Need opinions- best adhesive for Vader lightsaber grips

DARTH SABER

Master Member
I have a Roman MPP which im planning to covert soon so Im taking a consensus on what people are using to attach their grips to the MPP.

I currently have Wannawangas grips and was wondering what you would suggest as the best for attaching them to such a smooth shiny surface.

Prepping tips also welcome.
Thanks.

E6000 seems to be working well on my Roman's Graflex with Wannawanga grips, which isn't as shiny as the MPP. It's also not subjected to any abuse, just normal handling.

Only prep I did was isopropyl alcohol on the body and grips to clean everything. I had previously attached the grips using very thin carpet tape, which didn't work at all for me. I don't quite remember how long it took each grip to set enough for me to move onto the next, but I don't think it was a full hour or anything.

E6000 all day long

Michaels crafts actually has black e6000, I’ve always used clear. But that’s a option too

Years ago I bought some Ultra High Bond acrylic tape that I used to attach the grips on all of my flash-based sabers and none of them have moved even a millimeter.

While this is not the website where I purchased it, this is the same stuff:

FA-UHB10C UHB Foam Tape [Clear Acrylic] 36 Yard Rolls

Don't let the word "foam" fool you - it's a thin, stretchy, clear tape that sticks like a muther effer. If I remember correctly I paid over $60 for a roll and the company that I purchased it from also charged me a fee to cut the roll down into 1/4" widths, since 1/4" wide rolls of this particular tape weren't standard at that time (and still might not be). Yeah, it's crazy expensive, but it's great stuff and it's a lot easier, simpler, and cleaner to apply and use than epoxies and other adhesives.

Years ago I bought some Ultra High Bond acrylic tape that I used to attach the grips on all of my flash-based sabers and none of them have moved even a millimeter.

While this is not the website where I purchased it, this is the same stuff:

FA-UHB10C UHB Foam Tape [Clear Acrylic] 36 Yard Rolls

Don't let the word "foam" fool you - it's a thin, stretchy, clear tape that sticks like a muther effer. If I remember correctly I paid over $60 for a roll and the company that I purchased it from also charged me a fee to cut the roll down into 1/4" widths, since 1/4" wide rolls of this particular tape weren't standard at that time (and still might not be). Yeah, it's crazy expensive, but it's great stuff and it's a lot easier, simpler, and cleaner to apply and use than epoxies and other adhesives.

I found it on Amazon in 1/4" widths https://www.amazon.com/FA-UHB10C-Ac...am+tape&qid=1549761490&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

E6000 does take 24 hours to dry

It also takes vibration being silicone, so it's MUCH better than epoxy, which is brittle.

But, how does one do a full set of grips in one day?

For 7 gripped (no screws) sabers I also like to use VHB Tape, which I think is for automotive use, and comes in the exact width of T track. But you can technically see it, it lifts the track up 1 mm or so, but it's black and has never bothered me. THAT stuff I throw in junk drawers and grips won't come off.

E6000 is great, but I always hate putting on grips because I am like a kid with Elmer's with this stuff.

The second you nip the tip for use it just WANTS to come out. The cap gets goopy, it's not a precise application, I accidentally use too much... I hate it... but it does work great

Last edited:
I Picked up both and will be testing them

Question regarding E6000-

So it takes 24hrs to dry, which is fine by me, but does it also mean that for the first hour or so it wont be strong enough even hold the grips in place?

Dont want the slow drying time to result in grips slowly sliding off the curved body of the saber in the middle of the night or slow dripping.

I Picked up both and will be testing them

Question regarding E6000-

So it takes 24hrs to dry, which is fine by me, but does it also mean that for the first hour or so it wont be strong enough even hold the grips in place?

Dont want the slow drying time to result in grips slowly sliding off the curved body of the saber in the middle of the night or slow dripping.

I used e6000 on my TK armor. It gets pretty tacky in the first few minutes, so it should be good to hold the grips on.

Sean

I've moved onto grip 3 and the grip 1 was starting to slide. I've even stood it on end and they've started to tip away from the flash while I'm glueing others. You have to wait longer than you'd expect,

I fully think I am missing some trick to successfully using them for grips

I've only ever done it with a Graflex, which opens in the middle to make it really easy to get them all on then slap a rubber band on the top and bottom to hold them to the tube.

It's been a while since I did it, but I may have even put the rubber bands on first. They'll still slide around a bit as you put them on, but E6000 takes long enough to set up that you should be able to still move them around and get them snug and in place.

When I did mine with E6000 I just did one T track at a time. Laying the saber on its side with the track being glued on top. Stuck flash on a set of blocks to keep it from rolling around and maintain the position. The E6000 takes a while to setup so any motion or position that exposes the track to gravity will result in heartache :( Just have to be patient and take it one strip at a time. So the attachment of the grips becomes a week long project. However, once done and dry it holds great! I think if you want to do more than one at a time you need to use one of the double sided tape methods. Just my 2 cents based on my own experience.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back