Interest Obi Wan ANH **Heavy** Static (Interest Thread)

DaveP

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone.

I've been finishing up a few semi completed 3D projects lately, and I'm VERY excited to finally put this one out there as an interest thread, having received the final quote from the machining shop!

What we have here is my take on Obi Wan's ANH saber.

NEW ASSEMBLY VRAY.png

This is not a replica of a real parts hilt. The way I see it, there would be very little point in producing something that has been perfected already. This is something a little bit different, that you'll hopefully find as exciting as I do!

What I've tried to do with these parts is to make them as visually accurate as possible on the outside, in both dimensions and material characteristics, but as HEAVY as possible on the inside!

**With regards to the weight**, this isn't intended as a belt hanger. It is intended as a relic/curiosity. I believe that the additional weight adds a feeling of power and gravity to the object and imbues it with an air of importance. Holding this should be a tactile experience. The electopolished stainless steel pommel is a feature that I'm particularly excite about. It should set this prop apart from others and make for a great talking point.

The booster, Graflex spacer and grenade section have been combined in to a single, solid, heavy block of mild steel!

NEW HALES SECTION.png

The pommel will be manufactured from solid *stainless* steel and electropolished to give it it's chrome like appearance.

Pommel.png

The emitter will also be stainless steel, and comes as a single, solid piece. These aren't the original materials for these two parts obviously, but they will have the same visual aesthetic, whilst being much heavier! The Emitter wont be electropolished.

Emitter.png

The neck and wind-vane will be manufactured from solid brass, in three parts. These have been modelled to look like a genuine WW1 grenade neck, but with a simpler, solid construction.

Neck.png

There is a 6mm core running through the middle of the hilt to take a threaded bar. Both the pommel and the emitter are threaded to hold everything together. There is a thread to attach the neck and grenade also, as well as a thread holding the wind-vane in place.

As with my other active project run, this is a DIY kit, and *doesn't include clamp, bubble strip, or transistors*.

People have their own personal preferences when it comes to these parts, and it seems wasteful and costly to order parts from the USA to the UK, only to potentially send them back. Also, I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable selling someone else's parts as part of my kit (obviously). Any replica Graflex clamp should fit perfectly over the centre of the grenade/booster section.

What you will receive is basically any part that has been manufactured using my 3D models, As seen here:

ASSEMBLY2.png

The 3D models themselves have been painstakingly created using real part references, to ensure that the exterior is 100% accurate to the original prop.

That being said, I'm very much open to suggestions and will continue to refine these models right up to production! It's very important to me that this is as visually accurate as possible.

As with the grenade section on my Yuma run, the grenade section required extra precision machining due to the grooves being tighter than standard tolerances. I believe this will always be a price worth paying, rather than altering the model.

Where appropriate, parts will have an additional surface smoothing operation applied to decrease surface roughness (Ra) down to 1.6μm (63μin).

The parts will arrive assembled on the threaded bar, which will also be included of course.

I'm really excited about the prospect of holding one of these! Hopefully you are too! This thing is going to be HEAVY!

This project needs a minimum of 24 people in order for it to be cost effective (25 including me).

If it's looking likely that 24+ people are on board, I can get a prototype made at the bulk price, but this requires a commitment from me to the machine shop that I will be going ahead with the order. I'll be doing that before I get a solid commitment from anyone, or taking any payments, obviously, so you'll be able to see the product before putting any money down. I can't commit to the full order though (or the prototype) until I have a fairly good idea that we'll have enough people.

So, no commitment at this stage. Just gauging interest. :)

Assuming we can get enough people interested, the cost of each kit will be:

£230 (Roughly $298 USD) plus postage (£20 UK/£30 International)

The project will require upfront payment before it can go in to full production (Through Paypal so you'll be protected).

As with any of my projects, this is very close to the cost of production. My reward is having one of my models produced at the reduced price of a bulk order. The cost of having a single one of these produced is well in excess of £900 unfortunately. £230 is much more like it! :)

If you think so too and would like to get involved, Please express your interest in the comments, or drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Dave

Interested:

1. DaveP
  2. ventuoguy
  3. bostonfin

Last edited:
I had a question this morning regarding whether or not I'll be getting a prototype for this project. Just updated the OP with the following:

If it's looking likely that 24+ people are on board, I can get a prototype made at the bulk price, but this requires a commitment from me to the machine shop that I will be going ahead with the order. I'll be doing that before I get a solid commitment from anyone, or taking any payments, obviously, so you'll be able to see the product before putting any money down. I can't commit to the full order though (or the prototype) until I have a fairly good idea that we'll have enough people.

So, no commitment at this stage. Just gauging interest. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Nice, would the "GRAFELX" clamp fit around where it should? Would we have to purchase a clamp and the bubble strip separately to complete it?

Nice, would the "GRAFELX" clamp fit around where it should? Would we have to purchase a clamp and the bubble strip separately to complete it?
Hi, yes. This has the same dimensions as the original prop, so the clamp will fit perfectly over the middle. Unfortunately, I'm not able to manufacture the clamp or bubble strip, and it wouldn't be right of me to resell somebody else's products as part of this run, so I'm leaving it up to the buyer to decide where to get their additional parts. Cheers.

I've had a few initial comments/questions regarding this run, so I've made a couple of additions to the original post:

**With regards to the weight**, this isn't intended as a belt hanger. It is intended as a relic/curiosity. I believe that the additional weight adds a feeling of power and gravity to the object and imbues it with an air of importance. Holding this should be a tactile experience. The electopolished stainless steel pommel is a feature that I'm particularly excite about. It should set this prop apart from others and make for a great talking point.

I've had a couple of pointers over on the project thread with regards to accuracy too. This is something that I genuinely welcome and appreciate. I've added the following to the original post:

...That being said, I'm very much open to suggestions and will continue to refine these models right up to production! It's very important to me that this is as visually accurate as possible.

I've just been given permission to use some fabulous real parts photography as reference for the booster section, which I'll be refining over the next few days. I'll post the results on here once they're done.

Small changes to the models at this stage will have very little effect on the price of production.

Cheers,

Dave

Back on with updating the models for this run when time permits. I've just updated the booster section of the main body:

NEW HALES SECTION.png

The fins have been refined and I've added some detail to the end to match a real parts booster. This section will be mostly hidden, but I thought it would be a nice touch, and preferable to how I had it modelled previously.

I based these model changes on some images of real boosters posted by NickCline with his kind permission:

Booster_1.png

*Some of the images in the original post now need updating to include these changes.*

Just a little update...

I'm still really keen on getting this run off the ground. I think the finished piece could be something really special. I've just updated a couple of images on the original post:

NEW ASSEMBLY VRAY.png
ASSEMBLY2.png

There are a few small refinements to the models:

The emitter now has a slightly deeper curved section. I've still gone with the more curved look rather than the more angled examples, but have made it deeper/more pronounced. I've also added a very small step in the emitter face. This is to give the impression that the emitter consists of two parts (even though the emitter in this kit will be milled from a single piece). I've opted to raise the outer part of the face rather than the reverse. This is so that any patina that is applied to the emitter section can be knocked back on this part.

I've added the attachment point to the pommel. This was obviously going to be included in the final kit, but up until now was missing from the model.

I've also added a minor detail to the brass neck (A small channel in the end section).

There's a long way to go to get the 24+ people we need to get this run made, but I'm hopeful we can do it! I for one am ready to pay for my slot and look forward to having one of these in my collection!

If we don't manage to get this one moving, I'll think about potentially going down a different route; possibly breaking the models back up in to their individual parts and doing some separate runs. Maybe some individual real part replicas? For now though, I'd like to give this kit one more push!

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave!

Somehow missed this one. Definitely consider me interested should you go down the route of individual parts.

There just not enough options for quality OWK parts outside of the States, so anything new on the market would be amazing!

Hi Dave!

Somehow missed this one. Definitely consider me interested should you go down the route of individual parts.

There just not enough options for quality OWK parts outside of the States, so anything new on the market would be amazing!
PM sent (y)

Did you ever decide to do parts?
Hi there. These are still happening, definitely, but probably not until after the V2 run I just announced. I have the models pretty much finished, but they need another pass doing on them against references of real parts. This is all in hand, and I have someone willing to help with that. I prefer to have one run on the go at a time though. It'll be this year though, I'm sure. Probably in the autumn/fall. Hope that's ok. They'll be slightly different to how this project started and will be separate real part replicas. Definitely happening though, as I need these for a build of my own. So it's something I'm looking forward to working on. :)

Hey Dave,

Just as a FYI with regards to the weight, I can’t speak to a Roman’s, but a real parts Obi weighs about a kilo all told.

Not really a belt hanger per say in itself!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back