MonsterMan Thoughts Feelings and Reviews (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Getting an IMDB credit is fairly easy, I have an IMDB credit as a key grip for a movie a friend made....and all I did was help with lighting.

I don't think it's fair to pick on Cleave, guys. The Monster Suit looked amazing but I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." In low-budget film-making your practical effects artists are losing out to CGI. Higher budget productions use practical effects because they can afford to but in Low Budget when money matters it's sometimes too easy to go for the cheaper CGI model-work than the actual prop and monster.

But, don't they constantly say about being the best in the industry and working for all the big names? Some of said "low-budget" things they did, look as if they could have been done by a 12 year old in a garage.

yeah, i agree with much that has been said. the props looks like butt and the scripting is terrible. i prefer face off. at least you get to see some awesome work on that show.

That Werewolf last night really didn't fit the bill on the head. They go on saying how it's all CGI now, did they even watch Underworld? They had all sorts of actual Lycan builds.

Hell, a lot of the stuff on Face-Off had a better product and they had 3 days to finish those.

Look at Dog Soldiers! No cgi and the costumes were ultra badass!

there are so many, so many, talented people on this forum. if anything, they deserve their own show to show off true craftsman. cleave needs to go back to arts and crafts in elementary school. enough said

Its shows like this that make me so so thankful Mythbusters didnt follow the same scripted, bitching, back stabbing, fake argument, fake deadline route.

What MB did was take a number of people who had true personality and got them to be themselves. Thats the back bone of the MB success.

WHy do producers continue down the same tired route of American Chopper etc. Its so bad its utrue!

Rant over :)

weequay

Scripted means control, something guaranteed to shoot, edit, and release. Reality TV is rarely, if ever real as you see it on TV. MTV's Real World has been exposed many times, look at Man vs Wild, Survivor and any other big time reality TV series and all have been exposed. I see Face Off was brought up and funny thing is, where is this time invested to run foam and hours in the oven? Its TV, even the news is over dramatized much of the time.

Myth Busters is great, BUT, the deviation from actual myths to movie recreations is losing me. Id like to see the guys test the Salvia myth.

This show dissapoints me...
He claims to work with the "best in the business" - his two grunge daughters, his ex-wife and two guys I never heard of.
To me, making such a claim is a slap in the face to really top-shelf companies like Stan Winston Studios and the like.
The work that comes out of this show is really nothing spectacular, I've seen better work come from RPF members.
The work coming out of MonsterMan looks rather plain and cheap and very basic when it comes to special effects.
That being the case, we need to start our own show called "PropMasters"
I'd watch the crap out of that!

He's a slap in the face to most low budget effects companies to be honest. They see it and probably cringe that now everyone will think that low budget effects companies are all like this.

They'd have to have a pretty huge pair to pop up in this thread. I mean even the nicer posts still think the show sucks.

They'd have to have a pretty huge pair to pop up in this thread. I mean even the nicer posts still think the show sucks.
Yeh, it definitely wouldn't help their self esteem, although judging from the show, the one thing they do have is plenty of ego.

But at least by joining here, they may learn how to build better effects. And that there are a lot of materials you can use---besides foam!

You know, I gotta say that I really don't get all the hate and vitriol that's being directed at this show. Yeah, Cleve is a goofy guy and his daughter is an obnoxious brat, but he's doing what he loves with his family. Kinda hard for me to fault him for that.

Now I'm not saying that the show is good, cause it defiantly reeks to high hell. But that's purely the fault of the producers. They're the ones that think a reality TV show has to make everyone look like idiots. They're the ones that script it to make it appear as if they only have one week to do the job (although that often is true). The producers are the ones creating fake movies and music videos and then trying to sell them as real clients. And they are the ones doing the stupid cliffhanger editing and pushing the subjects to get into fake arguements.

The sad thing is that there really is a very good show here about a guy clinging to the old practical effects in a digital world and how they always have to sacrifice quality for budget and time, but it's being killed by the idiot producers who keep trying to make it into an "American Chopper" clone.

You know, I gotta say that I really don't get all the hate and vitriol that's being directed at this show. Yeah, Cleve is a goofy guy and his daughter is an obnoxious brat, but he's doing what he loves with his family. Kinda hard for me to fault him for that.

Now I'm not saying that the show is good, cause it defiantly reeks to high hell. But that's purely the fault of the producers. They're the ones that think a reality TV show has to make everyone look like idiots. They're the ones that script it to make it appear as if they only have one week to do the job (although that often is true). The producers are the ones creating fake movies and music videos and then trying to sell them as real clients. And they are the ones doing the stupid cliffhanger editing and pushing the subjects to get into fake arguements.

The sad thing is that there really is a very good show here about a guy clinging to the old practical effects in a digital world and how they always have to sacrifice quality for budget and time, but it's being killed by the idiot producers who keep trying to make it into an "American Chopper" clone.
I have to agree that I really hate the producers of most of these "reality" shows. They edit it to up the drama. I don't care about the drama. If I want to see drama I'll go to work and have a meeting with a coworker. The best part is the cliffhangers. On Sons of Guns, which I am about to give up on, half the time they go in to shoot a gun they move around the camera and then just as they are about to shoot they go to commercial. But sometimes before the actual commercial they will show a clip to from what is going to be on after the commercial and they show them firing the gun. Shows like "How It's Made" are much better and occasionally give me ideas for something I would like to try.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back