New Voyagers Omni

Does that mean we're ok to buy the rings from Shapeways or would you advise waiting until everything is finished?
I advise waiting, These parts are not cheap and if there is a change then you are out of luck. But if you are not worried about losing a few bucks feel free to order and give beta feedback.

I got it done, released it, had an order placed, panicked and canceled the order because the lid hinge rod was too thin and I only noticed it after the order was placed. The hinge rod connects to the lid on the inside of the omni body and rotates a mounted magnet that drives a magnetic reed switch. In my 3d program it all works fine, but in reality the rod is 2mm thick and when I grabbed a 2mm thick brass rod from my work shop, I realized the thickness is too thin and would bend and snap under stress. So now that is where I am.

i'm patient on this one...i know the amount of work that would go into something of this caliber.
it takes a lot of time and tweeking to get things right.

But wouldn't having one switch on each side of the omni (one for the red light and the other for the green light) eliminate this problem? Well at least those of us that would not mind the omni that way like the hero props were.

Sounds like you are so close! I'm a customer when it is ready.
It really is close. As you remember from the first run, I caved under the pressure to release it quickly (6 months) and there were tons of things that were not thought out fully. Like the giant magnet glued under the lid. I just don't want to have people waiting 13 years or more for something only to have a Homer Simpson DOH! at the very end.

Do we know the final cost of all the parts will be?
That is another thing im trying to do. The parts need to be adjusted so the mass is lower. Right now, all the parts add up to around $900. I can reduce the body quite a bit, and possibly connect some of the small parts together so they can be snipped apart with wire cutters like you do with a plastic model. Shapeways has a flat rate per item printed, so if I can make 4 or 5 parts all connected that can reduce the cost by well over $100.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back