Need opinions- best adhesive for Vader lightsaber grips

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DARTH SABER, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I have a Roman MPP which im planning to covert soon so Im taking a consensus on what people are using to attach their grips to the MPP.

I currently have Wannawangas grips and was wondering what you would suggest as the best for attaching them to such a smooth shiny surface.

Prepping tips also welcome.
    Thanks.

2. mrwax

mrwax Active Member

E6000 seems to be working well on my Roman's Graflex with Wannawanga grips, which isn't as shiny as the MPP. It's also not subjected to any abuse, just normal handling.

Only prep I did was isopropyl alcohol on the body and grips to clean everything. I had previously attached the grips using very thin carpet tape, which didn't work at all for me. I don't quite remember how long it took each grip to set enough for me to move onto the next, but I don't think it was a full hour or anything.

3. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

E6000 all day long

Michaels crafts actually has black e6000, I’ve always used clear. But that’s a option too

4. DARTH SABER

Thanks, ill look into it.

Any specific variant of e600??

5. DARTH SABER

Whats the difference in the black e6000?

6. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Years ago I bought some Ultra High Bond acrylic tape that I used to attach the grips on all of my flash-based sabers and none of them have moved even a millimeter.

While this is not the website where I purchased it, this is the same stuff:

FA-UHB10C UHB Foam Tape [Clear Acrylic] 36 Yard Rolls

Don't let the word "foam" fool you - it's a thin, stretchy, clear tape that sticks like a * effer. If I remember correctly I paid over $60 for a roll and the company that I purchased it from also charged me a fee to cut the roll down into 1/4" widths, since 1/4" wide rolls of this particular tape weren't standard at that time (and still might not be). Yeah, it's crazy expensive, but it's great stuff and it's a lot easier, simpler, and cleaner to apply and use than epoxies and other adhesives.

Concord37 likes this.
  7. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

it's black.

8. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I found it on Amazon in 1/4" widths https://www.amazon.com/FA-UHB10C-Ac...am+tape&qid=1549761490&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

DARTH SABER likes this.
  9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

E6000 does take 24 hours to dry

It also takes vibration being silicone, so it's MUCH better than epoxy, which is brittle.

But, how does one do a full set of grips in one day?

For 7 gripped (no screws) sabers I also like to use VHB Tape, which I think is for automotive use, and comes in the exact width of T track. But you can technically see it, it lifts the track up 1 mm or so, but it's black and has never bothered me. THAT stuff I throw in junk drawers and grips won't come off.

10. D48thRonin

11. DARTH SABER

Lol, ok.
    I thought it had some different properties the other one.

12. DARTH SABER

13. SethS

SethS Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

E6000 is great, but I always hate putting on grips because I am like a kid with Elmer's with this stuff.

The second you nip the tip for use it just WANTS to come out. The cap gets goopy, it's not a precise application, I accidentally use too much... I hate it... but it does work great

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    thd9791 likes this.
  14. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used a clear 5mil VHB tape. R2 builders use it to bond their skin layers together.

matty matt and thd9791 like this.
  15. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

VHB tape is great. E6000 works too but it’s kind of messy.

16. DARTH SABER

I Picked up both and will be testing them

Question regarding E6000-

So it takes 24hrs to dry, which is fine by me, but does it also mean that for the first hour or so it wont be strong enough even hold the grips in place?

Dont want the slow drying time to result in grips slowly sliding off the curved body of the saber in the middle of the night or slow dripping.

thd9791 likes this.
  17. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

I used e6000 on my TK armor. It gets pretty tacky in the first few minutes, so it should be good to hold the grips on.

Sean

DARTH SABER likes this.
  18. thd9791

I've moved onto grip 3 and the grip 1 was starting to slide. I've even stood it on end and they've started to tip away from the flash while I'm glueing others. You have to wait longer than you'd expect,

I fully think I am missing some trick to successfully using them for grips

DARTH SABER likes this.
  19. TheUnchosenOne

TheUnchosenOne Member

I've only ever done it with a Graflex, which opens in the middle to make it really easy to get them all on then slap a rubber band on the top and bottom to hold them to the tube.

It's been a while since I did it, but I may have even put the rubber bands on first. They'll still slide around a bit as you put them on, but E6000 takes long enough to set up that you should be able to still move them around and get them snug and in place.

DARTH SABER likes this.
  20. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

When I did mine with E6000 I just did one T track at a time. Laying the saber on its side with the track being glued on top. Stuck flash on a set of blocks to keep it from rolling around and maintain the position. The E6000 takes a while to setup so any motion or position that exposes the track to gravity will result in heartache :( Just have to be patient and take it one strip at a time. So the attachment of the grips becomes a week long project. However, once done and dry it holds great! I think if you want to do more than one at a time you need to use one of the double sided tape methods. Just my 2 cents based on my own experience.

21. SpeedRacerx

SpeedRacerx Active Member

No way am I as experienced as much as some others like my man halliwax . However, I have used both epoxy and double-sided 3M-like tape and both worked extremely well. The tape doesn't sit quite as flush as the epoxy/E6000, however you could calm some OCD by the fact that it isn't asss permanent as the epoxy. If you choose to use E6000 or another epoxy, my only suggestion is error on the lighter side of the amount applied. Any excess epoxy that may splurge out will set fast and is not fun to clean up. Good luck!

22. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Exactly how I do it, 1 track glued on a night with e6000

23. SethS

I just got the tape JoeG recommended. It's changed my life. I have all these custom sabers waiting for grips-- I HATE working with the E6000 and putting on grips. This tape is great though, it very similar to what Roman and Korbanth use on their pre-cut grips.

AnubisGuard likes this.
  24. D48thRonin

*AHEM* Who was it that recommended it again? ;)

JoeG likes this.
  25. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I personally use JB Weld’s ClearWeld for my grips.

It is a gift from the gods...

Any excess cleans up easily, sets in 5 minutes, and has outstanding strength.

And—it’s got a great taste.

1AC3C86C-1C34-4C99-B782-20D170D42AB7.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 4:42 PM
  26. SethS

Ha! Sorry-- I just his link to the smaller size. But yes-- thank you!

27. D48thRonin

It's all good - he *did* find it on Amazon for the win! (y)

JoeG likes this.
  28. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

How does it handle the t track channel not matching the curvature of the flash body?

29. D48thRonin

I can answer that... if you just put one strip down the channel it doesn't work very well at all. I use two strips - if you overlap them and run part of each strip out onto the flat part of the t track it works great.

AnubisGuard likes this.
  30. SethS

Exactly that-- if you double it up, it fills the channel perfectly.

31. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Okay, thanks.

I feel like that would collect dust super well.

32. D48thRonin

Well, you don't have to place the tape strips all the way out to the edges of the t track - I think that would definitely grab dust. You just have to get it over that curve where the channel transitions into the flats - that, in combination with the two layers in the channel, does the trick. (y)

AnubisGuard and thd9791 like this.
  33. thd9791

I use VHB tape that is the same width of the track, and it squishes up into the glue channel

halliwax likes this.
  34. D48thRonin

And does that collect dust?

35. thd9791

I hadn't thought of this until it came up today - here are two of my sabers that I used VHB on. There is some dust. Very little, not sure if the camera even picked it up 20190213_234744.jpg 20190213_234828.jpg

36. SethS

Like this:

Attached Files:

halliwax and AnubisGuard like this.
  37. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I will have to pick some up and try it.