ccc9090

Hello, I am very interested in creating the Mirror of Erised from Harry Potter that is the correct size and as close to screen accurate as I can. I have access to a large CNC, some good laser cutters and engravers and 3d printers. I am hoping to make this with as many sharable files as I can. I am wondering if anyone out there has figured out the actual dimension of the screen used prop and/or has a good 3D model of the frame OR if anyone out there has the skills to make a more accurate 3d model (I am still working on my art/prop level modeling skills...) I went to The wizarding world tour in London and got some close up photos of the screen used prop but wasn't able to get a good photo to use for scale.

*I am have the full-size RAW files of the photos if any one wants them

Attachments

• _MG_0681.jpg
    _MG_0681.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 574
  • _MG_0682.jpg
    _MG_0682.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 528
  • _MG_0685.jpg
    _MG_0685.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 440
  • _MG_0686.jpg
    _MG_0686.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 403
  • _MG_0687.jpg
    _MG_0687.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 587
Wow ! This is an awesome idea. I really, really wish I could win the Lotto. Seeing your project made me realize that I know how to make a fully functional version of this. That you could walk up to the mirror, and then Harry Potters parents would appear in the mirror WITH YOU.

It would be a totally awesome effect that would blow people away.

and add facial recognition to load up the correct graphic

Yep, at a Party, where the guests were predetermined well in advance of the party, you could have their faces input and give them a questionnaire before hand asking them various questions before the party, including "What is your deepest desire ?" being hidden amongst the other questions.

brilliant, I've always wanted to make this. but I don't have a big enough space to make it.
I am currently trying to find a new home and if I don't have the height for it. I might make one that "disappears" into the ceiling so I can have it where I want. I might end up making 2 cause I really want a full size one haha. We'll see thought. The big dream is to have the mirror be a secret door into a theater room.

Wow ! This is an awesome idea. I really, really wish I could win the Lotto. Seeing your project made me realize that I know how to make a fully functional version of this. That you could walk up to the mirror, and then Harry Potters parents would appear in the mirror WITH YOU.

It would be a totally awesome effect that would blow people away.
OOOOOoooo I like that! Little 2 way mirror action? You would need a pretty big tv behind there I would think. Is that what you were thinking? I was thinking I might just have big photo with a light that fades on when you get close to the mirror. But having it change based on who is looking is incredible!

OOOOOoooo I like that! Little 2 way mirror action? You would need a pretty big tv behind there I would think. Is that what you were thinking? I was thinking I might just have big photo with a light that fades on when you get close to the mirror. But having it change based on who is looking is incredible!

Even though most people don't know about them, there are NOW translucent TV's. When the TV is off, it looks like a window and you can see through it. It doesn't have 100% visibility, but is still see-through. When the TV is on, any pixel that is lit, lights up. Meaning if something is TOTALLY BLACK being projected onto the TV, no pixels would light up. You would make sure that everything being projected onto the screen is lit, but everything else is being projected as black. So, you would have an actual mirror behind everything, and in front of that the translucent TV. Any non-lit pixels would be transparent and you would see the mirror behind the TV. So, you could project *ANY* image from a computer with an HDMI output onto the TV screen. A person in front of the mirror would totally see themselves, the room, everything in the mirror, but would also see the computer generated image in the mirror with them.

Even though most people don't know about them, there are NOW translucent TV's. When the TV is off, it looks like a window and you can see through it. It doesn't have 100% visibility, but is still see-through. When the TV is on, any pixel that is lit, lights up. Meaning if something is TOTALLY BLACK being projected onto the TV, no pixels would light up. You would make sure that everything being projected onto the screen is lit, but everything else is being projected as black. So, you would have an actual mirror behind everything, and in front of that the translucent TV. Any non-lit pixels would be transparent and you would see the mirror behind the TV. So, you could project *ANY* image from a computer with an HDMI output onto the TV screen. A person in front of the mirror would totally see themselves, the room, everything in the mirror, but would also see the computer generated image in the mirror with them.
Interesting thoughts. Few things though to play devils advocate; You need to keep in mind how big the mirror is. Its like 9' tall by 4 or 5' wide. You would need a translucent tv to fill the whole thing if you wanted to mount it as the front main piece of glass. Those tv's are crazy expensive too... I know you can make your own with a normal monitor but they are very delicate and temperamental on the environment and what color/light is behind them (or in this case in front of due to the mirror behind it). The easier and cleaner solution IMO would be to use a large 2 way mirror (also not cheap, you could use a film but they never look perfect) and mount a tv behind it. The only thing you would need to do it to get around the fact that the TV is not the same size as the full mirror, would be to use a black vignette on your image so whatever you are showing magically fades away back to a mirror at the edges. For Harry's parents for example, you would only see the top torso and have it "fade" away below the chest (depending on the size of TV) We are basically making a Magic Mirror (lol how suiting).

Yep, did not think of the TV projection color being affected by the image in the mirror behind it....also, maybe it wouldn't ?

Since the color of the TV is over the mirror, then light might not pass through the TV image to hit the mirror behind it and be reflected.

The mirror would actually reflect the image on the TV in front of it. (I think ? )

But yes, cost would be an issue. (which is why I mentioned the Lotto ) So, your 2 way option is cheapest.

Since the translucent TV's ( and regular ones ) are about 4 feet wide, you would have to stack them, 2 or 3 high.
You could stack some this way even if you're doing the 2 way mirror option. Translucent TV's that are stacked in FRONT
would have a visible seam. So, not so good for that.

if I were to have the budget, id actually cast the frame out of brass
oh, nice. It has some close up pics to help with the details of making your own. Nice find.

There's no WAY, it's 1:1 if it's only 5 ft tall. Notice that they have the girl sitting down in front of it ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back