Mid Grade Phaser project

Here ya go- the shape & length are clearly different, but the middies were 1/4 inch longer... at least, that's my understanding.View attachment 1761501

Unfortunately, I hate to report that is not correct (the belief that the midgrades are longer than the heroes)…they are roughly identical in size (with small variances as hand-made objects).

It appears that Ron’s current shells are still running far too long and require a “cut down” of both the Phaser I and Phaser II for accuracy.

Unfortunately, I hate to report that is not correct (the belief that the midgrades are longer than the heroes)…they are roughly identical in size (with small variances as hand-made objects).

It appears that Ron’s current shells are still running far too long and require a “cut down” of both the Phaser I and Phaser II for accuracy.

Attachments

• 385521547_1520419785379104_2910533715557224848_n (1).jpg
    385521547_1520419785379104_2910533715557224848_n (1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 83
But that's not a mid-grade. If you go by the standard that the nozzle is 1" front to back, then by this photo of a known mid grade Ron's measurements are more or less correct, no?
View attachment 1761744

Sorry, my friend, I didn’t intend to ignite the whole “the heroes and midgrades all came from one base mold” (which I ascribe to) vs. “there were multiple molds and therefore multiple sizes and versions” debate and derail your build thread.

Enjoy your build; it’s looking great! (y)

Last edited:
Sorry, my friend, I didn’t intend to ignite the whole “the heroes and midgrades all came from one base mold” (which I ascribe to) vs. “there were multiple molds and therefore multiple sizes and versions” debate and derail your build thread.

Enjoy your build; it’s looking great! (y)
Not multiple, just a second set of molds for the new mid grades. If the mids & heroes both came from the same molds, why do they look different? And don't give me that old I am not programmed to respond in that area jazz. LOL

Okay, progress:
Handle & P2 all primed, P1 is even painted.
20231115_170626.jpg
20231115_170708.jpg
20231115_170337.jpg

If the mids were from a different mold then why do they have the B & W meter layout (the two squares) on the P1s?

I do not subscribe to the two (or more) mold theory, makes no logical sense other than to explain discrepancies in fake mids, IMO.

Great looking phaser, I never tire of a good phaser build!

Ahhhh, but now I wonder why the heroes DO NOT have that etching!

They absolutely did, after all, they are converted black and whites which as we know have the two meter windows. That detail was covered over during Wah's conversion.

EDIT - Just saw Cap Dunsels reply, sorry for duplicating the info

Sanded lightly & re-painted this morning. The handle is fine now. Re-painted the P1- it was not dark enough- looked too much like the hero colour. P2 is all painted and touched up.
Now the hardest part- it's all there & ready to throw together, but I gotta WAIT at least 24 hrs....

20231117_105952-jpg.jpg

20231117_110413-jpg.jpg

20231117_110329-jpg.jpg

Nice work! (y) I wonder if the handle paint reacted with the epoxy putty or fiberglass resin when it buckled like that? Really odd. I’m glad you were able to remedy the issue on a second pass. Cue Mr. Petty: 'The waiting is the hardest part' (your official earworm for today!) But it does give you time to lay out your hardware and make sure everything’s ready to assemble. Are you planning on aging or distressing the final build or keeping it as-is?

Nice work! (y) I wonder if the handle paint reacted with the epoxy putty or fiberglass resin when it buckled like that? Really odd. I’m glad you were able to remedy the issue on a second pass. Cue Mr. Petty: 'The waiting is the hardest part' (your official earworm for today!) But it does give you time to lay out your hardware and make sure everything’s ready to assemble. Are you planning on aging or distressing the final build or keeping it as-is?
Yeah, getting it all prepared. Not stressing at all about the little imperfections. To clean & too neat is NOT what these mid grades were. Super fine sanded some of the nozzle ring.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back