MonsterMan Thoughts Feelings and Reviews (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Draphin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Hello All I thought we might try a thread for MonsterMan and as the Title suggests this thread will contain Spoilers. I know we have the ability to put spoilers in a special format so you have to click to read but that would cover this entire Thread so I put it out front. Don't read any further if you Don't want this to be spoiled.

Disclaimer aside I will start with my Thoughts. Having had a brief brush in the Film industry I saw allot that was way to eerily familiar. ie: the impatience on set and the sudden changing of deadlines at the last minute. Some things never change. As Somewhat expected their is Family Drama and Business Drama and in the background some cool tip to be had on building monsters. I like it but I won't feel stressed to catch it all the time.

All in all :thumbsup

2. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I just did not like this show very much at all. This show reeks of scripting. I mean I saw it coming a mile away when the deadline was pushed way up, and the reconciliation at the end as well. I also loved how they were all wearing respirators inside their mouths yet somehow they were able to talk.

Also, when someone says to me "2 headed shark" I immediately think of what their puppet looked like. Are you telling me that none of the concept artists for that company could come up with that?

I don't specifically remember if they actually cast the torso, but the one dude was complaining that he'd have to stay all night to make a mold? The speed up made it look like an hour tops.

Also the movie that Sean Cunningham was directing supposedly doesn't even exist.

To me this show was a fail on all levels.

3. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

Yea I also thought the show was not that good. I would like to see more prop making and less of the guy wearing his stupid contact lens. It felt scripted to me also.

4. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

While I agree, it is overly scripted, like "Making Monsters" from the Travel Channel, I like seeing the lower budget aspect of the business.
    It wouldn't surprise me that the producers set up fake movie scenes for them to be a part of.
    I'll give it a chance. I'm glad that it'll movie to 10pm.

BTW, the advertised show about movie vehicles featuring the Parker brothers looks promising.

5. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

It was ok. I do find it odd that they bumped up shooting 2 weeks and waited til the last minute to say, "oh it's actually this friday now".

As soon as I saw the art for the 2-headed shark(one on top of another), I did think it looked rather stupid, but it just seemed to obvious that they were going to change it anyway(not because of the preview), just because you knew that a head on a head doesn't work.

I wouldn't run it past them that it was scripted to a sense, not to mention, when he walked in on the filming. That part seemed a lil scripted. But they did make rather cool looking stuff.

I'll give it a chance, but I am also looking at that preview for some kind of future vehicle making show.

6. Java

Java Sr Member

Is that Cleve Hall guy for real? Seeing him and his pancake make-up, eyeliner and "scary" contact lenses on Face Off tonight made me roll my eyes. :rolleyes

Did he forget to put in his fangs?

DVR'd the show, but not really looking forward to watching this guy.

7. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty much agree all that was mentioned previously. It unfortunately turned out exactly like I expected. In all these type shows, no matter where they take place or what occupation they're involved in, the people all seem to have redneck/white trash personalities, with all the b**ching and in-fighting. The theme of the show is just background noise. If I continue to watch, this will definitely be with the sound down and music on, pausing to watch the few times that they actually show them making something. Someone needs to bring back "Mega Movie Magic".

8. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Ok, after last night, I am sure it is scripted now. Last I checked, you don't start filming anything, until you for sure have costumes and whatnot. It's just too convenient that they are "running late" to get the costume done on time for shooting. This show just seems like everything is last minute issues and planning, just screams scripted. Such as, the didn't know until the last second that the gold bikini may not work on a green screen? Come on...don't they figure this stuff out during the planning phase of a movie? I mean, they do great work, but...

If I continue watching this, it will only be because I left the channel on.

9. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Ive watched two episodes and so far it's been OK but nothing too exciting. Honestly, the stuff they are making for the movies only looks fair to me. I could name a dozen people off the board here who could do better in their sleep.

I looked Cleve up on IMDB and his credentials really aren't too long. Doesn't look like he has done much of anything for 10 years. Some in the 80-90's then a huge break until like 2005 then nothing till now.

I still say he looks like the undertaker's deformed little brother.

I did learn that Jenna Elfman and Danny Elfman are related. For some reason I never put those two together.

10. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

That Werewolf last night really didn't fit the bill on the head. They go on saying how it's all CGI now, did they even watch Underworld? They had all sorts of actual Lycan builds.

Hell, a lot of the stuff on Face-Off had a better product and they had 3 days to finish those.

11. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I was really hoping to learn some cool things and see some interesting stuff on this show. But honestly I learn way more here on the boards. I don't get why they are always so rushed at the end. The werewolf didn't look that great at all. And the sharks from last week were a bit of a let down. Not that I could do better but still.

12. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Yeah, for that reason alone I won't bother ever watching this show after seeing him on Face Off. Stan Winston didn't need all that **** to make great monsters, this guy is a fake.

13. BornKilr

Exactly. Are we really supposed to believe a director wouldn't see the final creature until minutes before shooting? And they hadn't even tested it on the actor until then? Also, after shooting the scene, the director yells, "Cut. That's a wrap!". Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that mean shooting for a movie is complete? So that would mean the werewolf movie only had the werewolf in that 1 scene?
    Also, with the other segment, since when do directors actually film at the FX lab's location on an impromptu green screen setup? I'm familiar with the original "Forbidden Zone" and granted, it was cheaply made and very strange, but you'd think they would have actual sets for the 'sequel'.

14. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

It's fairly obvious why this guy works on super low budget films, his work speaks for itself. That werewolf head sculpt was terrible. When the actor looked straight, there was a huge gap in the fur between the suit and mask. At first I thought it was another fake movie until I found it on IMDB.

Also that princess prosthetic was brutal.

15. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. I looked at this show tonight for the first time.

It suffers badly from all the other "reality" show obviously
    scripted stereotypes as well.

16. BornKilr

And what was with his daughter's 'concept art'? It looked like a 3rd grader's drawing.

17. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There needs to be a mashup...

This werewolf is going to be a gamechanger!
    Never been done before.
    It's gonna have a flamethrower in it's mouth!
    Oh, and we got two days to do it!

All these shows are just ripe for parody.

18. fuzzylover

fuzzylover Well-Known Member

Yes, his daughter's concepting is both completely JUVENILE and plagaristic! Didn't anyone notice that one of her drawings was clearly traced over the American Werewolf in London design? (and badly at that). That werewolf design has one of the most distinct in film existence and the sketch she did didn't even deviate from it in the slightest! (although, good lawdy, if they HAD come closer to that design, they'd have had a helluva better end product)

It looked suitable for some off-broadway theatre production of the Three Little Pigs or something, but film, even low budget? Horrible.

19. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to agree with everything posted above.

Everything they made looks hoaky. Halloween store bought at best.

Don't tell me every episode is going to be two projects at once
    where they will always finish late, yell at each other the whole time
    and then be all lovey dovey at the end.

All I could picture during this show was American Chopper.

I hope this gets better. I was looking for something to enjoy after Face Off.

I am looking forward to the car one next month. That may be good!

I am also excited to hear that Face Off is back THIS summer. Two seasons in one year. AWESOME.

20. BornKilr

mrbungle likes this.
  21. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The way they filmed it, they made it look like they convienently had a whole werewolf torso mold onhand, ready to use. Was this made and just not shown or was it somethig they had.

They also give this guys credit for Nightmare on Elm Street, Starship troopers and what not. Maybe it's just me and maybe because there have only been two episodes but I am not seeing that kind of quality here.

Is it because all this work seems to be done for the Asylum or really low budget pictures? A lot of their shop seems to be just ramdom lifecasts
    and little molds of things.

I hope they are not going to take field trips in every episode too. Seems like a waist of time for what they have done so far.

22. BornKilr

I got the impression this was a generic muscle suit mold they had laying around. Which also defeats the purpose of a concept drawing, if you're gonna use stuff you have laying around. Unless of course they take that into consideration when creating the design, which it doesn't seem like they did.

23. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

I must say I too am not that impressed with it. I was really hoping for something special here and I think that blinded me a bit but now that I have seen two episodes and both had the same exact theme. Two jobs come in, Dad Argues with Daughter, Boss explains blood pressure, They end up being late for the shoot but in the end no one cares. I will watch again just for the Shop aspect but I just don't think this show is going to catch on. Oh well.

24. Thatoneguy

Thatoneguy New Member

I'm gonna hope that the show will show and explain something worth while at some point...

25. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm actually pretty surprised at this show. FaceOff truly tests the artists for coming up with the most realistic results they can get in a short amount of time. Those guys do some amazing stuff.

So far MonsterMan seems like a company that does FX work for B-Movie stuff with much lower caliber realism and cheap-looking home filmmaking.

The Elfman footage even looked terrible! Is it all some kind of joke? I was thinking for that weird lady face makeup appliance they would have gone with silicone because the foam latex has a less real look to it... at least that's what I learned off FaceOff those guys would use.

I mean I'm not a master effects makeup and monster creator, but I do have eyes trained enough to tell what looks super fake and what looks real. That "polished" film footage they showed of the werewolf looked terrible!

26. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

this scripting and the "banter" on this show totally reminds me of the show Sons of guns

27. cherrykaneh

cherrykaneh New Member

I have to agree I was quite excited to watch this show but it is stupidly scripted and a lot of the work is awful

28. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I figure it'll last a season, 2 if SyFy is smoking crack and then it's done.

29. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'd rather see repeats of "Movie Magic".

30. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Just saw the werewolf episode. God awful. The teeth look comical in the suit, the daughter can't draw well enough for her job, the 'monsterman' and his stupid * contacts and makeup looks like a moron, and I don't believe any movie ever films the way they presented in this show. As far as I'm concerned, this is all fake and not worth ever watching again.

31. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

we should write a rpf series for amc, where different people show building props and stuff :D

32. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Now I like that idea.

33. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Ok, last night pretty much sealed it for me. Horrible episode. You couldn't tell me the shows not scripted. The guy shows up and asked for a biomechanical spider thing, with no designs, or anything, and expected it for shooting in 2 weeks. And this guy was a real jerk about it too. Every time he popped up, he had an attitude etc. Naturally, the crew came down to last minute to finish it and get it on set. I seriously want to know how they didn't even get to building til 2 days to deadline. The spider didn't look too bad...but, still wasn't anything spectacular like they make it out to be. During the build, the guy he put in charge of making the body comes up with some parts he built, and *whatever the guys name is(creepy guy), tells him he hates it, and the builder defends himself by saying that he had no designs to go off of and you are giving him crap over it? That one really upset me.

Next, a guy who wants them to make a giant demon ant. This thing was 99% foam...and looked like garbage. Seriously, it looked like one I could buy from a pharmacy during Halloween. The goal was to make a prototype so they could blow it up and see how it looked. They get it to the set with no problems, and they go to apply stuff, the director asks them how long, they reply a couple minutes. A minute later, the director is naturally in a rush and asks how long again, to which they said another 15 seconds...

The whole episode I was facepalming and shaking my head. I seriously don't want to watch it, but I feel like it is the Family Circus(funny pages) of TV shows. I hate it but I am strangly drawn to it because of my hate.

34. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'd be horrified if these movies they're making stuff for are real. The ant's in "Them" from the 50s looked better. Actually most of the stuff you see in the 50s looks better than what they put out.

35. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Sadly I saw the box for Two Headed Shark on the DVD Rental Rack at my local Video Store. Half tempted to rent it just to see the scene they filmed. But then I came to my senses. :behave

36. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

The effects may be REALLY bad from "Them!" but that movie still creeps me the hell out. :lol

I have only seen the first two episodes and then gave up on this show but everything I have seen, even the previews for the coming week's episode look horrible. I wonder if the person in charge of this show sits there and actually thinks that this stuff looks good when it's done or if they just assume the general public wont know better and will be impressed regardless.

37. Java

Java Sr Member

yet, Blood and Chrome rots on the shelf.

38. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Yeah... I want to support anything with ties to our hobby, but I think I am done with this show. It is beyond terrible.

39. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

that's exactly how i feel about both this and comic book men.. both are horrible and obviously scripted but you really WANT to like them so you keep watching...

40. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

No I watch shows like these to prove a point to my wife.
    That people will watch any crap they see on TV.:behave

41. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After three episodes it time to call it quits. I really had hoped this would be a good show about the FX buissness. But this show is just bad.

42. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

This show is complete garbage. Cleve and his daughter are a couple of freaks and their work totally sucks. He claims to have 35 years in the biz...yeah, right, the quality of the work sure doesn't show it. Low budget, D-list tripe to say the least.

43. BornKilr

Well, I watched last night with the sound down and some tunes playing, just looking up to see what they were building occasionally. That worked for a while until they showed that brutal ant prop. Next week, I think I'm gonna try watching it with both the sound down and video off. I think that may work.

44. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

Just adding to the overall sentiment here...I was so excited that I might learn from the show but there has hardly been any explanation or production detail.

Beyond that, the "monster man" is an employee of a low budget fx co, and I am so distracted by the overt creepy look and general malaise for work and people that even the few tidbits of info that sneak in are not exciting.

Forget the production schedule drama, yada yada...explain and teach!! Keep physical effects alive by being positive about them and teaching more folks how to do them.

I am sorely disappointed, but like others, psyched to see more face off coming very soon!

Mike

45. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

The teeth for their werewolf were comical. Like it was from a sabertooth tiger project or something.

46. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'd be ashamed to have his stuff in my film even if it was a super low budget, i bet he isn't charging low budget prices to the film makers.

47. ReplicaGod

ReplicaGod New Member

I've only watched the last 2 episodes, and I hope it will be better but I doubt it. I think he is just making stuff for the crappy Syfy movies.

48. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I started watching this show, to see if I could some stuff about casting, mold making or any new technique. All I've learned is that low-budget movies have no understanding of time constraints and have even less expectations for their creatures. I understand that these are all campy B-movies that even the MST3K crew wouldn't bother ripping on. But my god, learn how to say "I don't care holw long you've been doing this, that looks like crap".

I've tried looking up the movies, or at least the directors, that come on this show. The directors that you can find on IMDB have done nothing decent, in decades. Most of the movies they claim to be making don't show on IMDB, as either completed or in production.

This Cleve guy, his work is Party City halloween costume quality, at best. The guys from ToHo, 50 years ago, made better monsters. Can I do any better - not even a chance. But I'm not on TV, claiming to be a master monster maker, either. That wolf was embarassingly cartoony. The shark was ridiculous and I couldn't make heads or tails of that bio-mechanical bug. I hope that with the demon ant, at least, that the final product was over-sprayed with a self-skinning rubber, to hide the seams.

Here's to hoping it doesn't get a second season.

-Fred

49. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I think this is being universally ripped apart. I haven't heard one person who was like "this is awesome!!!"

If this gets a second season, I'll be shocked.

50. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I wouldn't be shocked if this company is the one making the stuff for Syfi's movies and that's how they got the show.