Movie Scenes that You Wish Weren't in the Film

Yep, as for the scene between Deck and Rachael, you'll have to look at West World and understand that it's just a machine at the end of the day...
...and that's about it;) That forest scene in American Graffiti: doesn't add anything to this iconic movie. Gravity? Don't get me started about that movie:mad: At no point I was involved into that story...oh well.

Saving Private Ryan: the scene in the church where they talk and talk and talk, and especially the scene before the battle at Ramelle when Matt Damon tells that stupid story. Other than those two awful scenes, it's a perfect movie.

Oh my God, how could I have forgotten the Alice Jardine scene in Private Ryan??? I must have purged it from my brain. I agree. I cannot stand Damon’s little spiel there... hitting every branch on the way down...

Also, the guy telling the story about the general causing the whole plane to crash due to being overwieght from having armor added to the plane. When the guy telling the story starts having intense PTSD flashbacks about it, I was taken right out of Private Ryan and thrown into Seven where he was doing the same thing except with a half-gimp suit with a gigantic steel bladed weiner on it. His intensity is affecting, but because it is of such a remarkable caliber he should not use it in any other movie after the very first time he commits it to film.

In Private Ryan I really, really don't like the 1911A1 vs. Tiger Tank sequence with the coincident destruction of the tank.

Oh my God, how could I have forgotten the Alice Jardine scene in Private Ryan??? I must have purged it from my brain. I agree. I cannot stand Damon’s little spiel there... hitting every branch on the way down...

Also, the guy telling the story about the general causing the whole plane to crash due to being overwieght from having armor added to the plane. When the guy telling the story starts having intense PTSD flashbacks about it, I was taken right out of Private Ryan and thrown into Seven where he was doing the same thing except with a half-gimp suit with a gigantic steel bladed weiner on it. His intensity is affecting, but because it is of such a remarkable caliber he should not use it in any other movie after the very first time he commits it to film.

If I recall the behind the scenes story regarding Damon’s tale, it was a on-set ad lib by Damon.

19. Seeing the aliens at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind..
I actually don’t have a problem with this one, since I the movie really struck a chord with me when I realized how the tall alien near the end of the sequence looked like the kid from the movie, and what exactly that meant. However, I did not agree with the decision to show the interior of the mothership in the 1980 rerelease, as the spaceships were the real stars of the show (as opposed to the aliens), and I really think that should have been left to the imagination (hence why I’ve never seen the special edition).

Last edited:
Well, it was the 80s. If we are going to get creeped out by every scene where a man "manhandles" a woman then we better just throw out practically every old movie about detectives or cowboys, etc. While I do agree with you, face it, that's just the way movies were back then. I can't believe Revenge of The Nerds hasn't been outright banned and made to disappear forever for it's "comedic" rape scene.

I saw Revenge of the Nerds for the first time probably in...1990? Even then, I said to myself "Uh....that seems...wrong." It's just straight-up rape, and literally the only thing that makes it "ok" is that the girl appears to consent after the fact, but the whole thing is just....wrong. Makes it hard to watch the film at all anymore.

That's a fair point.

I'm with you in general, I just think the scene in BR is not well executed. It portrays like it was some really romantic love scene, that sax is going on...I'm not against rough love either, but Rachael never seems comfortable in that scene and it comes pretty out of the blue and without chemistry. It's almost like it can't decide if it wants to be a rough violent scene or the moment where they fall in love and Deckard changes his view on "replicants are like any machines".

Yeah, the issue with Blade Runner and that scene is that it can't seem to decide what story it's trying to tell. Is it trying to showcase Deckard as a cold and cynical cop who looks at replicants as machines? Is it trying to show Deckard -- himself a replicant -- struggling with knowing his own identity and only (by his callous actions) confirming his replicant nature? Is it meant to be Deckard -- a human -- falling in love with replicant Rachael? The movie can't seem to decide, so the whole scene just plays...weird.

If Rachael is meant to be into it, then you'd figure she'd demonstrate a bit more pleasure. If the movie wants to show Deckard's inner turmoil, then it needed to do a better job of that. If it's meant to be Deckard being cold, then it needed to drop the romantic subplot. Basically, pick a direction and go that way, but the movie seems unable to choose just one, and so it muddles the message and the scene just looks...really uncomfortable.

The Watchmen - Hallelujah Sex Scene
I love this film- one of the very few movies I have seen twice in the theater. It has a perfect soundtrack linked to great action sequences until they ramp up the Leonard Cohen. It is so over the top it becomes a parody of itself. The pinnacle of stupidity is when Nite Owl orgasms and hits the flame thrower, shooting his metaphor across the night sky. I love great sex scenes, but this whole sequence is ham handed and pulls you so far out of the movie it takes a while to crawl back through that fourth wall again

That's actually in the comic -- the flame projector train-going-into-a-tunnel bit, I mean, not the Hallelujah song. It's important to remember that the Watchmen comic was both social commentary and satire of the superhero genre. I tend to think that's something that Zack Snyder didn't quite "get."

Yeah, I'm aware of the cultural attitudes of the time. The Han and Leia scene I wouldn't label anywhere close to the same "not okay" range as the Blade Runner scene, and I've seen many that are worse. They just still all make me feel uncomfortable.

This one is...complicated. I think you can watch the scene and see the behavior, especially in the context of how they've been interacting previously, and the scene can read exactly as it was intended. Leia isn't really saying "no" even if she's a little scared about getting close to Han. Han's advance isn't entirely unwelcome either.

That said, a modern audience may look at the scene VERY differently nowadays, and decide that Leia's statement of "stop that" and the previous scene about being held by Han and such make it so that Han should have backed off. It also highlights the old movie convention of "Well, sure she SAYS know, but...come on...it's clear she's interested." In the film, it is indeed clear that she's interested, but that message itself (say no/mean yes) is a lot more complicated today than it used to be.

The scenes in “Star Wars” and “The Empire Strikes Back” where Leia and Luke kiss on the mouth...just vomit-inducing grossness.

If there truly exists anything that George should have been well-justified in “Special Editioning” out of the trilogy, it would have been those scenes.

He could have had Boba Fett inserted to do a meaninglesss cameo walk in front of Leia and Luke during those scenes, or he could have inserted the butt of a large lizard-like beast walking in front of them, or maybe inserted a CGI rock in front of them.

Seriously. Of all the friggin' things you want to change and THESE things remain untouched?! It's clear that Lucas did not originally intend for Leia to be Luke's sister, and simply added that in ROTJ when he needed to come up with an answer as to (1) why Luke would lose his ish, and (2) why Leia was attuned to Luke's call in ESB. So, bim bam boom, they're siblings, and...uh.....ew.

Yep, as for the scene between Deck and Rachael, you'll have to look at West World and understand that it's just a machine at the end of the day...

That's the thing, though. Both Blade Runner and the modern Westworld TV show challenge the notion of what it means to be alive/"real." At what point is a machine alive? At what point do we respect its autonomy and rights? And on Westworld, the bots aren't exactly passive. That's part of the point of the show.

This scene in The Empire Strikes Back.
I don't begrudge some ILM guys (and Ralph MacQuarrie) getting some screen time, and Ralph's BG painting is awesome, but the scene is terribly executed and superfluous.

Attachments

• star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-2327.jpg
    star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-2327.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 193
If I recall the behind the scenes story regarding Damon’s tale, it was a on-set ad lib by Damon.

I had read the same thing, which really turned me off on Matt Damon for a while. Then I saw him in Stuck On You which really put him back on the good side for me.

I actually don’t have a problem with this one, since I the movie really struck a chord with me when I realized how the tall alien near the end of the sequence looked like the kid from the movie, and what exactly that meant. However, I did not agree with the decision to show the interior of the mothership in the 1980 rerelease, as the spaceships were the real stars of the show (as opposed to the aliens), and I really think that should have been left to the imagination (hence why I’ve never seen the special edition).

I agree somewhat. I really loved the film overall. I also didn’t like the interior of the UFO part, and I didn’t see the film in its entirety until I was at a much later age, so the alien iteself just didn’t age well (in my opinion) which took me out of the movie. Had I seen when it was originally released, or even within a few years of that I presume my opinion on it would be different.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Hated this movie anyway (I got bored in the theater and had a legal pad with me, started writing down everything that bothered me... filled 2 pages)
If Alfonso Cuaron had returned to direct, I bet you’d have liked the movie much more. Cuaron made excellent use of motifs and scenes that represented the changing seasons to show the passage of time, and as a whole, Prisoner of Azkaban benefits from his excellent direction. As for Mike Newell, I’m not exactly sure he knew what he was doing nor understood how to adapt something as significant as Harry Potter.

If Alfonso Cuaron had returned to direct, I bet you’d have liked the movie much more. Cuaron made excellent use of motifs and scenes that represented the changing seasons to show the passage of time, and as a whole, Prisoner of Azkaban benefits from his excellent direction. As for Mike Newell, I’m not exactly sure he knew what he was doing nor understood how to adapt something as significant as Harry Potter.

Considering that GoF is the only movie I refuse to watch (and this is even given that I hate the book Chamber of Secrets, but actually enjoyed the movie!), most likely. The only complaint I really have with PoA is the look of the rabid monkey-- I mean, werewolf... But yeah, PoA did really well with showing that time was passing.

Although, speaking of PoA... it's been a while since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, the scenes where they time travel at the end, the "same" scene plays out at different times of day each time... I think someone forgot to account for the sun's movement when they were "redoing" the scenes!

speaking of PoA... it's been a while since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, the scenes where they time travel at the end, the "same" scene plays out at different times of day each time... I think someone forgot to account for the sun's movement when they were "redoing" the scenes!
Huh, my eyesight must be going bad becuase I remembered the scenes being eerily consistent down to the sun’s position.
However, there is a scene where the moon shines directly in front of Harry and Hermione, but the moon is to their right.
Something neat about the “rabid monkey” is that they tried to do the effect practically, but the movement simply wasn’t working despite the crew’s efforts. However, I think the design was great, the lack of hair and gaunt, emaciated appearance really helped sell that being a werewolf isn’t easy and that it’s quite the affliction.

"Basically anytime Quentin Tarantino has an acting part in any movie besides when he played Jimmy in Pulp Fiction" Yep:D

Hacksaw Ridge: Soldier takes a hit to the helmet (which flies off) and immediately the following shot hits between the eyes. It felt bit of a ripoff from Saving Private Ryan.

The Watchmen - Hallelujah Sex Scene
I love this film- one of the very few movies I have seen twice in the theater. It has a perfect soundtrack linked to great action sequences until they ramp up the Leonard Cohen. It is so over the top it becomes a parody of itself. The pinnacle of stupidity is when Nite Owl orgasms and hits the flame thrower, shooting his metaphor across the night sky. I love great sex scenes, but this whole sequence is ham handed and pulls you so far out of the movie it takes a while to crawl back through that fourth wall again

I hate that scene and that lame overrated song.

The bor gullet scene in Rogue One...

Whittaker's acting was way over the top. The CGI of the creature was awful. And I don't know that the scene contributed to the plot in any way.

Sean

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back