WIP: Samurai Vader build

niugnep

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm in the 501st... so obviously I'm nuts about Star Wars. I thought wouldn't it be nice to make a Samurai/Vader mashup...

I went into this project with a few requirements in my head. One, I wanted it to immediately be recognized as Darth Vader and a Samurai, simultaneously. To me that meant making sure all the recognizable elements of both elements... the recognizable parts for Vader for me are the helmet and face, the silver/black shoulder piece, the chest box, belt boxes and cape. For the samurai part, the helmet (again), the mail being tied together with cord, the hakama, the gloves, the katana, and the shoes. Finally... because it's Vader, no skin can be showing... Even samurai Darth Vader needs his iron lung.

First, the reference material. I've been using a few sites as reference. The main site I use is the incredibly detailed samurai armor build page by Anthony Bryant. Simply invaluable for this project. The other page I used for cutting out the Dô (the breastplate) is a very nice instructable page.

Next I gathered the materials I needed. Here's the basic rundown:

A Rubies Darth Vader costume
4x4 3mm thick Sintra
Utility knife with lots of extra blades
Dremel
100+ yards 3/8 paracord in your chosen color (you will use a LOT of cord)
Drill with a 3/8 bit
Heat gun
3 cans Rust-oleum Lacquer black spray paint
2 cans Rust-oleum Glaze spray pain
Hot glue gun
Chosen fabric for making the hakama and hitatare
Wide, single fold bias tape

Okay... I'm not very good at drawing, but I attempted to do a sketch of my concept so I can get a rough idea of what I'm doing.

13155330664_330e698c98.jpg

See? Absolutely horrible drawing skills!

The first step was cutting out templates for the dô in posterboard. This was great for test fitting. I realized that I didn't need the second to bottom lame (each individual plate) because it was cause problems if I wanted to sit down. Samurai's can sit down! There are a lot of reference pictures on the internet to prove this. ;)

You'll want to make you bottom lame half the width of your widest part of your torso. You want it come halfway around your body.

Okay, here's where hindsight rears it's ugly head. In hindsight, this is the point at which I should have started thinking about the chestbox and how I will intrigrate it into the costume. At the stage I'm at now, I'm having to go back and figure it out when it's much harder to take care off. I would have done the templates differently. But more on this later.

13221929524_5e9d5b2914.jpg

Okay... so the templates are done. Trace the templates to the Sintra (I found that blue permanent marker shows up very nicely on black Sintra). Next, cut the piece out with your utility blade. It's a bitch and a half. Take your time though... if you mess up, you can possibly fix it with the heatgun, but it's a pain. Anyway... cut cut cut. Finally, you'll have all your pieces ready for the heat gun.

14159130931_9e4cb3d0e2.jpg

Take your time and start forming the pieces in the basic shape of your body.

13975819680_95dee71072.jpg

As you can see here, the second to bottom lame was removed.

Don't worry if it's not exact, we'll be fixing this later. Time to start drilling your holes for your lacing. Do NOT do this before the heatgun process. This will deform the holes. It's best to do this after it's heat-formed. I didn't take a picture of the drilling process, but get ready for some time consuming tedium. I used the templates for lacing holes here. I used the 3/8 template. This is pretty much your life saver. I'd mark the back of the Sintra and then drill baby, drill.

Here's a picture of one of four kusazuri (upper thigh/groin armor) with holes so you can see how this is all supposed to work together. Later on, I drilled a row of two holes in the bottom for decoration thread.

14182547613_7d4389a9c6.jpg

So time to paint. No pictures of this process, but I used Rust-oleum black lacquer paint. Geniune samurai armor is leather or metal that's then coated with lacquer. I'm not doing that, so paint was the next best thing. I finished it off with a clear glaze spray paint to give it a very shiny appearance.

After that, you lace your dô up. Get used doing this... you'll be doing this a lot. I found that the best way was to do one string that did both sides of a row and then lace all the rows in unison. But, whatever works for you. The process takes awhile and is pretty tedious, but I developed a real appreciation for this ingenious method of attaching scales to form something solid.

Next (I jumped around a lot in my build, so logically "next'), I realized that the way I wanted the cape to fall wouldn't completely cover the sides, so I would have to make small "wing" pieces that would be attached to the front and then further attached to fabric with a zipper up the middle of the back to secure the chest plate.

14162494285_0985d28a79.jpg

Instead of overlapping like the front, aestically, I liked the pieces butting up against one another. It also made it easier when it came to fabric gluing time. These pieces are held together with single fold wide bias tape which I then glued to the Sintra to create a smooth line.

13975846450_6a8ffb771d.jpg

13975852008_ee9652916c.jpg

So you can see how the two pieces fit together. Underneath this is another piece of fabric that's hot glued to the whole thing. No idea yet as to how sturdy this whole thing will be at these hot glue points. I'll have to troop it in a little bit to get a better idea.

14147897756_9e2f3fae36.jpg

Zipper up the back, although not traditional, makes getting it on and off a breeze.

Attaching it to the should piece takes some thought because this is the first time your working with the existing rubies suit. There's no going back from a mess up here.

14162477615_176a092850.jpg

This how I choose to attach my dô to the shoulder pieces. The red paracord is only to make it easier to see visually for the picture. Also, you'll notice the blue painter's tape. That's where I'm going to trim the exisitng shoulder piece so I can attach my sode (shoulder armor) to the vader shoulder piece. I kept this instead of making my own because I feel that this is so distinctive to the look of vader that if I made my own, I'd be doing a close copy anyway.

14159143341_7b67594857.jpg

Another view with the right side trimmed already.

14182592743_e9381bb825.jpg

My dog, Molly, modeling the shoulder piece for me. Come to the darkside and together we shall rule all the milkbones!

14162483155_4d4fcdfc3a.jpg

So, here it is almost complete. The sode is about five plates about 10" long. You can see the many holes in the bottom of the plate for the left shoulder. This will contain cord that serves now purpose except as decoration. The silver plate that's attached to the shoulder is "permanently" attached with e6000 because I didn't want it slipping or falling at cons and becoming a major wardrope malfuntion. The cord that "attaches" it to the shoulder is merely for show. I suppose it gives it extra protection from falling, but the glue would have to fail first.

13975837408_5b21838eb3.jpg

The real bitch about this is that to butt up against the raised black part of the shoulder bell is NOT a straight line. I had to trace an approximation of the weird curve it does there, then carefully make that happen with a dremel. Wear a mask and gloves as this Sintra dust is crazy and it's probably given me cancer.

One finally thing to do here for me is to actually put a ridge that runs vertically between the black and the silver part. This traditional of samurai armor and something I've decided I would like on my armor... but it's very low on my priority list ATM.

14171218555_696ed70f2e.jpg

Here's what the torso selection will look like (mostly) complete. I haven't permanently attached the sode yet because of the work I still have left to do with the chestbox (more later) and I can't decide between the silver or black cord to attach the sode to the shoulder. But, it's starting to look like samurai armor!

Next... we'll tackle the helmet. This is basically the same stuff we've already done, the only fly in the oinment being the translating the extreme curve of the back of the helmet to a 2D space and then back again. The hole placement took a lot of goes before I was happy. I HIGHLY recommend paper/postboard templates for this part. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run because you can easily bend it around the form to see how it will look.

14162568954_6631da3843.jpg

First mark the helmet. The bottom edge of the second piece of tape is my cut line. The bottom piece of tape in total is my overlap. I'm not going to bother recreating the ridge that continues down the back of the helmet in my lames, so I just tried my best to factor it out of the process. The trick here is to figure out how many lames you are going to use to keep the helmet the same relative size. In my case, I used 3 lames, with the last lame being slightly fatter in the middle than the rest.

With these guides, I was able to make my paper template of the bottom of the helmet.

13975817287_178c1a02c3.jpg

13975824597_5d43a6ab37.jpg

Figuring out the hole placement is the real tricky part. Use the hole template and then modify the spacing for a curved surface until it all starts to line up.

14182553123_46a8a987ee.jpg

Cutting this in the Sintra is tricky. Just take your time.

13975814949_bfbaa2dc00.jpg

I transferred my hole pattern for the first lame to the tape for drilling.

14162575714_2fd3fc7fd0.jpg

Carefully cut along the tape line (this part will be under a armor lame, so it's not the end of the world if it's not perfect)... but it does make you nervous, none-the-less. I used a dremel rotary cutting attachment to get through this hard plastic. You can see my already heat-formed and a painted helmet armor lames in the background. Just need to lace it all up.

13975840570_96673f88d9.jpg

Start putting it all together. After it was all laced up, I used hotglue to secure it down to give it a slicker look.

13975817919_3caab807a9.jpg

From the front it looks almost normal, but boy is striking from an angle!

Okay. So that's enough for now. I've done a few other things: I've sewn the hakama (pants) and hiatare (shirt). I've also started work on the haidate (thigh armor panel).

Some of the things left to do:

Making and attaching a imperial crest to the helmet.
Attach the kusazuri to the dô.
Finish the haidate. DONE
Install the chest box into the dô. (which in hindsight, I would have done totally differently than I'm forced to do now that the dô is built).
Make the kote (arm and hand armored sleeve)
Make some geta (wooden sandals)
Make the obi (the cloth belt that ties around the waist)
Make the lightsaber katana which can be sheathed (which I have NO IDEA on how to accomplish ATM... IDEAS ARE VERY WELCOME!)

I'll be updating as a cross things off or add to this list.

Last edited:
All I want to say is duuuuuuude.

That looks awesome. I feel like I saw a drawing or custom figure or something of this concept before (loved it then too!)

You going to do anything with the saber? I'm picturing Vader using an old Sith blade now and I'll never be able to watch star wars the same way again.

Something like this in other colors perhaps? Made this a while ago as to act as Yoshimitsu's blade but I never made a costume to go with it...

21042011617.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm hoping to have this project finished in a few weeks barring some sudden surge of workload.

As far as swords go, what I want to do is a lightsaber katana type weapon that can be sheathed and worn as a samurai would wear it, tucked into the obi.

I have no idea how this was made or where it was obtained from, but this is the closest I've been able to find online of something similar to what I'm looking for... obviously in red instead of pink ;)

7930030868_9e930325fc_z.jpg

Wow, loving this project! Cant wait to see more!

As for the light katana in the picture, she probably used electroluminescent tape or El Tape. Its pretty neat stuff!

Maybe the tape used to "light" up that katana is the same as in this thread... http://www.therpf.com/f79/obi-wan-anh-costume-bladed-lightsaber-video-195565/

That is a cool idea for photos and I'll probably use that on a second katana.

The katana in the picture though is lit from the inside... there are two other pictures I've seen of this that definitively prove it. I don't think it's EL wire... I thought about it at first, but I have a fair amount of experience with EL wire and it's great... in the dark, but it's really not that bright in daylight or lit rooms. In a well lit convention space, it would be virtually nothing.

The problem I have with visually the katana isn't necessarily how to light it, it's how to make it so I can light it. In other words, how do I make an acrylic (or similar material) version of a katana that's hollow so I can put lights in it... WITH the least amount of work time?

I've thought of two possible ways. 1) Cut two pieces of acrylic sheeting to shape and hollow channel out the center. Then install the lights and glue the pieces together. Finally sand it to shape. This route seems like a helluva lot of work though. 2) Vacuform two pieces, using the stang of real katana as the buck. Install lights and glue the pieces together.

My idea for lighting it once I have the channel is to use LED strips powered by a bank of AA that I can hide in the handle. Not really sure how that would work just yet because to the get the power requirements I'd have to have 8 AA batteries... that's possibly more than the space I have room for... anyway, problem for another day.

To get the thing to glow, I would just make it semi-translucent with fine sandpaper.

Currently, I'm building out a 900 sq ft workshop space out this month that will have a vacuform table (among other things) in it, so I'm going to start working on that problem then.

UPDATE:

Finished the Haidate tonight.

I used part of the undersuit for the crappy Rubies Vader actually. Glad I didn't throw it out.

Cut the pants off just below the bottom of the zipper and then seam ripped the whole thing... I could've cut it, but I wasn't sure how much I was going to use. To each their own... I just ripped it while watching TV.

13975855078_53d31c3601.jpg

So then we're going to find where hits the top of the knees and make it that long. Course we're going to be turning the leg upside down. Also the very top of this will be under your armor, so I just used some simple webbing I had laying around (it came off the strap for the chest box, which I've been cutting up and removing the electronics out of... but more on that later). I sewed it over to create a sleeve for it run through... viola.

14139328466_099ffe2e8a.jpg

The raw edges suck with the stupid padding... so sew some red single fold wide bias tape to that sucker!

13975895570_e697fee285.jpg

In the instructable that I linked too in my first post for reference, he just just painted golden squares on his haidate to simulate armor plates. Well, I think that's BS. Even though it's going to take longer, I'm going to take some plastic that I got from the industrial plastic place called "sign tuff". It's thin and heat formable. It's also pretty light. Quick side note here, make friends with your local plastic supply house. I called them and asked them for a tour and they gave me one! Answered all the questions I had and then gave me samples of some of the plastic... include the sign tuff. Yes, I totally geeked out on a plastic supplier's warehouse.

Anyway... cut it to size of the haidate. The armor plates should go about halfway up the total haidate to protect the thighs.

I wanted to do a little imperial cog on mine.

14002781748_f3118f0561.jpg

I wanted to give it a sorta rough painted look. Not perfect. So, even though you won't believe me, but the slight bleeding of the spray paint was intentional.

Finally, glue the squares down (it helps to number them, BTW, so you know which way is up) and then sew them in with your embroidery floss.

14002794370_cbbec90abe.jpg

Cross one haidate off the list.

UPDATE:

Finished the kote tonight.

So, the pattern is taken from Anthony Bryant's wonderful site on samurai armor. I'm using a black suiting material to be what I affectionally refer to as a "mitten sleeve". The mitten is going to be the top. You can do it differently, but that's how I choose to do it. You cut out just the mitten part to be the other side.

14023547110_436ddb585c.jpg

I used some faux leather that I painted with the black lacquer. There are a TON of ways to arrange this look. Bryant's site has a more than a few examples. Again, just the way I choose do mine. I'm not using the plastic here because I really couldn't think of a great way to attach the plastic armor to the sleeves without severely hindering my ability to pick up things and hold a katana, etc etc.

14206886951_d0fda5115c.jpg

I top stitched them to the fabric (This is the right arm).

14206891981_ffa75f3a7b.jpg

And this is what the finished sleeve looks like.

14023518048_301896720f.jpg

And FINALLY, I feel that I'm getting to the part where I can start seeing how this all looks like together (well most of it). Please excuse the mess. ;)

14230358803_3a4ffff5e3.jpg

And from the back that will covered by the cape.

14206902831_efc7443e14.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back