Mandalorian Reference Thread

Looking at pix from the D23 exhibit (see page 2 of this thread) the shoulder strap attaches to the bandoleer with a buckle on the front and has some sort of weaver sling mount that attaches to the rifle.
From there the bandoleer looks to go down behind the belt and has a loop that goes through a hole in the cape.
It has a snap to hold it closed.

Alright. So the way I do Beskar is as follows.

Black primer (duplicolor)
2K automotive clear over the black.
Chrome (Alumaluster) sprayed at about 65/75% opacity. You want more of a gun metal tone.
2K clear to seal the chrome.
Oil paints thinned with Naptha to weather.

That is a very basic overview of the process. It’s also how Legacy does it. Unfortunately this method isn’t available for a lot of hobbyists due to the cost, and health risks of the 2K. You really need a full spray booth to spray that stuff.. it’s nasty.

There are good alternatives though. For chrome, you can use Alclad products, Spaz Stix chrome, quicksilver (water based) chrome, etc. You can seal with products like Liquitex High Gloss Varnish, Aquagloss, weather with acrylics.

I spent a lot of time developing a way to put the 2K clear directly on the chrome without dulling the finish noticeably so my Beskar actually retains a little more reflectivity than is “accurate.” But I prefer it that way over how something like say the Anovos looks.
How would you spray the paint at a 65/75% opacity? Also could you post a video on how you do your weathering and a link to the oil paints you used?

What rangefinder are you talking about?
That big antenna thing sticking out of the side of most Mandalorian helmets that they use for targeting. It's called a rangefinder, and Mando doesn't have one on his. I think it makes his helmet look empty without one.
WT3lLoT.jpg

For those who went the Alumaluster and HVLP gun route, what pressure did you find worked best? I have some experience with a basic airbrush, but picked up a mini spray gun for this project. I know I’ll need to tweak, but am looking for a place to start to avoid wasting too much of this paint (sooo expensive lol). Thanks!

Sideshow and Hot Toys have they're life-size version at about 14", so this one is only slightly off. I've been watching clips on Gallery and sometimes he looks smaller than 14". It's really hard to tell though.
View attachment 1309560
If Hasbro's Child is that close to full-size, I wonder what their rationale for making him only about 80%-sized was? They could have done him full-size, charged $40 and they would have made a killing.

If Hasbro's Child is that close to full-size, I wonder what their rationale for making him only about 80%-sized was? They could have done him full-size, charged $40 and they would have made a killing.

It could be a licensing issue. I know only Hasbro can make action figure in the 3"- 4" range. That's why any other company (ie: Funko) that makes Star Wars figures ends up making them into bobbleheads. A bobblehead is not considered an action figure. Also why none of the other lines of Pop! figures are bobbleheads.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet...Rubies Mando blaster! Looks decent, I wonder if the scale is ok?

Pedro- Where'd you find that at? I googled "Rubie's Mandalorian blaster" and nothing came up. I'd be interested in seeing how close it is after repainting. The ANH Leia blaster actually wasn't too bad. Super cheap and fragile, but the sculpt was decent.

It could be a licensing issue.
But two different companies make a "life-size" Child. Would Disney give licenses to both Hot Toys and Sideshow, but not Mattel ? If that's the case, I wonder how close to life-size Mattel was allowed to get? Could they do a 90-95% scaled one? Then why not?

EDIT: Fixed it from Hasbro to Mattel.

Last edited:
But two different companies make a "life-size" Child. Would Disney give licenses to both Hot Toys and Sideshow, but not Hasbro? If that's the case, I wonder how close to life-size Hasbro was allowed to get? Could they do a 90-95% scaled one? Then why not?

I think Sideshow and Hot Toys have a special relationship considering Sideshow distributes Hot Toys items. There are also many companies that make 1:12 scale figures (6"), so all licenses differ.

More than likely the reason is that the people at Mattel (Hasbro didn't make the plush child) didn't do the same amount of research that Sideshow and Hot Toys did when creating the Child.

More than likely the reason is that the people at Mattel didn't do the same amount of research that Sideshow and Hot Toys did when creating the Child.
I would have thought Lucasfilm/Disney would send them the "real" 3d files for something like that. You learn something new every day.

The Mattel one is meant to be a children's toy. They probably didn't think anybody would care that it's not perfectly sized. It is a little annoying just how close it is though.

The Mattel one is definitely a bit chibi-fied so that it's more of a toy than replica - the head seems slightly larger than it should be, and the ears smaller in relation to it. Its likeness is softer and cuter as part of that mass appeal toy/doll approach, but the feel of the character is still strongly present. I think they really did a great job within the limitations of a $25 toy - it's still the right size to fit into the scout trooper shoulder bag, as well. I'd imagine that price point is also why it's a couple inches short and without feet (the body is essentially a stuffed bag).
FF418A9D-8B73-402F-9353-34B33C666147.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back