New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

Can somebody tell me a way to darken the cracks without shoe polish. Like an easy way with something simple.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Well, I would not use shoe polish as it's....well...for shoes! Plus I don't know how long it will last without wearing off. So, paint would be the way to go. An acrylic paint would work nicely. Dab some on a rag and wipe it into the cracks, then clean the excess off of the body. The Apple Barrel stuff at Walmart that costs $1.50 would work on the ABS plastic and it comes in a ton of colors too.

Not sure you'll get too many to agree with that sentiment regarding Tom's Iconic Scarf, mate :p
I quite like the scarf, in fact I'm really eager and in the process to get one :) I just think in later seasons it became too long (and maybe wide too) and Baker himself got annoyed with it (but maybe this information is incorrect, I can't remember where I heard it).
edit: I didn't want to sound like a jerk who is bashing something iconic just to look hip.

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me a way to darken the cracks without shoe polish. Like an easy way with something simple.

I think the shoe polish method pretty mush IS the easiest way to darken the handle, since most people tend to have it on hand.

I think the shoe polish method pretty mush IS the easiest way to darken the handle, since most people tend to have it on hand.

Well I mean. I dont have it on hand, and I dont feel like going to the store to get something that I'll only use once yenno?

Okay so what about the clear column being loose when extended. Has anybody come up with a way to fix that? When I extend mine it doesnt stay straight and you can move it from one side to the other with ease.

I think that's deliberate for 2 reasons. One is that it creates a metal 'chink' as it is extended and retracted. Two is that it is easier for the sonic to recognise the taps.

I think that's deliberate for 2 reasons. One is that it creates a metal 'chink' as it is extended and retracted. Two is that it is easier for the sonic to recognise the taps.

Well it causes problems for me because if its extended and I do a gesture it mistakes it for a different one because it wobbles. It just seems like it should be a lot less wobbly.

I think people need to remember that this is, first and foremost, an electronic gadget, designed for a technical use and not meant for the rigours of rough-handling and in-and-out of your (10th Doc's brown suit) pocket all day. Treat them with a little more care (imagine they cost as much as a MFX, or the never-produced QmX). I'm thinking of getting a soft pouch to put mine in when I want to carry it in my pocket, just to give it a bit more protection.

Mine had these looseness and sliding issues out of the box, it's not a matter of how its being handled or treated. Mine has only been on display. I think its just a second run issu, as my earlier copy of this didnt have these issues.

Well, if one felt confident about opening the sonic up, they might consider the option of putting a thin strip of tape around the bottom of the clear tube (the bit that doesn't stick up past the collar) to tighten the fit?
(I've only unscrewed the bottom portion, but I'm not sure on the upper part.)

Second Doctor's had a light.

The simple fact is that we've been given onscreen confirmation that the Smith sonic has a psychic interface and that "they're all the same device aren't they? Same sonic, different case".

Since, as far as I can recall, we had no definite onscreen mention of the classic sonics operation, the possibility it was also psychic (retroactively) is not a ridiculous argument to make.

Not to dredge up an old conversation, and one with little to do with the thread, but I was re-watching a bunch of Smith's episodes and he says outright to Mag in "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe" that it works psychically. When they're traveling through the vortex in the 'escape pod' and she's thinking of home and her husband, he points it at her and says "This thing works psychically..."

Carry on...

I think the tenth Doctor "reads" the sonic by hearing/looking at the blue line on the handle. I started to think that because Matt Smith "read" his sonic by looking at the green core inside the claws. I thought I should add that.

Has anyone noticed their activation button becoming so sensitive that even the very slightest touch on it activates the sonic? Mine is now this way, and if I even think about carrying it about in my purse it'll be on and continuously activated till the power cell runs out. Also, if I press on the activation button and hold it down while I slide it forward to extend, by the time it gets past the "bump" and is fully extended, the button sticks and it stays on until I move the slider back down past the bump.

It wasn't like this before, so I'm wondering how it could come to be that the button would start behaving like this all on it's own? Also, occasionally when I press the button to switch modes it will announce that it's going through a "test mode" after which I have to shut it down and restart it to get it to stop cycling in and out of "test mode".

Dunno what's going on, but it's a bit troubling as it's behaved fine up till now. any ideas?

Mine is now intermittently doing the exact same thing :cry

Mine is now intermittently doing the exact same thing :cry

The best and easiest solution is to cut down the bump with an exacto knife. It gets easier to slide fully without letting go of the button and if I'm not mistaken the bump is only there for it to stay extended when on the stand. I dont think the prop had that bump.

The best and easiest solution is to cut down the bump with an exacto knife. It gets easier to slide fully without letting go of the button and if I'm not mistaken the bump is only there for it to stay extended when on the stand. I dont think the prop had that bump.

It does it when closed sometimes as well

Well I don't think that's likely to solve the sensitive button issue, since that occurs irrespective of the position of the button; either before or after the bump. It may help in stopping it's tendency to run on when fully extended, but it isn't going to make the button behave properly.

Well I don't think that's likely to solve the sensitive button issue, since that occurs irrespective of the position of the button; either before or after the bump. It may help in stopping it's tendency to run on when fully extended, but it isn't going to make the button behave properly.

Yeah my mistake. I thought you guys were talking about holding the button and sliding up to the bump, thats the only time my button got stuck.

It sounds like the tactile switch below the slider has failed, I would suggest contacting the gentlemen at the wand company, perhaps they may be able to help you. Also you might consider contacting the retailer you purchased it from, to resolve the problem.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back