OMG darth vader hilted umbrella?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by OldKen, Feb 12, 2006.

1. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

http://www.yakface.com/Features/toyfair06/...s/images/04.jpg

notice just above the emmiter on the right hilt, under the red cover its a fricken umbrella with what looks like a pretty darn good representation of a vader hilt, esb or anh...

i hadnt heard of it and noticed when looking at the MR toyfair pics from the other thread.

just thought it was interesting to say the least.

2. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

It's an umbrella?.?

And here I thought it was just a case to keep the Force FX blade from getting scratched.....

D'oH.

3. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

man, a lightsaber handled umbrella.... why didnt one of us think of this years ago? I live in Seattle, id SO buy one.

4. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

they were for sale last year but only in Japan IIRC.

i have seen a few appearing on Ebay lately.

john :cool

5. p0sitr0nic

yeah, that helps us here... why is everything Japan exclusive? That just chaps my *...

6. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

well they do get the best toys first... :cry

john :cool

7. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

i've seen them last year.
    japan only

8. p0sitr0nic

Who makes em? Anyone know?

9. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Japanese manufacturer Happinet has started preorders for a "Rain Lightsaber" which ships next month. A regular lightsaber is normally used to attack someone but put the word "rain" in front of it and you have an umbrella. Just an umbrella. All is not lost however, since sturdy umbrellas may also be used to attack man and beast when the occasion beckons.

Made of a durable vinyl material which blossoms outwards to 100cm when opened, the umbrella will shield adventurous walkers from wind, rain, and sun. Two types are available for preorder: One features a shadowy Darth Vader who wields a saber and the other one shows a diamond-shaped Vader logo. Pricing is set at Y8000 in Japan or US$85 from NCS. Delivery is expected in mid-late June 2005.

10. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

OK, then why are they in the same case as the MR poker set?

This would absolutely ROCK if MR started to put these out as I so want one.

11. Guitaryojedi

Guitaryojedi New Member

12. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice. :D

In the last shot on page linked above, that's the umbrella between the 1:1 MR ANH on top and the .45 MR ANH on the bottom. I guess a full-sized replica would have made for an impractical umbrella grip.

So, how do you like the umbrella? Do you use it, or is it for display purposes only? :p

13. temponaut

Thanks for posting this ad, darth manu, and for the supporting information.

Is that a URL in the lower left corner? If so, can you post a link (or just the address)? I tried blowing up the image, but the resolution is too low for me to make it out.

Thanks. :)

14. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Now if it only lit up. It would also make a good Blade Runner umbrella.

15. Guitaryojedi

Guitaryojedi New Member

Hi temponaut,

Actually I've never used mine yet :p
    Hilt is not as good as 1:1 or 0.45 Scale, but
    it's well done, I believe.

Hope Graflex Type will come out this year :D

16. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

If MR offered it, it would be $300. :confused

17. temponaut

Guitaryojedi, are you saving it for a rainy day? :D

I just found the Rainsaber on Amazon Japan for ¥6,330. That's US $53.77 at the current exchange rate.

Amazon Japan: Happinet Rainsaber

There are three reviews of this item on Amazon Japan so far, and all of them give it 5/5.

Those of you who are interested in this item might try checking with your local Amazon.

18. temponaut

Happinet Robin's homepage...

Happinet Robin

And a better look at the inside surface of the umbrella:

{EDIT} Image removed.

19. JediRacer

JediRacer New Member

I bought one of these at a toy store in Tokyo last November. It was around $70.00 USD. It's a bit expensive, but it's so cool, I had to have it. I thought the Vader hilt was the same size as the .45 scale MR, but I see from the above pictures that it is not. I don't have any of the .45 scale sabers. I didn't know anything about it when I bought it, and was really surprised to see the cool starfield and Death Star on the underside of the canopy.

It's too nice to use in the rain, and the lightsaber handle really isn't easy to hold. It's a nice conversation piece though.

20. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

And why do you think that?

I am curious.

21. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

Because they'd put a dead-on perfect hilt on it, and the shaft would probably light up, too, when you extend it. They don't tend to underachieve when putting whizbang and ooh&awe into their items. Then, add a way beyond average quality fully functioning umbrella that can handle weather, that makes your $300.

22. southcenter

southcenter Active Member

I saw one of these at a Toys R Us in December here in Tokyo. I think it was only about $50 US, but now that someone else said it was $70, my memory might be wrong. For $50, I didn't think it was a terrible deal, but $70... maybe I won't be saving for it after all. :)

Perhaps I could go look and see if they're still available if someone wants. Send me a PM if interested.

Patrick

23. temponaut

Hey there, southcenter.

If anyone PMs you hoping that you can get a Rainsaber for them in Japan, try Amazon Japan. They are offering the Type A Rainsaber at something like a 20% discount... and shipping inside Japan is free. If you look at Post #17 on the first page of this thread, you'll find a link to the item on the Amazon Japan Website.

They may have Type B available, too. :)