My Early Disasters pt 2 - A Biker Scout Helmet - How hard can it be?

Thanks Wedge86 - pretty sure I'll get what I need, since Mrs Dim just sheepishly suggested I might like to pick up a birthday present for myself while I'm out doing the shopping for the camping trip I don't want to go on for my birthday. I might wait until I see what the rest of the family did or didn't get hold of and fill in the gaps. Self-gifting reduces the surprise, but tends to increase the satisfaction.
From what I've read of your threads, you'll knock it out of the park with fiber-glass. I can't fathom how you "roughed out" the shape for that helmet using cardstock. Did not look rough at all. Amazing.

Left unattended for two hours, I got a lot more work done. When I'd added all I could manage (limits being time and patience and gluey-finger tolerance) I wedged it all together to get an idea of the finished object.
20170827_180250.jpg20170827_180301.jpg20170827_180311.jpg

DTrasler - Oh, there's nothing quite like forced fun on your own birthday. I'm not a fan of my birthday and all I really want is a case of "Leave Me the Hell Alone", but I rarely get it. You have my sympathies for your camping trip. When you pick out your own birthday present it definitely reduces the likelihood of returns. That, in and of itself, is pretty satisfying.

I appreciate the vote of confidence and the very kind words. I tend to heavily edit my threads and they rarely include the number of times I've torn apart patterns or threatened to burn the whole project. Things I make look pretty good in pictures or from 10 feet away, but step a little closer and you see reality. One day I would just like to make something that passes the 10 foot test.

Ok, I'm alive and in one piece, and best of all, the family came through with the fiber glass materials! Give me a couple of days to get work in hand, and I'll be screwing up something entirely new! (Still looking for recommendations on Fiber Glass tutorials, btw!)
20170830_182131.jpg

Gotta love that B-day haul!! :D As for fiberglass tutorials, this isn't the greatest video, but he does reference using a spray adhesive to hold the fiberglass in place before adding the resin. I don't think I've seen that suggestion before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9b_XbjxO4M&t=86s

I would really love to recommend Cereal Kill3r's 4 part tutorial, but episode 3, you know -- the part that actually covers laying the fiberglass -- is missing. He does have some useful tips like making supports so the project doesn't deform though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJmB0yw3sOY&t=2s

I've assembled all the bits of kit I think I need, but the kitchen reno looks set to fill the long weekend. In the meantime, I'm hoping the September page of my calendar isn't an omen - a reminder of my greatest disaster to date:
20170903_091344.jpg

More slow progress. I'm telling myself that the tiny details don't matter, but that's only partly because they don't. It's also because I want to ignore the rest of the fiddly making and try slathering the resin over everything.
This evening I put the two parts together for good. Usual result - check out that symmetry:
20170908_201710.jpg
Today's miracle is that I sat and stared at that off-centre crest for a while, then I fetched a razor blade (never have my scalpel handy, far too unprepared these days) and cut away the anchor points and realigned it. Not brilliantly, but much better.
20170908_202504.jpg
I'm sitting here, thinking I should print off that last sheet with the parts that plug the last gap, but there are complications - the program is on this laptop, not the new desktop, and the printer is connected to the desktop, not the laptop, and I am too comfortable on this sofa to go and plug it in. If this were another night, I'd say I'll crack on with it tomorrow, but like so many people, I have a juggling gig in the morning and a barbeque to run in the afternoon. Maybe Sunday.

Mrs Dim stepped out to walk with friends this morning, so I mixed up a batch of resin and glooped it on. Really hoping it'll harden, not just soak the cardstock and ruin the helmet. If it works, I'll find time to reinforce the inside with the matting before starting the bondo layers. Yes, LAYERS plural! Now thinking that the end of November might be the actual finish of this project. Certainly not sooner.
DSC01378.JPGDSC01380.JPGDSC01381.JPG

It's looking really good. And I'm not seeing any symmetry issues except for the crest, but you fixed that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the resin doesn't warp or distort the cardstock.

Thank Wedge86. Hey, SnowBuilder, if you're still reading : I've been rewatching your Iron Man helm video again, and you're the only person I've seen putting the fibre glass matting on the outside of the model Was it tough to sand smooth? It looked very hairy when you were done, but the sanded and primered pictures look great. What is your secret?

I'm dubious about the prospect of getting the resin and stuff out again during the week - getting home at 5.30 and needing to eat doesn't leave a lot of time for being outside with noxious substances. Still, the more I know, the better I can prepare....

Always keeping up on your progress and adventures ;)

The Iron Man video was my first attempt at fiberglassing -so I'm far from an expert.

The helmet was EVA foam and I was really unhappy with my joins and seams -hence my attempt at fiberglassing the surface. Because it wasn't card stock I didn't need to reinforce it from the inside.

I used a palm sander to get the surface smoothed out then finished with hand-sanding. No special techniques, just a lot of elbow grease (honestly, it wasn't that bad -just a little messy).

Looking forward to your next post.

Yep .. I'm still here and reading every posts! :)

I would definitely recommend following the pepakura rules : resin outside, then glue the fiberglass inside and then dab resin over that - will prevent the strands being all over the place!

Once hard and cured, THIN bondo in sections outside in a controlled manner .. sand and build section (and geometry) as you go!

Don't use fiberglass on the outside, it's just gonna take more time to properly finish it withe the bondo!

I have sixteen cabinet doors and four drawers painted in gloss, sitting in the basement. Probably collecting a bonus coat of cat hair, but hey, they're painted. That was the job. In between coats, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the resin again. But this time, I was going to use a guinea pig.
20170916_142930.jpg
This is the pep model I made to help build the RC bucket last project. I still like it, and decided to use it to try out the matting reinforcement. If it all went wrong, I'd be sad, but at least I wouldn't have sabotaged my latest project.
20170916_143828.jpg
I cut the matting. No one mentioned that this produces mounds of hairs all over the place. Or that it would attract all the animals in the house who would come and risk horrible death by fiber glass fragments. Anyway, following advice, I glued the matting in place before mixing up the resin. AND I did that outside because my head was already hurting. (Beer induced ouch.)
20170916_145149.jpg
I set up both helmets, because my intention was to use up any spare resin by putting a second coat on the outside of the TIE bucket. As it turned out, there was no spare - that matting soaked up the resin, glued itself to the foam brush, tore free of the glue.... It was chaos. For once, I didn't panic, and continued doggedly slopping resin into the bucket, flattening the matting by sheer force of will. Then, because I was on a roll, I mixed up another batch of resin and coated the TIE helmet, paying particular attention to the areas I missed in round one.
20170916_161529.jpg
At that point I was seeing sparkly lights and hearing noises that weren't there, so I left the two helmets to set and wandered off to do something else. That turned out to be "Chase the new dog up and down the road until I catch her, then try and figure out how she escaped the garden". Responsibility sucks.
20170916_161547.jpg
Anyway, an hour or so later and things are looking good. The matting is setting nicely, the TIE bucket is a little more solid, and I can see me having another bash at using the matting in the TIE bucket soon. I have another day off next week, and only one appointment. I do have a lot of writing work to catch up on though. Did I mention my feelings on responsibility?

(Side note: I was going to video this like Snow Builder did, but my video editing program died with the last PC and I haven't found a decent (free) replacement. Besides, I would hate to have my screw ups on a visible record. Unless they were particularly funny, of course....)

Hey Damien,

Really nice work. :thumbsup

However, I can't help feeling that you're getting too good at this, and that we're not going to have anything to laugh at soon!:cry

Roughneckone:cool

Roughneckone - this is one of the problems of building your brand on incompetence, which, come to think of it, is a pretty incompetent thing to do.
However, time is always short, Mrs Dim is always gently dismissive of my hobby, and no matter how much gear I get hold of, I will NEVER have the right tool for the job. I look at all the awesome curves on this helmet and wonder just what the heck I am going to use to sand them smooth.

The answer, of course, is that I'll probably never get them smooth. But I will try. The aim is always for a great prop to be proud of. The books documenting my repeated failure are me trying to salvage something from the wreckage. Sadly, my salesmanship is as good as my sanding.

I am MOST impressed -hazzah for beer and fiberglass!

Coming along nicely.

On a side note, I was trying my hand at following a pattern to create (with a sewing machine) a pair of slacks this weekend. In a fit of brilliance I sewed both legs together to create a giant sock. When I went to try on my new pair of pants I immediately thought of you. ;)

SnowBuilder: I would laugh, but I've already proved my lack of prowess with a sewing machine when I built my Vader costume. I don't remember if I posted the process anywhere but my book, so here's the snippet dealing with the cloak:
"I cut one curtain in half, right up the middle, then sewed the cut ends to the out edges of the back of the whole curtain. That meant I had two good hemmed edges next to each other on the front. I sewed almost all the way from the outer edges to the middle along the top, stopping to leave space for my neck. Then I turned the whole thing inside out and sewed a curve at the top left and right for my shoulders.
If none of this makes any sense, don't worry - you don't want to do it this way. Get a pattern, hire a seamstress, make it up yourself... Anything is better than what I did."

Wedge86 - nice! I've stolen the link, and Tweeted it at my boss. I do work in the library, but I'm not a Librarian. They require actual qualifications and such. I'm a clerk, so I can drive the library truck and check out books for people but....Well, I don't know what they do that I don't, but they have a degree in it.

I'm always happy to share the cool things my library system does. I've always wondered what a degree in the library sciences entailed. I mean it has to be more than just understanding the dewey decimal system, right. Right? As a side note, in the past month, my library has offered classes on making beer, wine and hard cider and mead. So ... yeah, I kinda love my local library. :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back