Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

Hmm... This thread seems to be stagnating again, in spite of a few new(ish) build threads, including a hardware version that's quite good. Anyone else?

024.jpg

I am building an Obi ANH Reveal saber, working on the crystal chamber now..

045.jpg

Hi Slothfurnace,

Just checked your work in progress on your website ... it's looking spectacular . . . as usual.
Enjoying your sketches too :)

-Chaim

Can't wait to (hopefully) see that bad boy in a couple weeks, sloth!

Here is my recently finished AFBB, still finishing up the stand:

2012-01-23114506.jpg

2012-02-07142715.jpg

Kevin, not that your saber isn't top notch, but if you're going for the AFBB look, have you considered polishing up the neck/windvane to a high gloss (and sealing it with a laquer coat like door knobs or cabinet hardware). Not a criticism, just wondering.

I've always wondered how all the parts were held together?

For a Luke or Vader saber it's pretty obvious since the whole thing is a flashgun unit, but for Obi's it's a mix of several parts.

I guess repro parts have a threaded pommel and emitter to secure everything into place?

But i'm curious as to how it was on the screen used saber.

I've always wondered how all the parts were held together? ...i'm curious as to how it was on the screen used saber.

Nobody knows. Well, actually, somebody (the guy who actually originally assembled it) knows, but he isn't saying. Until he speaks up, it's just speculation.

my speculation would be wood or glue. my gut is that we tend to over analyze props from the OT because of all the resources we have today. Sometimes we overlook the obvious, and from what I can tell, props were rush jobs with whatever they could find. Dowels are pretty cheap and nifty - it's harder to screw things into pipe or plastic for things like the pommel (also a great one piece spacer behind the clamp). The emitter though, i won't make any assumptions, it still stumps me.

Did it ever occur to anyone, that the chronicles saber (black and white) may have had the dented lower edge of the emitter on purpose? I just had the idea that they crimped the bottom to keep it on whatever they used as an adapter. ?
anhobiview2.jpg

That thought occurred to many of us here, and was a very popular line of thought until the part was identified. The balance pipe is far too thick in that spot to be crimped, and is made of a hard alloy called inconel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

While it is uncertain exactly what we are seeing in the Chronicles/Mechismo pics, it is fairly certain the part is not crimped.

Last edited:
Ah thanks for clarifying!

I actually just received a steel balance pipe from kurtyboy and i have to agree, even with steel there's no way that can happen,

huh...it's good to know others have explored that, sad to be at a dead end again haha I've heard the chronicles was reassembled for those pictures, they could have fabricated an emitter out of softer metal just for that

What did everyone use as spacers behind the emitter and clamp before the metal adapters that are machined now?

Last edited:
What did everyone use as spacers behind the emitter and clamp before the metal adapters that are machined now?

Well, one of the original spacers for under the clamp was a solid aluminum cyclinder with a hole up the middle for the 3/8-16 threaded rod most sabers were assembled around. It was also notched on the sides for the tabs of the clamp. Some less fancy assemblers simply used a section of 1.5" sink tube cut to the appropriate length.

The emitter was a different story. Prior to the positive indentification of the balance pipe, most emitters I've seen were machined with the "reflector" in place, which was tapped to accept that threaded rod. Where it wasn't, others just used the actual grenade part that screwed into the neck/stem.

Mmm a filled in emitter, I should have known. It looks like I might be using a ocmbination of washers / rubber washers or tape to slip the emitter in place

my clamp part...sinktube looks good, do dowels come that thick? haha

Thank you for all the info!

I have this. This is a SD Studios replica, but I made some modifications on it in order to make it look more like the original prop based on some reference material. I added some "rust" to the grenade using copper paint, and painted the neck with brass color, and also I weathered the base of the emmiter thing. I changed the D ring for one with the correct dimensions, and applied some weathering to the Graflex clamp. I also filled the screws it had representing the circuits with resin and painted them; personally I hated to see the X on each screw.

560623_3761127181127_1084831894_n.jpg

Last edited:
I guess this thread isn't dead yet.

Nice one Manooga. The only thing I'd suggest is turning the pommel so that the D-ring is in the right location. It should be in the next "cube" down. (Addendum) Come to think of it, the saber may not be all SD studios. That pommel looks like one I have that the seller attributed to Gavidoc. I believe the SD version was larger and was made when they still believed it had a taper. Or maybe it's from an earlier run... I could be mistaken.

Hopefully I can update my site with a few more pictures of my Obi inspired sabers, and I'll post a link to the page. 'Til then...

Last edited:
I've started a new semester ( my second last! ) at school, so with no basement or tools I'm stuck just searching for parts superficially again. Promise the minute I get time to start work and share.

I don't want to tip my hat, but... For the saber I'm working on which is an Obi ANH/ROTS hybrid (using the old electronic Obi ROTS as a base), I'm fabrictaing what may the best hardware/hand made version of the AS handwheel ever! Okay, the best I've ever seen, anyway. Details to come...

I guess this thread isn't dead yet.

Nice one Manooga. The only thing I'd suggest is turning the pommel so that the D-ring is in the right location. It should be in the next "cube" down. (Addendum) Come to think of it, the saber may not be all SD studios. That pommel looks like one I have that the seller attributed to Gavidoc. I believe the SD version was larger and was made when they still believed it had a taper. Or maybe it's from an earlier run... I could be mistaken.

Hopefully I can update my site with a few more pictures of my Obi inspired sabers, and I'll post a link to the page. 'Til then...

Thank you Tan Djarka! ooh yes, I currently have the pommel in the right position so that the D ring is right where it should be. I don't have many pictures of that saber, but I might upload more soon. Where does it come from really? who knows. I also see some other differences from other SD studios I've seen. Here's another pic that might help to find out who built this one:
181438_3619816008436_1038157197_n.jpg

I don't want to tip my hat, but... For the saber I'm working on which is an Obi ANH/ROTS hybrid (using the old electronic Obi ROTS as a base), I'm fabrictaing what may the best hardware/hand made version of the AS handwheel ever! Okay, the best I've ever seen, anyway. Details to come...

Well...I'M on the edge of my seat now. :) still looking around for that smaller diameter toy, they're getting fatter. (That..is what..she said?)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back