First time in history that companies hate their fans?

I came here for the comments, deep thoughts, and the “battle of wits” that I knew I would find, once I saw the thread title.

Please, continue the conversation…

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON

Here’s a timely video to keep things going:

Last edited:
One thing that has me baffled to this day is how Hollywood is still even relevant. I've been in the video production professionally since 1984 and what we can do on a smartphone now would've taken a multimillion dollar studio then.

We also have numerous distribution channels available at the touch of a key pad, channels that were only available to the studio gate-keepers.

Sure the studios have billions of dollars at their disposal and control the theater industry, but anyone can stream now on Amazon.

The fanbase for every genre has at their disposal, thousands of options at their fingertips, made by ambitious individuals on cinema quality inexpensive cameras and smartphones making content unrestricted by studio suits. Is it quality content? Most of it isn't, but it seems the fanbase supports them.

So when a multi-billion studio puts something out, the fans are expecting a lot. Something that will blow them away. They want to see what hundreds of millions of dollars looks like. They want to see that money on the screen, not something that looks like what they can make on their own home computers.

Lucas had a decade of expanded universe material that for the most part what fantastic. The avid fans ate it with a spoon and came back for seconds and thirds. Then he tossed it all in the trash and gave us the prequels. We all went in with high expectations since he had 16 years to create something great.....

Disney will NEVER make us happy because our palette has become too sophisticated with all of our options. Lucas knew it and cashed in when the going was good.

Do I live in a cave? I’ve never heard this. Seriously. I’ve heard of fan bashing (but that’s been going on forever) but I’ve never heard of a (major) company OPENLY express hate and disgust with its fans for this projects not being successful. Can someone provide some links or articles where they do this…collectively? Now, individuals, yes. For example, does anybody remember when Elizabeth Banks version of Charlie’s Angels was released and NOBODY wheat to see it? It was so bad. After the first weekend’s numbers came back she was SO angry that she publicly bashed the public for “intentionally trying to tank her career”.

The companies don't release a press release themselves, but they use proxies like tourist fans sites such as The Mary Sue, The Gamer, Kotaku, etc. to attack fans. I also remember a year or two ago it came out that Disney was using bot/troll farms to attack fans on Twitter. There are numerous SW authors who have attacked fans as well as Lucasfilm employees (Pablo Hidalgo, who I used to like, has done it numerous times since TLJ came out).

Then they blame some fan YT channels like Nerdrotic, Film Threat, The Critical Drinker as toxic when they just doing what fans have always done, discussing the properties. There's just more bad fodder now than anything good for them to talk about.

The companies don't release a press release themselves, but they use proxies like tourist fans sites such as The Mary Sue, The Gamer, Kotaku, etc. to attack fans. I also remember a year or two ago it came out that Disney was using bot/troll farms to attack fans on Twitter. There are numerous SW authors who have attacked fans as well as Lucasfilm employees (Pablo Hidalgo, who I used to like, has done it numerous times since TLJ came out).

Then they blame some fan YT channels like Nerdrotic, Film Threat, The Critical Drinker as toxic when they just doing what fans have always done, discussing the properties. There's just more bad fodder now than anything good for them to talk about.
They're only toxic to Disney's bottom line. They are free to express their personal opinions any way they want and they have millions of fans who agree with them. That's what Disney doesn't like. They are more popular than Disney is.

Okay, it's been touched up on, but not really addressed outright: Maybe it's partly our fault?

Remember the announcement of the next Star Wars/Rey movie? We haven't seen a trailer, teaser, on set photo, or even a concept sketch and some of us already condemned the project and predicted it's failure.

The pandemic hastened the inevitable transition to streaming. Why shell out a small fortune for something you can see at home before it even leaves the theaters? That, and the bad word of mouth, warranted or not, you end up with a movie going public that's reluctant to see anything in the theaters at all.

I know it's a big ask, but maybe we should take a "wait and see" approach to things. If we want our favorite franchises to survive, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to not turn the viewing public off to the idea of seeing a movie before it's even made.

Okay, it's been touched up on, but not really addressed outright: Maybe it's partly our fault?

Remember the announcement of the next Star Wars/Rey movie? We haven't seen a trailer, teaser, on set photo, or even a concept sketch and some of us already condemned the project and predicted it's failure.

The pandemic hastened the inevitable transition to streaming. Why shell out a small fortune for something you can see at home before it even leaves the theaters? That, and the bad word of mouth, warranted or not, you end up with a movie going public that's reluctant to see anything in the theaters at all.

I know it's a big ask, but maybe we should take a "wait and see" approach to things. If we want our favorite franchises to survive, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to not turn the viewing public off to the idea of seeing a movie before it's even made.
No it's not partly our fault it's the studios.Star Wars,Marvel,Indy Jones and Buzzlightyear movies have all tanked recently,they all have the same message/anti-art and any project moving forward will too.The only wait and see is how much the next propaganda film will lose.

A lot of companies these days have to justify their failures, both to themselves and to their stockholders, so they make up excuses because they can't admit that they made a bad movie or TV show. Their job, their ONLY job, is to make something that consumers are willing to part with their hard-earned money to consume. That's it. If a project fails to make money, it's not on the consumers, it's on the company who badly misread the interest of the buying public. They made a product that people didn't want to see, for whatever reason. Sometimes, it's not the fault of the company, they couldn't foresee. Sony couldn't have imagined 9/11 when a ton of their marketing involved Spider-Man hanging between the twin towers. They had to scramble to change things, otherwise it would have driven off a lot of potentially paying customers. They can't control their actors, although they really ought to be trying harder. Disney couldn't have foreseen Jonathan Majors beating on his girlfriend. Now that he's been convicted, they have to jettison him and everything that he's touched, which to their credit, they're doing.

However, the one thing that is always true: the customers are ALWAYS blameless. The studios don't own the customers. They don't "deserve" their money. They have to earn it and in the modern era, a lot of them just aren't. When those customers are telling the studios "here's why we're not seeing your movies" and the studios keep doing it over and over and over, I don't know what to tell you. That's the very definition of insanity, trying to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The paying customers have soundly rejected the ideological nonsense in Hollywood these days, yet Hollywood keeps doing it. Then, they have to make excuses to the people holding the purse-strings and they're sure not going to hold up their hand and say "it was my fault!"

Honestly, who in their right mind doesn't understand this?
That's the differences between "Renewal" and "Change". If you "renew" the paint of your facade, you still have the same facade underneath the new paint. If you "change" the facade, then you have a brand new product/idea. Smoke and mirrors; that's the studio's specialty lately:(

Last edited:
No it's not partly our fault it's the studios.Star Wars,Marvel,Indy Jones and Buzzlightyear movies have all tanked recently,they all have the same message/anti-art and any project moving forward will too.The only wait and see is how much the next propaganda film will lose.
So... Old movies: good. New movies: bad. Movies that we haven't seen yet and haven't even been made: also bad? Kind of made my point for me.

Admittedly Star Wars has been in decline since The Empire Strikes Back, but it hasn't been a straight line to the bottom. There have some high points along the way (depending on who you ask/from certain point of view).

Even if things are bad now, it doesn't mean they'll be that way forever. In the mean time check out "American Fiction" or "The Holdovers". You're welcome.

So... Old movies: good. New movies: bad. Movies that we haven't seen yet and haven't even been made: also bad? Kind of made my point for me.

Admittedly Star Wars has been in decline since The Empire Strikes Back, but it hasn't been a straight line to the bottom. There have some high points along the way (depending on who you ask/from certain point of view).

Even if things are bad now, it doesn't mean they'll be that way forever. In the mean time check out "American Fiction" or "The Holdovers". You're welcome.
No not old movies good,new movies good.I liked the new Top Gun and although not a "movie" I really enjoyed the new South Park specials.We already know what kind of movies certain studios will make with their rinse and repeat model,if I don't enjoy propaganda in movie 1 I wont enjoy it in movie 2,3 and so on.I would like to be entertained with something new not the same crap.And to be fair I don't watch a lot of Amercian movies but I might watch what you recommend.We are experiencing a culture revolution so no things won't always be this way,alas this might be the new norm.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back