Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Michael Bergeron, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Like the similar thread on here asking what films you like I'm curious which ones you hate that everyone else seems to like?

I'll start us off:

- The Matrix (any of 'em)
    - Patton
    - Slumdog Millionaire
    - Moulin Rouge!

I'm sure there are more but those are off the top of my head. :)

2. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Titanic

Wickerness likes this.
  3. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

The new "Star Trek?" I used quotes not because it's a proper name, but because I find it to be Star Trek in name only.

4. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Star Wars, all the goofy aliens, and it's just too geeky/nerdy for me.

5. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

I'm with you on the Avatar thing. I liked it the first time I saw it, but after watching it twice, I realized it was crap. Seems no one else came to that same conclusion, because apparently it got better for everyone else the second time. Although admittedly it might have just been the incessant, relentless advertising campaign (even now, a year later) coupled with Mr. Cameron's bull**** publicity act that turned me off of it.

My personal bane is the Ocean's Eleven series. I've had people swearing to me that those movies were the best things ever made for years. I hate them. I think the whole thing is just so stupid, the way all the characters are portrayed as being so cool and relaxed, the way they put together all those corny jazz-backtracked bank-rigging scenes, it's all just enough to make me...sick.

6. Sigma-LS

Sigma-LS Sr Member

I honestly don't think Avatar is on the "everyone likes" list. I would like it if it ended when the tree got blown up. "And that's how you scatter the roaches.":cool

As someone who came from the heart of old Indian Territory, I found all that one with nature stuff to be extremely offensive. Like dad always said "Folks always killed whatever they could get their hands on to survive. Some just didn't have big enough numbers to do major damage to the ecosystem." Farmers are different but nomads...forget about it.

Can't really think of any super popular stuff that I hate. Mostly all I can think of are polarizing fanbase popular things like Twilight (And the Rifftrax is gold in any case).

7. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

Bale Batmans.

madmikeee likes this.
  8. Indys brother

Indys brother Active Member

As I mentioned in a similar thread, Roadhouse. But I'll add Titanic and Avatar, too. Also anything with Jack Black, and to an only slightly lesser extent, Will Ferrel.

Honorable Mention ('cause I don't truly "hate" it) goes to The Hangover. I get why people like it, and maybe I waited too long to see it but it just didn't live up to all the hype for me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The Bourne movies and the new "Bond".

Same thing really.

10. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Predator. I've tried, gawd knows, I've tried, but it still sucks long and hard.

11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

^I thought that was a GOOD thing, Birdie. I simply cannot stomach the Twilight movies...but I know most of you guys secretly love them.

12. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Terminator Salvation

Trek '09

LOTR (yeah I said it ;) ).

Kevin

13. Michael Bergeron

I hate the Twilight films too but I don't think they're an "everyone loves them" kid of flick. Very divisive.

People liked Terminator Salvation? :confused

As for LOTR I liked Two Towers but the other two I could do without.

Also hate Peter Jackson's King Kong remake.

14. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Very much agreed on these!

15. MisterScrub

MisterScrub Active Member

Forest Gump...

16. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Bourne(s)
    H Potter(s)
    Matrix(s)
    Mission Impossible(s)
    Charlie's Angels(s)
    All but a couple Star Trek
    4 out of 6 Star Wars
    Shrek(s)
    All but the first Pirates of..
    Transformers(s)
    The Fockers(s)
    I am Legend
    Wall E
    The Da Vinci Code
    The Day After tomorrow (basically every film he made except Star Gate)
    Oceans(s)
    The Mummy(s)
    All but the first Superman
    Borat
    Ghostbusters(s)
    All Batman movies
    Road to Perdition
    Con Air
    Die Hard 2-?
    Narnia(s)
    Something About Mary
    Monsters Inc

Whew, I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Doug

17. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

Almost every Will Ferrel movie, everything Jack Black, Avatar, The Matrix sequels, almost every Adam Sandler movie, Titanic... There are more, but I can't remember. lol.

18. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

This is another one I forgot about. I didn't much care for it either (and I also waited until long after it had come out). It had a few moments that made me laugh, but those were mostly Ed Helm's doing, and not necessarily the movie itself.

Overall I just found it very unoriginal and childish. Didn't hate it, but didn't like it much either. The plot was stupid, the crudeness of it got old fast, and I found the characters annoying. I am literally the only person I know that feels this way.

19. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

In no particular order:
    Inception
    Titanic
    Valentine's Day
    Star Trek (the Abrams' lens-flare-a-thon and the POS Enterprise with the "iBridge")
    The War of the Worlds (Seriously, Mr. Spielberg, do you REALLY expect us to believe Tom Cruise's so called "average joe"? Not to mention the fact that I hate the freakin' characters we're following. The only one that seemed at all interesting was Tim Robbins' character and that was because of how nuts he was)

That's about all I can think of for now.

20. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Not a movie, but I just cant stand anything Joss Whedon has done. It all looks and sounds so fake and contrived.
    Reminds me of the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. Everyone else seems to love it.
    I think Dollhouse was his best stuff.
    I am worried what the Avengers will look like.

teragon likes this.
  21. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

I liked Terminator salvation personally but about 95% of the other people out there did not. Not a very popular movie.

22. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

2001 - A Space Nodyssey

Love the author love the book!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  23. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wait ... did you finally see it?

24. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Ghostbusters. I guess I dont so much hate it as can completely do with out any of them.

Blues Brothers, which probably crushes my husbands soul.

25. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The only thing good that came out of Terminator Salvation, in my point of view, was Terminator Salvation: The Machinima Series. And that's only because its a great example of machinima being used as a storytelling device (and as crazy as it may sound, there are people that like the Machinima Series more than they liked the film).

26. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

* near all James cameron movies, T1 being the exception.
    * near all Tom Hanks movies, Bachelor Party being the exception
    ROtJ

Everything with Nick Cage's hair

27. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

Another Titanic/Avatar vote here. So maybe not everyone like them. James Cameron figured out the secret recipe of stereotypical, watered down, cheesy characters and plot lines mixed with a $200 million + budget to get the most butts in seats. He's the Thomas Kinkade of filmaking.

28. wooten

wooten Member

Tombstone. gawd awful. hated the performances, the crappy cinematography, the music, the whole thing. bleah. I thought Wyatt Earp was much better (although certainly not 'great' or 'perfect'.)

29. JD

JD Master Member

I would say Avatar, but I don't think anyone really like it.

Most of the movies I really wouldn't say "hate," but I don't get why they are as popular as they are.

Nolan's Batman flims - Dark Knight at least had Heath Ledger's amazing performance.

Inception. It just wasn't that good.

Pulp Fiction.

Star Trek IV - this seems to be the most popular Trek movie. (In all honesty, outside of ST2TWOK, they all seem to be pretty mediorce, TNG films being the worst. I liked the JJ Trek a lot).

30. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

31. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Anything by Tim Burton or Quentin Tarantino.

32. Sigma-LS

Sigma-LS Sr Member

Cameron bashing is fine, but Kinkade is a nice dude. I've met him twice and he has been very modest and kind. His work may not be groundbreaking but it's refreshing to see a few older styles kicking around and art that is at home in a nice classy house.

But then again I loved the Thomas Cole and Ashcan stuff and Remington and Russel and such so cliche is probably right up my alley.:lol

Hell the second time I saw Kinkade, he was making a sketch of the courthouse from down the street during the Art Festival in his kind of rough painting stuff. As I noticed who it was, some dude gave him a dollar because he thought the guy was a street artist! It took me a bit to wipe the grin off my face before I could walk over and say hi.

33. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

Barton Fink
    ANYTHING by Tarantino
    The Dark knight

34. Michael Bergeron

Oh! Add Kill Bill for me. :D

35. BB43MAN

BB43MAN Well-Known Member

Hate anything by that wierdo Tim Burton. Geesh, where did that guy come from?

36. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

avatar and LOTR.............................

and anything by tim burton except beetlejuice.......

37. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another vote for all LOTR movies. But most of all, The Matrix movies. What I hated the most about those movies is the people that felt they had to sit me down and explain it to me. I got it, but they still are still terrible.

38. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Star Trek (2009)
    I'm a trekkie, film lover and a supporter for change, but I hated Star Trek (2009). I like progressive Trek, not backtracking Trek. I never wanted the old Trek back, so saying that this film sticks true to the original does nothing for me, and even that I'll debate. Freaking Uhura. How can anyone say that she's 150% more important than the original? Her portrayal was an insult.

39. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Oh, one other thing. ANYTHING WITH OWEN WILSON!

40. Frosteon

Frosteon Well-Known Member

Also dislike Bale Batman. Seriously, it's a couple hours of complete utter crap. too much blabbering nonsense, the fights were less than what They could have been. I felt robbed of the hours I put into watching those films.

41. Michael Bergeron

I didn't like Batman Begins but Dark Knight was good for the Heath Ledger bits.

42. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...
    Johnny Ringo: My fight's not with you, Holliday.
    Doc Holliday: I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?
    Johnny Ringo: Oh that. I was just foolin' about.
    Doc Holliday: I wasn't.
    Doc Holliday: Say when.

Ringo dies

43. primer

primer New Member

How about Donnie Darko? I saw it a while back and wasn't impressed, even though lots of people were crazy about it and recommended it. Should I give it another chance?

44. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Heck yeah you should give it another chance. I love that one. The most interesting twist on time travel I've seen next to Stephen King's The Langoliers.

45. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

I didn't hate the Nolan Batman films, but I certainly think they're highly overrated. I never bothered with Begins when it came out, but like most, wanted to see Dark Knight because of Ledger's performance. So when Batman first opens his mouth and speaks in Dark Knight, I almost burst out laughing. Was Christian Bale serious with that obnoxious gravely voice? That's really the best he could come up with? The narrative flow of Dark Knight was really weird too. For the first half of the movie, I swore Two Face was going to be the villain in the next movie. And then it had about 5 or 6 false endings.

Haystack Hair likes this.
  46. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

Frankly,

I'm surprised that more people don't appreciate the 1990s animated Batman TV series and the movie spin-offs.

Any of those are better than ANY of the live-action Batman films I've seen... Including the James Bondish-Nolan films.

I never bought clever gadgets and black costumes as being what made Batman... let alone an actor I haven't care for in the films I've seen him in.

Kevin Conroy IS Batman!!!!

47. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

I sitting here watching Star Trek The Motion Picture, and cannot believe how bad it is. How did Wrath of Kahn ever get made after this turkey?

48. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Inglourious Basterds

What a steaming pile.

49. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Because at the time, it made A LOT of money (82 million was nothing to sneeze at in the late 70s- and as an example that was more than 3 times what "Blade Runner" made). Fans went to see it. Non fans went to see it. And to be blunt, it was riding the coattails of the success of Star Wars.

Kevin

50. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator. I just thought they were both really trying too hard. I actually almost laughed at the end of Ryan when the old guy fell to his knees. How corny.