Evening everyone!

This is my first proper build thread here, so I'll try to do my best. Ever since I first got into the franchise, I've wanted a full ghostbusting uniform; with a Proton pack at the top of the list. Now I dont have the $500 give or take to shell out to buy one; but what I do have however is an Ender 3 and a little experience in Tinkercad, so armed with Stefan Otto's plans on GBfans I got to work!

The first thing I printed was the HGA. Considering I don't have near enough skill to model weld lines, I used the old trick of melting filament with a soldering iron. I'm quite happy with how it turned out:
IMG_20220102_200313082[1].jpg

This is what I have so far, and the ion arm, EDA, spacer, and gearbox have been modeled. With the gearbox being printed as I type this, I'd say progress is going swimmingly!
IMG_20220101_174813182~2[1].jpg
Tips are greatly appreciated, as I'm still very new to this kind of build. My final dream for this project is to use this 3d printed pack as a buck for a fiberglass mold, but I've only had very limited work with fiberglass so we'll see how that goes. I hope to keep this thread updated as frequently as I can, so I'll see y'all soon with the next post. Ta-ta!

-Galifreyscall

Looking good so far man, be nice to see the progress as you go. I have no experience in 3D printing so nice to see what people can do with it.

Great start! What files are you using? If you're not too deep into printing these files just yet, I'd suggest taking a look at Quentin Machiels V.3 proton pack files. They are pretty accurate and incredibly optimized for printing with little to no support!

Thank you all for the support! This was certainly a wonderful thing to wake up to today. :) On the topic of waking up to things, the gearbox finished this morning!
2021-05-15_010851[1].jpg2021-05-15_010929[1].jpg
The top layer isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, but nothing I cant sand out. With this, I've completed the entire top right corner (save for the actual corner piece) which is an achievement I'm quite proud of! Sadly I'm running a bit low on filament, so that might put a bit of a damper on progress for a bit, but I'll do what I can till I finally run dry. Hope to have more soon, crossing my fingers that this all works out!

-Galifreyscall

Great start! What files are you using? If you're not too deep into printing these files just yet, I'd suggest taking a look at Quentin Machiels V.3 proton pack files. They are pretty accurate and incredibly optimized for printing with little to no support!
Thanks Ned! I'm using my own files that I've made in Tinkercad based off of Stefan Otto's plans. I have seen Quentin's files and as wonderful as they are, I'm quite partial to making my own files, so I can truly call it my own. Always nice to be able to look at something and know you made it from the ground up, eh?

Thanks Ned! I'm using my own files that I've made in Tinkercad based off of Stefan Otto's plans. I have seen Quentin's files and as wonderful as they are, I'm quite partial to making my own files, so I can truly call it my own. Always nice to be able to look at something and know you made it from the ground up, eh?
No harm there! I'm excited to see the finished outcome!

Late night, huh?
After 4 revisions; something I'm not exactly happy about considering my filament shortage, 5 hours, and the entire discography of Alan Parsons, I have a part I consider servicable. For your consideration, the corner:
2021-05-15_153006[1].jpg2021-05-15_153144[1].jpg
It took me way too long to model such a simple shape before it finally clicked. I had to alter the plans by making it about a 1/4" shorter. For some reason the given dimensions just didn't line up with my gearbox, and considering I've already quite literally gone through the five stages of grief while modeling that sucker, I'd be very happy to never tough it again. That being said, the point where it meets the corner of said nightmare box seems to still not align perfectly, but its nothing I cant solve with spot putty. Now I just have to move on to something I'm rather dreading; the EDA. Hopefully I'll have updates soon, with that being said, I'm going to crash now. Wishing my future self good luck!

-Galifreyscall

Slow day for printing, so I've decided to focus on the other parts of the costume.
I went down to Omaha's surplus in Ft. Worth recently, they're an absolute godsend for any sort of militaria and wonderful people that practically know me by name at this point. I picked up an LC-2 frame, some surplus rubber chemical gloves, a khaki pistol belt (I see why everyone thought it was grey now!) and a genuine Flight Suits Ltd. flight suit which I'm rather chuffed about! It doesn't have brass zippers or the herringbone fabric, but I'm happy enough that is has the brand association. Guess this means I'm making a GB2 suit then!
IMG_20220105_164830784[1].jpgIMG_20220105_164755486[1].jpg
Of course I couldn't help but trying it out: (don't mind the stand-in pipe for the neutrona wand)
IMG_20211218_181014778[1].jpg
Big steps closer, here's to progress!

-Galifreyscall

Progress has stagnated, I've been under the weather recently so I haven't had the will to keep working for now. I have done a couple things though, namely adding screws to the HGA. Looks like a proper piece of kit now!
IMG_20220108_161756552[1].jpg
I've also printed the ion arm, something about it irks me, I feel like something is off but I just cant quite place it. It's driving me barmy! Either way, I don't have the filament for any revisions so I'll have to be satisfied with what I have.
IMG_20220108_161944735[1].jpg
Still a decent amount to go, but I'm not doing terribly!

Very last print of the reel (seriously this time)
IMG_20220107_223900846[1].jpg
I got the... cosmetic plating? space filler? tube mount? either way, its done!
IMG_20220109_174349713[1].jpg
And what do ya know, I glued it unevenly! *agonized grumbles* I wanna reprint this so bad, but c'est la vie I guess, no going back. That being said, it does look very good with all the other parts lined up:
IMG_20220109_174717863[1].jpg
Considering I'll have to order more filament now, progress will be halted for a business week or so. Till then there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your projects, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine-

-Galifreyscall

Till then there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your projects, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine-
First Doctor, Dalek Invasion Of Earth!! Excellent quote. To quote the sixth Doctor, "What's the point of a quote if you can't change it?" (The Two Doctors)

Great progress, by the way!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back