On The Drawing Board, But... Your Cancelled Project Thread

drusselmeyer

Master Member
At every stage of life, many look back at accomplishments and realized where they should be by now. Some have achieved a lot and are still unsatisfied. Others still struggle to build the smallest collections.

There are so many projects that might have happened, coulda/shoulda/woulda have happened, or otherwise we wanted that we realize we need to prioritize on or give up for practical life reasons.

My personal list includes but is not limited to:

•1/1 scale 2001: A Discovery Space Suit or at least helmet
•1/4 (studio scale) Blade Runner Spinner
•1/1 Buck Rogers in the 25th Century blaster rifle
•1/6 Buck Rogers Thunderfighter
•1/6~1/4 Stargate
•Studio Scale Batwing

-among other things. Mostly, projects are doomed by expense, time and or space. If "where the heck am I going to put this thing?" is factored into every project, many must fall by the wayside.

What has been on your Wishlist/Drawing board that you would still like to have, but had to cancel?

Last edited:
When I first decided to try my hand at scratchbuilding (maybe 1997 or so), I picked a SW AT-PT because it was boxy and I could use the pictures in the original Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels as a blueprint. I ended up restarting it a couple times and never finished. I still have some of the pieces, but never got around to it. The funny thing is the first scratchbuild model project I did do (Chiss Clawcraft fighter) was more complex. My list of what I want to build is bigger than abandoned projects though.

I started a 1/7th scale TARS from Intertellar with working screens back when the film came out, but was trying to mill the parts out of solid resin blocks on my tiny CNC. Got all the electronics working but failed on the milling. In the intervening time, resin printers have evolved to a point I really ought to just get back on it again....

I started to build a robot girlfriend, but had to abandon it because my wife found out....!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capture.PNG

I LIKE IT.PNG

I need to finish my 1/72 Fine Molds Falcon. I shelved it because I chickened out when I realized how big a job adjusting the shape of the jawbox and mandibles would be after already gluing parts to it and replacing most of the plastic piping with brass rod. I think I'll just finish it as is.

finemolds-1-72-falcon.jpg

Then there's this... I simply got sidetracked by life in general.

20200824-171215.jpg

After my last project (the 2001 SS V landing bay), I started to plan/build the tankage parts of Discovery (same measurements/scale as the 15 footer studio model)...but life and other things (medical for both my wife and me) are keeping that project on the back-burner:(:(

I wouldn't call this ABANDONED per se, as I have a 2nd TOS Enterprise 350 kit for this, but its more that I keep putting this project off due to fear of screwing it up. But anyhow, the idea is to take that kit and convert it into a ship I made in 3d for a fancomic I wanted to make. The USS CONDOR.
20220619_233933.jpg
20220619_233754.jpg
390cddd0-7225-458f-aad8-8a46f44f0002.jpg
nebula flight.jpg
20220228_182406.jpg

The physical mods are daunting enough, but I will have to either mod the PL light kit or more likely get something put together from a lighting kit. And its been a LONG time since I last did any wiring for lights so I am worried about screwing that up too.

I wouldn't call this ABANDONED per se, as I have a 2nd TOS Enterprise 350 kit for this, but its more that I keep putting this project off due to fear of screwing it up. But anyhow, the idea is to take that kit and convert it into a ship I made in 3d for a fancomic I wanted to make. The USS CONDOR.

That's another avenue to explore; how many people stopped projects or just didn't start because they thought they might screw them up? Years ago I bought a Captain Cardboard studio scale X-Wing and ended up selling it because I know my paint/weathering wouldn't cut it. I just haven't built enough models to get really good at weathering yet. I also tend to take a lot of time if I'm scratchbuilding something to make sure I'm not messing something up because I don't have a ton of money to devote to the hobby.

I have to add another canceled project I forgot about, the old Speederbike kit. I have an old huge oak desk I've had since a kid that I use as a modeling bench. It has shelves on the sides and while I was dusting, I noticed an unmarked box that I didn't remember what was in it. Well it was partially painted Speederbike parts, still with alligator clips attached from when I painted the parts. I thought my pot head sister stole those years ago. :lol: I completely forgot about it! It's probably been 20 years since I worked on it.

That's another avenue to explore; how many people stopped projects or just didn't start because they thought they might screw them up? Years ago I bought a Captain Cardboard studio scale X-Wing and ended up selling it because I know my paint/weathering wouldn't cut it. I just haven't built enough models to get really good at weathering yet. I also tend to take a lot of time if I'm scratchbuilding something to make sure I'm not messing something up because I don't have a ton of money to devote to the hobby.

I have to add another canceled project I forgot about, the old Speederbike kit. I have an old huge oak desk I've had since a kid that I use as a modeling bench. It has shelves on the sides and while I was dusting, I noticed an unmarked box that I didn't remember what was in it. Well it was partially painted Speederbike parts, still with alligator clips attached from when I painted the parts. I thought my pot head sister stole those years ago. :lol: I completely forgot about it! It's probably been 20 years since I worked on it.
Exactly what happened to me when I got the 350 refit. Between realizing I would HAVE to make my own lighting, and the realization that I would have to do the Aztek paintjob, I calmly shoved it into a closet, and eventually tossed it.

Another thing that scares me is figure painting. I recently did a resin Chris Lee as The Creature from Curse Of Frankenstein, and while it isn't perfect, its way better than I thought I could do. I have since gotten Evil Dead and Exorcist kits, and I am terrified to paint em lol.

Haven't actually canceled any projects, but I've most certainly put some on hold that I had briefly started. With hope to eventually be able to get back to it.....someday.
One that I had just kept putting off for a long time, was repainting the old MPC Millennium Falcon. But now here thats been finished since last year. But, it also took like 5 to 6 months, as I had to fix up some stuff, ran into some issues. You know, the normal type stuff. But, I am glad I did finally decide to tackle it.

I had a list of things I wanted to build since I was a teenager. As I got older I abandoned some of them because it just wasn't practical, mainly because of cost and space.

One example, a life size speeder bike mounted on one of those springs they used to mount fiberglass animals on for kids to ride. It came down to space, money, and building new skills. I'm sure I could build an ok prop, but making it strong enough to sit on would require some skills I haven't built. And where would I mount it? In the backyard the elements would kill it. I've also gotten away from fiberglass work because it's so nasty to work with.

Another thing that scares me is figure painting.
For me it was painting head sculpts for my 1/6 Sideshow figures. I rebuilt and customized two 1/6 scale Anakin Skywalker figures that I had saved from another model buddies trash stash and attempted to repaint the heads but kept screwing up the eyes, crossed eyed, bug eyed, sleepy eyed, starry eyed, everything but evil eyed. After nearly 6 months of shelving the project I tossed the old Sideshow heads and replaced them with updated one's from eBay, I was finally happy with my one hundred and oneth attempt lol.

These heads tossed into the spare parts bin... Hay fever Anakin Skysneezer...
78554966_10221347410818737_4027758246436536320_o.jpg
78194425_10221347410178721_21119612619849728_o.jpg

Much better
77311579_10221347415978866_1215746825923854336_o.jpg

Taa Daa...
77067471_10221347407138645_7294852337070243840_o.jpg

For me it was painting head sculpts for my 1/6 Sideshow figures. I rebuilt and customized two 1/6 scale Anakin Skywalker figures that I had saved from another model buddies trash stash and attempted to repaint the heads but kept screwing up the eyes, crossed eyed, bug eyed, sleepy eyed, starry eyed, everything but evil eyed. After nearly 6 months of shelving the project I tossed the old Sideshow heads and replaced them with updated one's from eBay, I was finally happy with my one hundred and oneth attempt lol.

These heads tossed into the spare parts bin... Hay fever Anakin Skysneezer...
View attachment 1819530 View attachment 1819534
Much better
View attachment 1819532
Taa Daa...
View attachment 1819533
I am actuall quite good with eyes, or small details. Its getting realistic shading and skin tones. Gimme a monster, mech or vehicle and I nail it. But a person? I crawl in the corner.

I did do decent with my Chris Lee Creature though.
20240302_193334.jpg
20240302_193235.jpg
20240302_193244.jpg

Exactly what happened to me when I got the 350 refit. Between realizing I would HAVE to make my own lighting, and the realization that I would have to do the Aztek paintjob, I calmly shoved it into a closet, and eventually tossed it.

Another thing that scares me is figure painting. I recently did a resin Chris Lee as The Creature from Curse Of Frankenstein, and while it isn't perfect, its way better than I thought I could do. I have since gotten Evil Dead and Exorcist kits, and I am terrified to paint em lol.
Yes, lighting is another of my challenges...don't know too much about it (especially new ones coming into the market). That's why I don't tackle certain models (you should see the lighting I've concocted for my Moebius 1:10th EVA Pod:eek::eek::eek:)...not pretty by any means!

Yes, lighting is another of my challenges...don't know too much about it (especially new ones coming into the market). That's why I don't tackle certain models (you should see the lighting I've concocted for my Moebius 1:10th EVA Pod:eek::eek::eek:)...not pretty by any means!
Lol. I USED to be pretty good at it, I wired up a bunch of props for a Doctor Who fanfilm me and some friends made in 2001, but I mever kept up on it after that, and forgot everything I'd learned in the time between, so I have to relearn it all first.

I did figure put how to fix some wire issues in my copy of the PL TOS 350 light kit for my TOS Enterprise, but the fixes have slowly been failing, and I can't go in and fix em. I accidentally glued B deck down, and I do NOT wanna try to get that broken loose. I KNOW I'll destroy the thing in the attempt.

I am actuall quite good with eyes, or small details. Its getting realistic shading and skin tones. Gimme a monster, mech or vehicle and I nail it. But a person? I crawl in the corner.

I did do decent with my Chris Lee Creature though.View attachment 1819537View attachment 1819538View attachment 1819539
Nice job on the Christopher Lee Frankenstein!!

As far as skin tones go, I have had trouble with those as well; these two painting resources helped me tremendously. One is a post at OSW forums, while the other is a multi-part youtube series for painting 1/6 heads. Both are good for other applications as well: I also threw in a third for Tony Stark/ Iron Man:

One Sixth Warriors Head Repaint Tutorial-

Captain Kirk 1/6 Head Paint Tutorial (entire series on Youtube)-

Tony Stark 1/6 Head Repaint Tutorial (Youtube)-

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back