Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Like the similar thread on here asking what films you like I'm curious which ones you hate that everyone else seems to like?

I'll start us off:

- The Matrix (any of 'em)
- Patton
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Moulin Rouge!

I'm sure there are more but those are off the top of my head. :)

I'm with you on the Avatar thing. I liked it the first time I saw it, but after watching it twice, I realized it was crap. Seems no one else came to that same conclusion, because apparently it got better for everyone else the second time. Although admittedly it might have just been the incessant, relentless advertising campaign (even now, a year later) coupled with Mr. Cameron's bull**** publicity act that turned me off of it.

My personal bane is the Ocean's Eleven series. I've had people swearing to me that those movies were the best things ever made for years. I hate them. I think the whole thing is just so stupid, the way all the characters are portrayed as being so cool and relaxed, the way they put together all those corny jazz-backtracked bank-rigging scenes, it's all just enough to make me...sick.

I honestly don't think Avatar is on the "everyone likes" list. I would like it if it ended when the tree got blown up. "And that's how you scatter the roaches.":cool

As someone who came from the heart of old Indian Territory, I found all that one with nature stuff to be extremely offensive. Like dad always said "Folks always killed whatever they could get their hands on to survive. Some just didn't have big enough numbers to do major damage to the ecosystem." Farmers are different but nomads...forget about it.

Can't really think of any super popular stuff that I hate. Mostly all I can think of are polarizing fanbase popular things like Twilight (And the Rifftrax is gold in any case).

As I mentioned in a similar thread, Roadhouse. But I'll add Titanic and Avatar, too. Also anything with Jack Black, and to an only slightly lesser extent, Will Ferrel.

Honorable Mention ('cause I don't truly "hate" it) goes to The Hangover. I get why people like it, and maybe I waited too long to see it but it just didn't live up to all the hype for me.

Last edited:
^I thought that was a GOOD thing, Birdie. I simply cannot stomach the Twilight movies...but I know most of you guys secretly love them.

I hate the Twilight films too but I don't think they're an "everyone loves them" kid of flick. Very divisive.

People liked Terminator Salvation? :confused

As for LOTR I liked Two Towers but the other two I could do without.

Also hate Peter Jackson's King Kong remake.

Bourne(s)
H Potter(s)
Matrix(s)
Mission Impossible(s)
Charlie's Angels(s)
All but a couple Star Trek
4 out of 6 Star Wars
Shrek(s)
All but the first Pirates of..
Transformers(s)
The Fockers(s)
I am Legend
Wall E
The Da Vinci Code
The Day After tomorrow (basically every film he made except Star Gate)
Oceans(s)
The Mummy(s)
All but the first Superman
Borat
Ghostbusters(s)
All Batman movies
Road to Perdition
Con Air
Die Hard 2-?
Narnia(s)
Something About Mary
Monsters Inc

Whew, I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Doug

Almost every Will Ferrel movie, everything Jack Black, Avatar, The Matrix sequels, almost every Adam Sandler movie, Titanic... There are more, but I can't remember. lol.

Honorable Mention ('cause I don't truly "hate" it) goes to The Hangover. I get why people like it, and maybe I waited too long to see it but it just didn't live up to all the hype for me.

This is another one I forgot about. I didn't much care for it either (and I also waited until long after it had come out). It had a few moments that made me laugh, but those were mostly Ed Helm's doing, and not necessarily the movie itself.

Overall I just found it very unoriginal and childish. Didn't hate it, but didn't like it much either. The plot was stupid, the crudeness of it got old fast, and I found the characters annoying. I am literally the only person I know that feels this way.

In no particular order:
Inception
Titanic
Valentine's Day
Star Trek (the Abrams' lens-flare-a-thon and the POS Enterprise with the "iBridge")
The War of the Worlds (Seriously, Mr. Spielberg, do you REALLY expect us to believe Tom Cruise's so called "average joe"? Not to mention the fact that I hate the freakin' characters we're following. The only one that seemed at all interesting was Tim Robbins' character and that was because of how nuts he was)

That's about all I can think of for now.

Not a movie, but I just cant stand anything Joss Whedon has done. It all looks and sounds so fake and contrived.
Reminds me of the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. Everyone else seems to love it.
I think Dollhouse was his best stuff.
I am worried what the Avengers will look like.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back