My Tron Legacy Costume Attempt

Quick question about the custom discs you're making. Will they be using the 6 miniature "watch style" 12v batteries, like the ones that come in the disc?

I saw on a post that you said it lasted about 5 hours before going a bit dimmer, how long did the lights eventually last? Is there a way to put in a AA or 9V battery holder, or is there not enough room?

PS: I couldn't post on the disc forum itself, maybe because I don't have enough posts under my belt or something?

Quick question about the custom discs you're making. Will they be using the 6 miniature "watch style" 12v batteries, like the ones that come in the disc?

I saw on a post that you said it lasted about 5 hours before going a bit dimmer, how long did the lights eventually last? Is there a way to put in a AA or 9V battery holder, or is there not enough room?

PS: I couldn't post on the disc forum itself, maybe because I don't have enough posts under my belt or something?

Yeah, I think you need to be a member for a month with at least 30 posts or something like that to post in the Junkyard.

As for the batteries, I decided to ditch the existing button battery idea. I'm now including a separate 12v battery with each order. I left one in for 72hrs and it was still going. I couldn't get a 9v battery to fit with both LED strips.

Thanks for the response. That's perfect, I was hoping to ditch the tiny watch batteries.

I saw that you mentioned that the flanges / ridges on the outer disc are not present on your version. Does that mean that the outer disc is completely smooth?

Also, I have some rare earth magnets from ebay. I saw that I can order some from you as well, are these already modified to fit in the little nubs? Or can I make due with the ones I already have?

Thanks again for all your help, I know you're probably slammed. I'm really excited to purchase this from you, I hope it gives you a little pocket change to continue the awesome mods.

By flanges, I mean to say that the tabs which connect to the supports on the inside of the disc are not present to allow room for the LEDs. The tiny ridge details on the blade itself are present though. Basic kit rings on the other hand will have the flanges because they are needed for the existing LEDs that come with the factory disc to connect to. Hope that makes sense.

The magnets are pretty standard. Full kits come with a set of 8, 4 for the disc and 4 to mount on your costume. But I'm also offering them separately if you want an extra set. I'll post more pics on my disc thread soon so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Fantastic work Soul. I purchased one of your Tron Disc and im so cant wait to get it. Good Job with the Hex print also, if you do begin to sell i will for sure purchase some. Cant wait to see your finished product. I also have been looking into purchasing EL Tape for I am starting to collect pieces to begin my Legacy Costume also. I found some pretty affordable on amazon.com from a distributor. Ill see if i can find it and toss you the link . Good luck

Thanks to everyone here who has or is sharing their knowledge and tips learned from trial and error. The photos are inspiring and everyone is doing such an amazing job. I am happy I found this forum! Once I decided to become Quorra for Halloween and halloween events, I was hoping others out there would share my passion for TL and the characters and costumes. So far, I have gotten all my "ingredients" together and am in the planning stage! I know from being a designer that the most important part is the planning stage, so even though I am DYING to get started, I'm not going to let myself touch the materials until I have everything laid out.

This forum is (obviously, right?) an AMAZING resource with a plethra of great ideas and great people! I hope to be able to share photos of my progress as my Quorra costume comes along.

One of the first steps I have to take is building a dress form from my own body - any tips?? I'm thinking wireframe covered in cloth?? I can't afford a REAL one :)

One of the first steps I have to take is building a dress form from my own body - any tips?? I'm thinking wireframe covered in cloth?? I can't afford a REAL one :)

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. :confused The most accurate method I can think of is just doing a full-on plaster cloth lifecast of my body and then using it as mold for something, but that's pretty messy and time consuming. I like your idea of the wire mesh... perhaps using plaster with the cloth for added strength? Of course, the form would still end up slightly larger than your body, so it's not really the most accurate way to do a tight outfit. :unsure

What I really want to do is use clay to create molds for Quorra's chest armor, so that's going to need an accurate body form. :wacko

Anyhoo, that's why I'm tackling the helmet first. :lol

Duct tape over right fitting clothing is probably the easiest. Then you can reinforce the inside after cutting it off your body. google duct tape dress form

Hello everyone, my first post here.
Working on Sam and Quorra costumes for me and my girlfriend, so many good posts around here!

About the batts an inverter of Soulinertia, what did you use? Do you have any link? Seems many sq inches to run with 8 AA...
If you could please provide some info about it it would be great, thanks.
I don't know which batt pack/inverter to buy, since I'm going the same way you did with El Tape.

Thanks a lot and keep it up!

TWINIGHT: Thanks! I thought someone mentioned duct tape at some point, but I wasn't sure how that would work. I'll google it if that has seemed to be the best way!

lrenhrda: I like your idea of doing the helmet first as a distraction! haha. I wish I were doing a helmet. I guess I better go buy some duct tape!

Hello everyone, my first post here.
Working on Sam and Quorra costumes for me and my girlfriend, so many good posts around here!

About the batts an inverter of Soulinertia, what did you use? Do you have any link? Seems many sq inches to run with 8 AA...
If you could please provide some info about it it would be great, thanks.
I don't know which batt pack/inverter to buy, since I'm going the same way you did with El Tape.

Thanks a lot and keep it up!

I used 8 standard AA batts to power my suit with a 12v driver. I think I got it from a site called 'cool neon'.

Thanks a lot!

I'm still confused with batteries (for power) and inverters. They are not the same I assume.
I need to pick the large inverter (for the amount of square inches of El tape) and then add batts, right? I'm messed up...some needed many many AA batts to run the inverters, but yours work with just 8 AA.
I'm a rookie and confused.

Ah, I forgot, how did you link, bend the Tape to make the angles? I read you said it can be done, but I don't know how...

Thanks again!!

I used 8 standard AA batts to power my suit with a 12v driver. I think I got it from a site called 'cool neon'.

The easiest way was to just overlap the pieces. When lit you can barely tell. The tape doesn't really bend too well. It can be cut , but only if you don't cross the center line and then back over. If you really want to get technical, the strips can be linked together with clamp connectors.

Ah I see, the same you showed before. I think I got this, thanks a lot.

I will have to study harder about the inverters and batts, I still don't get it. Some people use many batts and inverters and you don't, when you have more or less the same sq inches of Tape.
As I could read, you had at least 360 sq inches of Tape.
I looked at cool neon and I don't know which one to pick, the Big Boy or the Driver Max. Any clue?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
So I've been super busy getting all of these Disc Kits together,

DiscKits - Tron Retrofit Disc Kits

But I do still plan to offer my version of the Hex Fabric.

I'm not too thrilled about orpex spamming my personal costume thread with his fabric link, but that's capitalism for ya. :unsure

BTW, I think the hexagons look just a little too close together on your sample and they seem wayyy too small for an 8" x 8" square.

Anyways, I'm hoping to go into production on my version of the HEX fabric by the end of February.

And I do plan to offer complete spandex suits!

Below is a an ACTUAL sample of my pattern printed on spandex:

aTronHex7spandex.jpg

I've incorporated a metallic dust into my paint so it has a slight shimmer to it as well.

If you've seen Annissë's costume in person you can see what my pattern looks like as part of a complete costume. She convinced me to sell her some of my prototype fabric and I could not have asked for a better model! Here are a couple pics (I hope she doesn't mind) :)

annisseHEX2-1.jpg

annisseHEX1-1.jpg

annisseHEX3-1.jpg

annisseHEX4-1.jpg

Nice! I'd love to know the place the EL was sourced from for that outfit - finding white (or blue) EL that's white - or close to white - when off seems to be impossible.

Nice! I'd love to know the place the EL was sourced from for that outfit - finding white (or blue) EL that's white - or close to white - when off seems to be impossible.

I believe Annisse used EL wire diffused behind a clear panel rather than EL tape. It turned out great!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back