Opal Necklace and Trelawney’s handbag from Harry Potter

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Although I have several props from the Harry Potter movies in the works, I wanted to share the progress on two of them.

My wife has a very good Professor Trelawney costume which she’s been wearing to various cons.
1 trelawney and boggart.jpg

Since there always seems to be a need to carry junk around - cell phone, water bottle, camera, snacks, and so on, we thought an appropriate carrier would be the handbag that Professor Trelawney uses and is shown ever so briefly in HP and the Order of the Phoenix when she’s being sacked by Umbridge.
2 Dismissal_of_Trelawny.jpg

After several googling attempts to find one already made were unsuccessful, it became apparent that we (I) would have to make one ourselves. Since the bag has a carpet like appearance, I sifted through a few on-line videos, and adopted a hooked rug approach. I generated a pattern and transferred it to the backing material.
3 Pattern.jpg

Bought some yarn and started hooking :) .
4 One month.jpg

Unfortunately, at the rate I’m going, this’ll take the better part of a year to finish :(

ATL

Another prop I’ve been working on is the Opal Necklace.
1 Snape-and-McGonagall-With-Necklace-harry-potter-3309042-1800-1200.jpg

After I started collecting the components to make it, of course, it’s now available at Borgin & Burkes at Universal Orlando. They were sold out when I recently was there for “Open at the Close”. :( They only had gotten in 3 of them, and they went quickly.

The Necklace was designed by Miraphora Mina of MinaLima designs . (Necklace image used below with permission). Anyone who’s a fan of the Harry Potter movies should spend some time perusing the MinaLima website, and if afforded the opportunity, should see them at a convention. They put on a wonderful presentation.

My necklace is still a work in progress.
Necklaces.jpg Copyright Warner Brothers

It’s made from jewelry “findings” from 5 different sources and synthetic opal triplet cabochons from Aussie Gem Opals via Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/123488546/synthetic-loose-triplet-opal-stone-40-x?ref=listing-9. Geoff was easy to work with and sold me a package deal of the number, size and color I needed. BTW - A natural Opal the size of the one large one on the necklace costs about $1500.00.

Anyone who’s studied the Cursed Opal Necklace will know that my replicas is not exactly right – so I refer to it as the Jinxed Opal Necklace instead :rolleyes. After the necklace is done, I do plan to make the box as well.
3 Necklace box.jpg

ATL

Attachments

• 2 Necklace mock up.jpg
    2 Necklace mock up.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,568
Last edited:
your opal necklace is amazing id like to make my own as well could u show the sources u used? or should i type in something specific in google to find the metal pieces?

Thanks sonicfreak04!

a 55mm plus cabochon.jpg
The large three-lobed part came from Cherry Tree Beads and they call it Vintage Silver Plating on Brass 55mm Filigree Component. They're currently out-of-stock, and although the webpage does refer to wholesale, they sold to me without a problem.

Actually, using scissors, and small wire cutter, I then cut off the parts I didn't want. I smoothed the rough edges using a half round file from a set I have.
b 55mm before and after.jpg
BTW - The owl face was purely accidental! :)

The 14x10mm opal is in a setting from Fire Mountain. I had to cut off the loop, and file it a little bit. I epoxied the setting to the finding using JB weld, because of its gray color.

I'll post some info on the other parts soon.

ATL

The large opal is 25x18mm. Once again I cut up some findings. The central part is a ”Round 20mm Cabochon Setting Frame Pendant Filigree Edge Antique Silver” from the Etsy site, to which I soldered 4 TierraCast Large Connector Link-SILVER QUATREFOIL (eBay) that I cut down to trefoils. I tried using epoxy and also super glue – but they kept breaking off :)

c large opal piece.jpg

On top of the base I added a 25x18mm cabochon setting , once again removing the ring, and using epoxy to attach it.

d large opal.jpg

For the 10x8mm opals, I cut up a pewter finding from Fire Mountain (H20-4604FX).

e 10x8 base.jpg

To this base I soldered 4 Sterling Silver Mehndi Components from Rio Grande . I made a simple fixture to hold the parts while they were soldered. I’d recommend applying heat to the sterling silver part and letting the solder flow to the pewter part since pewter has a very low melting point itself. Once again, I did try adhesives, but the parts wouldn’t hold together.

f solder fixture.jpg

I then epoxied on the 10x8 setting.

Since I used parts that were sterling silver, silver plated, antique silver, nickel plated, and so on, I lightly brushed on some very thin flat black paint to all the pieces, let that dry, and then wiped most of it back off using a paper towel dipped in naphtha (paint thinner). This helped all the parts have more of the same old looking finish.

G antiquing.jpg

I then set the opals using clear silicone RTV.

H opals set.jpg

I’m now in the process of figuring out how to connect all of the parts together with jump rings. Hope to be finished soon.

ATL

thanks so much!! btw theres a project I've wanted to work on for quite some time. I wanted to make the slytherin locket I know noble collection sells one but it looks like crap and I've had some ideas on how to make the locket but id like to ask how u would do it?

Using 112 jump rings of various sizes and shapes, I was able to connect together all the parts of the necklace.
DSCN2956.JPG

It's basically finished. Now for the wood box!

sonicfreak04 - Regarding the locket you'd like to make, and how I'd approach it: I'd start by downloading every image I could find of the real prop, and then in super slow motion, re-watch all the movie scenes with the locket, and develop a clear view in my mind exactly what the locket should look like (it's a MinaLima design). Then I'd draw it to scale (for me-using AutoCad), and sketch details that I find important. From this I'd decide what materials I could use and that I have the capability of working with. That is, I would think ideally the locket should be made of an amber colored crystal, but I have no way of working with crystal or glass. I'd probably settle for amber plastic or polymer clay and then have to figure out how to add the green gems to make the "S" and engrave the runes into it. (Another possibility is the 3D model and 3D printer approach of which I'd have to climb the learning curve, but to which Turbo Sausage has used to good effect to make his Snitch). I'd probably try to use sheet brass to make the metal parts, because it's available, easily machined, solderable, and easily plated.

It's difficult to be more specific without actually making one, and I do have the Noble Collection lockets.

I hope this helps.

ATL

I purchased one of the necklaces in Borgin and Burkes, it is displayed in a pretty nice display box. If you would like more detailed photo's let me know, happy to take some for you.
Cursed Necklace.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks LorduDesign and ecl!

House Elf - Nice purchase - I'm envious! Yes please post pictures to this thread if you'd like! Any or all of these would be welcome: The whole display case closed, a close up of the hinges and a close up of the latch(es), the case open, a closer shot of just the necklace, and then a close up of each of the 3 different size opals would be great. THANKS!

I've taken a little break from making the display box. We're working on an Umbridge costume for a sister-in-law and I thought I'd try to make the brooch she wears:
back-to-school-book-tag-L-U6UhnC.jpeg
kitten pin.jpg

Perhaps not up to RPF standards, but its close enough for me, and my wife thinks it's soooo cute.

ATL

Yes there are replicas at WW. I will take some close up photos of the necklace and box tonight. They have actually added a few really awesome replicas including the hogshead jug (the ones the students had in the great hall) and also a small statue of the Hogwarts Architect.
Architect.jpgJug.jpg

House ELF - Thanks for the pictures! I was wondering if there were two latches on the box, plus it's good see that there's a clasp on the necklace itself. I'd added one to my replica because I couldn't get it past my wife's head to fit around her neck. BTW - since I've studied the necklace a little bit, I'm here to tell you that this reproduction is excellent!

ATL

The jug was $125 and the necklace $350 (I think) however if you use an AMEX inside Universal and ask for the mobile discount you can get 15% off. These items aren't available online but if you contact Merchandise Services they will sell them to you over the phone. I am hoping that they will sell more unusual items - I am holding out for someone to make the Troll Foot Umbrella Stand, which they have as one of the props items not for sale in Borgin and Burkes.

I have several of the Printorium book cover prints but it would be nice to have some actual books. They do have some nice writing books for sale in the WW in each of the house colors with marbled covers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back