So good!
You're right, there is more "stuff" on that boat. The grandeur of Orca.

Last edited:
So I've started adding textures to the render file so It can be put into Unreal so I can VR head set walk around.
Jaws 3D!

Just wanted to say that this project is some of my favorite stuff in the hobby. I love all the researching of references, and finding found objects, and collating all of it into accurate 3D models, that allow you to discover even more information that was never apparent, or even knowable, without having done all that. I love builds that strive for complete accuracy, but a lot only get to a certain threshold, because either the builder just doesn't have the time or the interest in taking it that final 5-10% that would really get it there. And the fact that you're not just doing a virtual or physical build but doing both! Such a cool project!

Jaws 3D!

Just wanted to say that this project is some of my favorite stuff in the hobby. I love all the researching of references, and finding found objects, and collating all of it into accurate 3D models, that allow you to discover even more information that was never apparent, or even knowable, without having done all that. I love builds that strive for complete accuracy, but a lot only get to a certain threshold, because either the builder just doesn't have the time or the interest in taking it that final 5-10% that would really get it there. And the fact that you're not just doing a virtual or physical build but doing both! Such a cool project!
The biggest problem all Orca builders have with modeling accuracy is the forward cabin. It's only on screen for 43 seconds. I've asked people like Marty Milner who worked on the movie, tansformed, and built Orca 1 and 2. He couldn't even remember what it looked like. This is one part of Orca that might be lost in film history.

I chickened out and instead of modelling an M1 Garand I bought a fantastic one from CG trader. Does anyone have the measurements of the harpoon box , I used to have them from an auction site but have miss laid the bit of paper.

Box Size: 15" x 22" x 5" - Found this at the first link below, the rest are just stuff I found related to the harpoon gun.

here is a funny story, I spent hours looking for the lever latch's from this photo
Greener-Harpoon-Gun_101056022_86160_F90E0A5DDB3DAC19.jpg

and in desperation I gave up and settled for the only close ones I could find. There not the same type but the right size with a similar look.
IMG_3430.JPG

and then I went back the the very brief appearance from the film only to remember each one of these box's was made by hand and changed over time and Quint's version didn't have them at all.

On a good side I did find the old style square 3 screw hindges on Ebay and they still make the 64mm locks and corners
IMG_3431.JPG

As this isn't a model when it come time to make this I'll move it to the props forum.

just before I went to bed I let the model render a bit as a test. I'm new to Texturing in 3D, Yes I do use CAD and do previs in my job but I've never needed to provide a colour item. I sort out colours and finish's in the real world. I have a lot more respect for the people that do do this there a lot more to it than I thought. Maybe I should have started with such a complicated project.
still loads to do and redo.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back