Nuts! I miss the '90's

BAK55

I had just watched back to back episodes of “Lois and Clark, the New Adventures of Superman” on a cable channel and realized just how long ago it was and how much I miss the '90's.

There were three extra networks for television besides the old timers and there was at least one program that was fun to watch every night of the week that wasn't a lame reality show, and they were broadcasted for free without having to need cable with shorter commercial time. And primetime for broadcasting started at 7:00 instead of 8:00 as it does now. It seems lately in order to see any kind of drama or fun programs that are available anywhere, one needs to have cable -and endure longer commercial time that we have to pay for to have on our T.V. Screens.

Saturday mornings were worth getting up for to catch some cool programming, too.

Nostalgic, sure. Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:
Lol... You speak of the 90's as if television was prehistoric :lol
There was cable and there was plenty of stuff to watch...
Try being a kid in the 70's when you literally had three major networks and then a PBS station and that was it :lol
There was afternoon cartoons and Saturday morning cartoons and that was all. And at a certain hour the stations went off the air and you had NO tv to watch at night. And I miss it SOOOOOOOOO much :lol especially Saturday morning cartoons :)

But we are all nostalgic for those years we were young... For you it was the 90's and for me the 70's. These years will forever hold great memories :)

I had just watched back to back episodes of “Lois and Clark, the New Adventures of Superman” on a cable channel and realized just how long ago it was and how much I miss the '90's.

There were three extra networks for television besides the old timers and there was at least one program that was fun to watch every night of the week that wasn't a lame reality show, and they were broadcasted for free without having to need cable with shorter commercial time. And primetime for broadcasting started at 7:00 instead of 8:00 as it does now. It seems lately in order to see any kind of drama or fun programs that are available anywhere, one needs to have cable -and endure longer commercial time that we have to pay for to have on our T.V. Screens.

Saturday mornings were worth getting up for to catch some cool programming, too.

Nostalgic, sure. Anyone else feel this way?

Don't misunderstand me.:lol The 55 in my ID stands for 1955, the year of my birth. I was watching Howdy Doody in my youth. :darnkids

I just think Television had hit it's primetime peak back then and really sucks today.

Last edited:
Don't misunderstand me.:lol The 55 in my ID stands for 1955, the year of my birth. I was watching Howdy Doody in my youth. :darnkids

I just think Television had hit it's primetime peak back then and really sucks today.

Ohhhhhhh.... So you really got to experience some great tv?? Man, some of the shows back in the late 50's and early 60's were the best. I would have loved to be a child back then :lol

I agree, prime time tv is dead. The 80's had good prime time viewing as did the early/mid 90's. I feel towards the close of the millennium was the end of tv as we knew it on major networks. As ABC Family and other stations grew in popularity, many shows went to cable leaving the major networks to be reality based and drama tv.

I was a 70's kid and I used to look at it as a badge of honor that I stayed up until the TV went off. I remember they would show a waving US flag, play the anthem and then static. Staying up past 2 AM as a little was much harder when there was nothing on...

I agree with you, the 90's were a goldenage of T.V. for me.

Star Trek, TNG, DS-9, Voyager ran, Highlander the series, Babylon-5, the x-files, so many great shows were on

Lol... You speak of the 90's as if television was prehistoric :lol
There was cable and there was plenty of stuff to watch...
Try being a kid in the 70's when you literally had three major networks and then a PBS station and that was it :lol
There was afternoon cartoons and Saturday morning cartoons and that was all. And at a certain hour the stations went off the air and you had NO tv to watch at night. And I miss it SOOOOOOOOO much :lol especially Saturday morning cartoons :)

But we are all nostalgic for those years we were young... For you it was the 90's and for me the 70's. These years will forever hold great memories :)

Quoted as DA TRUTH! 70's kid here as well. I SERIOUSLY miss Creature double feature on Saturdays!!

Try being a kid in the 70's when you literally had three major networks and then a PBS station and that was it
There was afternoon cartoons and Saturday morning cartoons and that was all.

and the other dial...UHF

In our area we had 3 UHF stations. 17, 29, and 48 which became WB, FOX, an UPN later on. They had the afternoon and morning cartoons.

...Memories, of the way we were.

I remember setting the alarm on my Omnibot (still have him) to go off on 0530 on Saturday mornings. I'd go downstairs and light the kerosene heater (in the winter) and sit with my cereal and start my cartoons off with Robotech!

Add me to the 'miss the 90s' list.

- TNG
- DS9
- Voyager (weird that they started with a "Season 4"...)
- seaQuest (weird they only made one season)
- Early Edition (I REALLY miss Early Edition....)
- The X-Files
- La Femme Nikita (Okay... that was cable...)
- MST3K
- The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (Hey... where did those crickets come from???)

Though... we did have some pretty great series in the 2000s (most of which were cancelled...):
- Lost
- Futurama
- Doctor Who
- Burn Notice
- Supernatural
- House
- Sherlock

I'm just thankful for the magic of Netflix!

and the other dial...UHF

In our area we had 3 UHF stations. 17, 29, and 48 which became WB, FOX, an UPN later on. They had the afternoon and morning cartoons.

Man, you must be right in my neck of the woods. I remember using my good ol' bunny ears to tune into those channels on Saturday mornings, and making sure I found just the right angle for my antenna so I could watch Power Rangers on Fox 29 without any interruption when I got home from school.

-Nick

Yeah - the 80's truly was the fun decade. They started with Mtv, Pac-Man and the Space Shuttle where the 90's saw the birth of Political Correctness, the LA riots and the Gulf War -

Hell, forget about the 90's, back in the 60's back in NZ, we had one channel, in black and white, we used to be about 2 years behind the world with all shows, Dr Who, Coronation St, Bonanza, Hogan's Heroes etc, then in th early 70s we got a second channel, still black and white.
In 1974 New Zealand got colour television, due to the fact that the Commonwealth Games were in Christchurch, and they wanted to show the world that NZ had colour.
In the late 80's there was a 3rd channel added, and we were pretty well caught up with the world, Eastenders, Oprah, STTNG, Jerry Springer etc.

OT In 1974 the firearms laws in NZ had to be changed to allow the shooting events at the Commonwealth Games to go ahead. In 1977 Sleeping Dogs ( Sam Neiil's first feature film) was shot, and most of the weapons were wooden, as even blank firing firearms were still not strictly legal..

Those shows began before the 1990s.

Ah, to be 'corrected' by someone who thinks they're making a point.

1) It doesn't matter when the show started, it was ON during the 90s.

2) Doctor Who was on my list of good shows from the 2000s - Making the point that both the 90s and 2000s had some good stuff.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back