MR Qui-Gon Jinn Episode I: TPM Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by bothanspy, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

Qui-Gon Jinn Episode I: The Phantom Menace Lightsaber, Limited Edition

Maverick Jedi-Knight Qui-Gon Jinn exacted this fateful promise from his Padawan learner Obi-Wan Kenobi, before dying after an epic duel fought with the brutal Sith Lord, Darth Maul.

Master Replicas brings you the definitive version of the venerable Qui-Gon JinnÂ’s Jedi weapon.

Exactingly copied from surviving filming props in the Lucasfilm archive, this awesome replica has never before seen details and features:

* Machined aluminum and brass parts
    * Anodized black details
    * Anodized red female knurled button
    * Intricate pommel detailing
    * Museum quality display case with mirrored base and acrylic cover
    * Numbered plaque and certificate of authenticity

$369 & Free Shipping.*
    Only available through www.masterreplicas.com

Collectors Society On Sale:
    February 7, 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)
    General Public On Sale Date:
    February 9, 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)
    Expected to begin shipping: Summer 2006

*Free domestic ground shipping. Expedited orders and international orders will receive a discount on shipping costs at checkout.

Manufactured with the same attention to detail and quality you have come to expect from Master Replicas, the CEs are made from slightly different materials so they can be offered at a more affordable price point. Collectors Editions are currently available through Master ReplicasÂ’ retail partners.

Collector's Edition

This CE version of Qui-Gon’s weapon offers the same outstanding attention to detail as its Limited Edition counterpart but features –

* Unlimited edition
    * Machined aluminum sleeve
    * Cast resin body and metal details
    * New style display stand
    * Certificate of authenticity
    * Same quality workmanship as the LE
    * Same great Customer Service support as our Limited and Studio Scale Editions

2. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finally.

3. SITHcamaro

SITHcamaro Well-Known Member

Don't forget the pictures. :)

[image]http://masterreplicas.com/images/newsletter/02_02_06/image_3.gif[/image]
    This is the CE. From the sounds of it, it's almost like owning a stunt saber.

Here's the LE:
    [image]http://masterreplicas.com/images/newsletter/02_02_06/image_2.gif[/image]
    [image]http://masterreplicas.com/images/newsletter/02_02_06/image_1.gif[/image]

4. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

What, no FX version?

:cry

5. jariksolo4

jariksolo4 Well-Known Member

They both look good, but for sentimentality's sake, I'm rather fond of my Larbel.

6. TOKI

TOKI Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can any MR retailers chime in on how much the CE is going to run?

Arthur

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Why they didn't include a suggested retail price is beyond me. :rolleyes

8. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

I agree.... Price?
    Will they be going back and doing the other sabers in CE too?

9. JLinNY

JLinNY Well-Known Member

I'll second that.. I'll pick up the LE, but I will also be keeping my Larbel (as I did with my Larbel Obi-Wan). As much as I love the official stuff, I also have a strong fondness for the unlicensed pieces.

John.

10. Scarecrow

If they do, MR will lose any and all future business from me.

11. Banquo Fett

Banquo Fett Well-Known Member

Am I right in understanding that you can't buy this from a RPF dealer, and that you have to buy it for that price at MR's site?

12. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My understanding is that the CEs will be available from authorized reps, but the LEs will be available only from MR directly.

(Of course, the LEs will eventually turn up on eBay, too.) ;)

EDIT: Apparently there will also be some "retailer exclusive" LEs this year.

13. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

14. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Eh, I still think it's a boring design.

But I like the CE stand.

15. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

The Hero was resin with metal details so the CE sounds more like it than the stunts.
    The LE has more idealized materials.
    I might consider the CE version of this one depending on price. I usually don't even use the cases anyway. The stand is pretty neat, but a little too different than my other stands. I would have preferred a simple clear stand.

16. Banquo Fett

I agree, I might do the CE.

My aim has never been to get idealized sabers, just the most accurate measurements and materials. If the CE really is close to the film used prop that's good enough for me.

...especially since I do think this is a boring design in the worst movie of the NT

17. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Anyone have any idea what the MSRP on the CE line is? For whatever reason, it appears MR doesn't want us to know until AFTER the saber is released...

18. OPPI

OPPI Well-Known Member

Yeah they want us all to buy the LE's. Then we get to find out the Ce is 100.00, and go ah man....

I like the CE a lot but all my other sabers are in horizontal cases. Maybe i can pick up a case cheap somewhere

dan

19. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

Rumors were that CE sabers would likely MSRP in the $150 - $200 range (and fluctuate depending on the saber and its materials).

Since the CEs will be available to all dealers in unlimited runs with no price restrictions, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them indeed dipped around or under 100 bucks.

Don't quote me on any of that, though. We'll hear the pricing from MR soon, I'd say by Toy Fair at the latest.

20. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I hope they keep them under $200.

21. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I'm curious how many different versions of the Qui-Gon saber there were? Which version was this based on?

:cheers,

Thomas

22. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

It would make sense for the CE's to be below the Force FX price point in order for people not in-the-know to actually consider buying a hilt over a saber that lights up and makes noise.

From a marketting view, ti would seem like some dude who likes Star Wars, browsing though a Best Buy, would find it hard to shell out 200 bucks for a hilt over one that glows.

But, again, 75-100 bucks would make sense. But we all know not ewverything done makes sense.

23. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

Good question. There were many stunt sabers used during the production of EP1, but apparently there may only have been one or two hero sabers for each design. My guess is this is based on the main hero saber.

24. godzilla

godzilla Well-Known Member

I'm a little disappointed with the announcement that the LE Qui Gon won't be stainless steel to match the recent Elite Edition Obi Wan. I thought it would be a good way to differentiate between the price points of the two Qui Gon sabers.

They could have put a stainless sleeve on the LE Qui Gon for $365. I can't imagine that it's a piece that they'd make an Elite Edition.

Adam

25. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I'm excited about the CE version...it's about time they did this one.
    It's my favorite of the prequel sabers...
    Best saber, best character...

26. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Slow down MR I can't keep up financially :(

27. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Absolutely. I can't wait for this. Hands down my favorite saber. Actually looks like you could hold it in a real fight. And Qui-gon epitomizes the Jedi in my opinion.

28. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am all for the CE line of sabers. The more people that get to enjoy the feel of a real 1:1 replica the better and screw all that "I'm going to buy a bunch of them to sell on ebay for ten times the price later" stuff (no offense intended). :)

For me, the value of the hobby is holding the iconic pieces in my hand and gazing at them from time to time. I'd like as many as possible out there to be able to enjoy that pleasure and the cost (even for some fan-made stuff) is often prohibitive for those with low income and other "real life" problems.

They should have done the CE instead of the .045 versions from the beginning. As to the price... I agree with keeping them at under 100 dollars. If they do that, I could see myself getting a lot of them.

Even though this saber isn't one of my favorites, Qui Gon is one of the best prequel characters and I'll probably buy it to support more CEs in the future.

Now...MR... PLEASE BRING ON THE MACE WINDU CE.. :D

/Joe F

29. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I have slightly mixed feelings about the CE line. First, MR seems very secretive with the price right now. Why? But yeah, it will be nice that others can enjoy sabers now that couldn't afford the higher end LE versions. I myself will probably grab a few CE's when they go back and make some of the OT sabers in CE versions. And for those that think they won't do this, you are fooling yourself. They have pretty much done every major saber already now, so they will have to go back and remake older ones in CE versions. That's a given.

30. shawnA2

shawnA2 New Member

I would hope it's under 100. It is mostly resin, after all.

I'm all for the CE's, and I hope they make previous sabers more in line with the stunt sabers used in the film.

31. nae1000

nae1000 New Member

i think this is a great idea from MR, i have a couple of force fx sabers and a couple of EL's, i like that for whatever the price they did something, i've never been able to justify paying so much for static MR hilts. now with the CE line (if, and by jove they better keep it under force fx price) i can collect some hilts. good start with the qui gon, best jedi ever. and best hilt, i'll be getting me one of those..

so, for us over the pond- where would be best to buy one of these CE's as i know of no 'official' MR dealers in the UK (except maybe forbidden planet-but they'd charge EE price for it)

32. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

I have a feeling that there will be plenty of people selling these on ebay with worldwide shipping.

33. JOATRASH FX

There's also Toy Palace in Germany. I've bought from them several times without any problems. I've read some people have had issues with their customer service, but they haven't given me any grief. They can be a little pricey on some items though. As always, shop around and compare.

34. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amy:
    I've not received the last 2 MR emails, tho I've received all others issued before Jan 01, 2006.

Can you help w/ this?
    I'm certainly going to get the QGJ LE, but would like to know when.

Also: where & when do we sign up for 2006 Collectors Society?

Thanks,
    Mike G.

35. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

On the MR website, it's under the scaled replicas in the Star Wars section. It costs 60 bucks, you get some coupons and a Mace Windu .45 scale saber with the kit.

And they sent out emails with the MSRP for the CE Qui Gon: $199.

Not too happy with that myself.

36. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

For some resin and a metal sleeve I surely hope not ... if that is the price it would seem to me, it based on them riding the coat tails of thier liscence. Because the value is definately not in the materials used.

37. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

It's really not that bad, though I wish they were able to keep it to around $150.

38. Scarecrow

I hope this line fails. I don't want them rereleasing everything. That would suck.

39. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

The Qui Gon Collectors Edition MSRP is $199 and all interested collectors should contact their favorite Master Replicas Authorized Retailer to place an order.

40. Banquo Fett

I agree releasing everything would be a bummer, but I don't hope it FAILS. I don't hope any start-up company like MR FAILS.

You know, when everyone here looks back on this when you're sixty, you'll probably all have a hard time even remembering what happened to your saber collection... like what happened to comic books with kids from a generation ago. :lol

41. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

Expect the CE line to run from $150 - $200 each and for all character weapons to be released, including past editions.

42. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

The MSRP has been listed at $199

43. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

OK, so an aluminum tube, that's a few bucks. A covertech knob, that's a few bucks. A nice Roman's blanking cap, that's 15 bucks. A bunch of tubing, washers, etc, and bondo to make a master of the main body, silicon, black resin for casting...I dunno...it's ALMOST worth 199 compared to doing it yourself (though I like DIY projects). I imagine that the price will drop radically, however. I mean, look at the ROTS LE's. They're going for about 240, MSRP is what, 369? High supply, lowish demand, I bet these will be the next Sting FX.

I still remember seeing Dooku LE's for 119 bucks, and I didn't get one...bring on the Dooku CE.

44. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree, 200 for resin/plastic is beyond high. You have to add in the licensing cost as well. Too little bang for the buck in comparison to past pieces. I just don't see these selling for that much, maybe half that, there is more put into the FX pieces than that.

45. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

Agreed with Cayman and Trip, I have a feeling since these are unlimited, the market will ultimately set the price

46. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Agreed. If an FX saber can be sold for $119.00 and it includes a stand then these are way overpriced.

MR seems to missing their sweet spot on recent pricing, the Y-Wing should have came in at about $500-$600, not the $800 it came in at after all the months of MR stating that the Studio Scale models without the showcases would be reasonably priced, I guess reasonable is a matter of perspective. The CE sabers should be in the $100 range and I'm reading around the internet that the Studio Scale USS Enterprise will be about $1,400, thatÂ’s way outside my budget.

Jim

47. JOATRASH FX

TWO HUNDRED? Well, that puts them into the "way too expensive" catagory. For one, if they're gonna be made out of plastic... I mean, come on... they could at least drop-forge the body in some cheap crap metal like Denix does. Also, from what I've heard, the 0.45 replicas are all metal and pretty good quality, but they only cost around 50 bucks. So how can something double the size, with (probably) cheaper materials cost FOUR times as much? Then there's the FXs (also pretty good quality)... and the shipping... and the much simpler display case.

At 100 bucks a pop they'd be good value and I wouldn't think twice about buying, but at double that..... please rethink that strategy if you're reading this MR. :(

48. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

The problem is that if they price them in the $50 range then it puts them in conflict with Hasbro as many "Non-RPF'rs" won't understand the difference and LFL is fanatical about protecting licensees. It would also cut into FX sales if they price @ $100. So the $150 + range is where they'll go for MSRP. As for the Y-Wing, A. it cost them more to make than the AT-AT and it is HUGE. The $800 price really isn't so off.

49. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Actually, the.45 sabers are * good quality. Excellent likeness right down to the last detail. Hell, they're even $35 straight from MR; even cheaper on ebay. I wouldn't shell out more $100 for a CE, though between $75 and $100 seems more like a fair price.

-Fred

50. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

i have always wondered.

WTF with .45 why not make it easy on us math people trying to convert the numbers, and make it .50...................111111