Nerf Gun Props? YES!

I just created a new thread for my build-up on the Raptorstrike. Check it out --> Soulinertia's Custom Builds - Nerf Mods, Prop Weapons, etc. (Mad WIP pics inside!)

yVC89Qp.jpg

I didn't think I'd ever get this one finished, but I managed to scrape together enough pennies to buy some flat black acrylic for the grime wash. Huzzah! Anyway...

May I introduce Anti-intestinal Fortitude!

qO5Op7N.jpg

A Nerf Mega Doublebreach painted in my usual style of dilapidated hot-rod-esqueness.

vgQZS7U.jpg

Aftermarket graphics, of course...

JbeodG3.jpg

...and for something different, a water droplet mask for that odd-looking polkadot effect. It seemed to work okay, so I might end up using it again on something else.

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, so I hope you're all doing okay :)

edit: Just got my 250 likes award from RPF - thanks to everyone who has liked my posts over the years :)

Last edited:
I didn't think I'd ever get this one finished, but I managed to scrape together enough pennies to buy some flat black acrylic for the grime wash. Huzzah! Anyway...

May I introduce Anti-intestinal Fortitude!

View attachment 1016524

A Nerf Mega Doublebreach painted in my usual style of dilapidated hot-rod-esqueness.

View attachment 1016525

Aftermarket graphics, of course...

View attachment 1016526

...and for something different, a water droplet mask for that odd-looking polkadot effect. It seemed to work okay, so I might end up using it again on something else.

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, so I hope you're all doing okay :)

edit: Just got my 250 likes award from RPF - thanks to everyone who has liked my posts over the years :)

You really have some stunning paint techquinues. Your rust looks simply awesome! Nice work.

New year, new nerfs, new techniques, This year is going to be good fun :)

May I introduce my latest relic, a scavenged ex-service blaster I have dubbed "The Rearranginator".

View attachment 980998

Same ol' rust technique I've done dozens of times but with an extra wash on the bare metal parts just to see what would happen; the new antique leather technique outlined in my post above; and just for fun, some hand-painted graffiti, because when you find a blaster in the post-apoc wasteland, the first thing you do is personalize it ;)

View attachment 980999

...and some cool news - I have an exhibition of my customized Nerf collection opening next week at a little gallery called PhotonFlux here in Wellington, NZ. It'll open on the 29th of this month and run for 2 weeks. If you're down in this neck of the woods, drop on in and have a look.

Have a good one everybody :)

Wow, this is some awesome work, I'm really impressed!
The only thing distracting me from the great paintwork on the gun is the background. The gun is very colorful so it almost disappears in front of that stone wall. I think a simple, single-colored background would help to study and enjoy all the details even more.
Just my two cents. ;)

Wow, this is some awesome work, I'm really impressed!
The only thing distracting me from the great paintwork on the gun is the background. The gun is very colorful so it almost disappears in front of that stone wall. I think a simple, single-colored background would help to study and enjoy all the details even more.
Just my two cents. ;)
Thanks Watto, kind of you to say.
I'm mostly limited to outdoor photography, due to the old iPhone I use, and the environment around my house is all very old and mostly in shade - this wall is one of the few spots that gets sun throughout most of the year. We do the best with what we have available... :D

Thanks Watto, kind of you to say.
I'm mostly limited to outdoor photography, due to the old iPhone I use, and the environment around my house is all very old and mostly in shade - this wall is one of the few spots that gets sun throughout most of the year. We do the best with what we have available... :D

I understand and most of your awesome work looks terrific in front of that wall. It's just this one, that is pretty much camouflaged in front of it. Probably because of the rust... ;)

I'm new here just started but her are some of my work

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551231684634.jpg_1551231690876.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551231684634.jpg_1551231690876.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 307
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1550442596875.jpg_1550442600489.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1550442596875.jpg_1550442600489.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 250
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1549163239332.jpg_1549163254451.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1549163239332.jpg_1549163254451.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 303
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547599761647.jpg_1547599787358.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547599761647.jpg_1547599787358.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 174
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547599808376.jpg_1547599814656.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547599808376.jpg_1547599814656.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 211
  • received_943044832753267.jpeg
    received_943044832753267.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 309
Good day all!
I'd like to introduce myself and my work. My name is Josh and I have been painting and customizing Nerf blasters for a little over a year now. This hobby of mine started with picking up some Nerf blasters at Goodwill and playing Nerf with my kids. Being the tinkerer I am, I decided to try to "mod" some blasters to shoot better. That worked out well, but my kids didn't enjoy getting shot anymore. :(
I really like the look of a lot of Nerf blasters, but hated the colors they came in. And that started the hobby... Now a year or so later, I have completed 10 paint jobs, sold 2, have 3 more in the works, and another 15 or so untouched (so far) blasters. Though I have "modded" some of them, most of the internals remain stock as I am going for more aesthetics than function.
Over the next week or so I will try to post a project a day and give some info on parts and process. My later works include 3D printed parts, some are my own design, some are purchased, and some are from Thingverse.com. I will give credit to the designers in each post.
I welcome constructive criticism and know that my work is not the best. Generally I try to dissemble sand, and hand wash all parts of the blaster before painting, then, after the job is done, put a couple of coats of sealer on it for durability, though it does not always hold as well as I would like.

Today's work was my first creation and my first sale. My favorite Nerf blaster is the Rapidstrike so I decided to go with the standard army green and black, I weathered it using dry brush silver. The blasters tip is still orange. Both the scope and muzzle were purchased from ebay for around $10 each.

Note: Yes, I know it still says "Nerf" on the side of it. Most of my works still have that as all of them (currently) are for my own personal collection, though I may decided to sell some later.

Let me know what you think! Thanks

Risingsunn
20180830_181257.jpg

20180902_083519.jpg

20180902_083543.jpg

20180902_083622.jpg

Day 2 of my build list. This is the one and only "Jyn Erso" Nerf blaster I have been able to find in my Goodwill hunts. It really is a shame as this one has some of the best potential for cosplay/prop usage.

Nerf Product: Jyn Erso blaster
Accesories:N-Strike Raider Stock
Generic ebay airsoft\nerf scope $10
PVP pipe 3/4 and 1 inch
3/4 - 1 inch pipe adapter
20 year old computer video card heat sink
Color pallet: Vinyl Dye flat black rattlecan
Brushed copper rattlecan
brown
crimson red
Antique brass

And yes, on this one, I DID remove the NERF logo. ;)

My idea for this one was all over the board, I wanted to go for a steampunk(ish)/Star Wars sniper rifle feel, and am not sure I hit either very well. I do think it turned out pretty good though. I think I improved my dry brush technique with this one as well. Obviously the suppressor and the barrel is PVC pipe. I wanted to add something more to the blaster but didnt want to go too far so I thought the heatsink on the side was a good addition. Hope you like!

Josh
20181202_150056.jpg

20181202_150117.jpg

20181202_150331.jpg

Last edited:
Since I have bit more time today, I will throw up blaster #4. The Nerf Hyperfire was(and still is) one of the best shooting blasters out. To me though, it is not one of the best looking ones. This damn thing was the bane of my existence for about 2 weeks.

EDIT: Odd, this was my second post of the day, my first post was the Demolisher post which is next. Both got taken down, so I reposted the Demolisher post again. Now THIS post is back up but not my first. If I said or did something, please let me know so I don't do it again. Thanks!

Nerf Product: Hyperfire Elite (photo HERE)
Accesories:
Hyperfire barrel attachment by Aydelott
3D printed Muzzle Battery Case Lock by tungstenexe
Color pallet: Vinyl Dye black rattlecan
Flat white rattlecan
Brushed copper rattlecan
gold paint pen
Inspired by: unknown/ cannot locate original link

After doing a rough sanding on the rounded trigger and grip area, I discovered the paint would still not stick very well. I ended up having to sand and repaint just ONE side, 3 times. It turned out ok, but I think is my roughest work yet. Many months later, after buying my 3D printer, I wanted to see if I could make it look any better with some printed parts. However it did not do much to help.

I have another Hyperfire on hand and am looking to do some MAJOR surgery to and 3D printed augmentations on, in hopes of getting it to look like a ... Well, stay tuned and find out.

I know that this post SCREAMS Nerf blaster and not prop design, but I promise all my other designs are much more prop forum appropriate, so thank you for your patience. ;)

Josh

20190828_090304.jpg

20190828_090319.jpg
;)

Last edited:
Day 3 of Risingsunn's Nerf builds.
Nerf Product: Demolisher 2 in 1 blaster
Accessories: Recon CS-6 stock
Generic Ebay red dot sight ($12)
Generic Ebay Nerf Suppresor (can also be printed from design HERE)
Color pallet: Vinyl Dye black rattlecan
Colonial red rattlecan
Brushed copper rattlecan
Inspired by: NA/Original concept (or at least didn't see it anywhere else)

The Nerf Demolisher is a decent looking blaster except for the crummy "launcher" on the bottom. I remedied that by removing it altogether and using the pump grip to fill the hole. I picture the Demolisher as a large caliber sub machine gun similar to the UMP45. I decided to try something new in the way of paint scheme and when for a dragon scale kind of look that I learned from a Youtube vid by Commando Designs (HERE).

The effect is accomplished by laying down a base coat, then putting a mesh laundry bag over it and painting a secondary color. For the body of the blaster and suppressor it was red on black and for the magazine, black on red.

I am not sure why but I kept both the Nerf logo and the orange tip under the suppressor.

As always comments, suggestions, or creative criticism is welcome.
20190828_090137.jpg
20190828_090201.jpg
20181202_150959.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back