My Early Disasters pt 2 - A Biker Scout Helmet - How hard can it be?

Three pieces in. A little bit off - true, as always, but things will go better with white card and all the numbers on.
20170728_214745.jpg

Numbers are definitely going to make this easier.
20170729_113747.jpg
This burst of activity will be atypical, by the way. Friday was a calm evening with no other commitments, and today has some holes in, but I have writing work I ought to get back to. Luckily, when the build is going well, I'm going to make time to get back to it. And the fibre glass stuff will have to wait until the end of August anyway. You experienced types - where's my best Noobie Guide to Fibre Glass? I'll be watching SnowBuilder's videos a few times more, that's for sure...

20170731_222243.jpg
This isn't the most complex pep, I guess, but I'm having trouble understanding the construction. Best plan I have is to keep making the pieces and squinting at the display. An "Aha" moment may arrive. By which I mean I figure out what to do next, rather than Morton Harkett climbing out of a cartoon...

20170805_231526.jpg
Man, I hate posting from my phone.
Got another couple of vital pieces made up, and they linked up a couple of the others. I can't see how they fit on the under-helmet yet, for the same reason I'm posting from my phone: kids have taken over the pc. Bloody summer holidays. Still, the new bathroom door is on, and will only have to come down twice more before it's finished.

Got five mins with the computer, and although I have lots of work to do, I'm going to post the next picture. There's not a huge difference from the previous one, and I may wait a bit before posting more pics so there's more visible progress, but I'm chuffed with this bit. The folding was hellishly difficult, then getting this piece glued in took three separate sessions. Yes, I didn't rush it! THE BOY CAN BE TAUGHT!
20170810_215854.jpg

20170815_072948.jpg
Well, I've got lots more bits. They're not all fitting together right now, but I have confidence that things will resolve. I'm concentrating on the crest for now, since that seems to tie the inner and outer helmets together. I hope. Lots more writing work to fit in, and only two weeks until either the fiber-glass stuff arrives, or I have to go buy it myself!

if you don't know the shape the only thing I can suggest is measuring the inside (like the inner width) cutting a strip of something rigid and temporarily gluing it inside. then measurean inch over and cut and glue another strip. it should make a sort of scaffolding on the inside.
kinda like this
Untitled drawing.png

Thanks DjJAZZYJABBA, that's a good idea. I need to make another decent stand too, since it looks like we're closing in on the final stages.

IT'S TIME TO MAKE A STAND!
(Now I'm just revelling in posting from a computer. Also, HICCUPS! Hiccups? Very kind of you to say, thank you!)

Today I have a day off work, and I'm supposed to be taking a bunch of stuff to the tip. Unfortunately for my productivity, I sat down at my desk to check emails, and accidnetally glued a lot of stuff together.
20170821_114935.jpg
Notes on this pep - it's complex, and the numbers are often over-printed, so it's tricky to understand exactly how things go, at times. The grill in the faceplate is a complete nightmare, and I've only used the central section to get the spacing right. From what others have told me about fiber-glassing, those little details need to be re-done afterwards anyway.
My slapdash approach does mean several tabs don't line up, but the general shape is good and I'm closing in on the final stages, I think. The next big pieces are the tubes that will finally connect the faceplate to the helmet, and I hope they'll also cement the two parts of the helmet together. I'm back at work from tomorrow, but there's no requirements on my evening time, other than the kitchen reno that we're not doing. We started not doing it yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a little addendum - I love having a desktop again! It may have been the very cheapest option, and it won't run Battlefront II if I ever get it, but it's so much better than posting from my phone!

I'm getting less careful as I get closer to finishing. Impatience is showing through, and frustration with the confusion over these numbers. Also the fact that it's rare I get as much time as I've had today to play.
Anyway, tubes are on completely on one side, and half on the other. I need to print off another page to get the second half, and while I might get that done today, it's unlikely. There's family outings this evening, and time is slipping by. It's a big step forward, and there are only a few pages left to print out. Then it's fiddly bits all the way, and trying to line the whole lot up as I glue it together. Probably need more hands than I've got for that.
Still, it's my birthday on Wednesday, and I"ve got my fingers crossed for those Fiber glass supplies. Been daydreaming about how great this is going to be, despite all available evidence....
20170826_161139.jpg

This is coming together nicely and really looks good. I don't know if it will do any good, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for those fiber glass supplies too. I'm kinda living vicariously through you on this to see how well it turns out. Maybe it will give me courage/motivation to try this for myself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back