Mad Max: Fury Road

I think I've figured out what my issue is with the "look" of this movie. It's not that it looks to be all CGI. I mean, I'm sure there's some, but not as much as there could be.

I think the real issue is actually quite simple: color timing. The color timing makes the entire thing look garish, overly "red" tinted, and unrealistic, to the point where the whole thing looks like a video game. That issue alone completely visually separates this film from the original three, to the point where I see it less as a "Mad Max" movie, and more as a knockoff. That's not to say it will be good or bad, necessarily. It just doesn't look or feel like the older films in the slightest, and I think a big, big part of that is due to color timing.

Yeah, I'm back to skeptical about this movie. This will be Mad Max's Phantom Menace, Hobbit, Crystal Skull, etc. It looks like the movie version of an overproduced album. I will admit, 1,2, and 3 look nothing alike, so it seems churlish to complain that this doesn't look like Mad Max. But it's got a whiff of Michael Bay about it, honestly.

Last edited:
How does everyone stay so ripped during the post apocalypse? :lol
r.

Remove complex carbohydrate from your diet forever and that's what you would look like. That's what we are supposed to look like. Amazing how unhealthy and skewed our perception of our bodies are. They look like 90% of the triathletes I compete against.

They ruined it! *cries*

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 7.34.39 PM.png

Ok i'm sold on this being a single chase throughout, it looks insane!!! Hardy must like the feel of facemasks? Lol. So its confirmed that BvS DOJ has a trailer attached to this film, this movie is definitely a must see no matter what

Yeah, I'm back to skeptical about this movie. This will be Mad Max's Phantom Menace, Hobbit, Crystal Skull, etc. It looks like the movie version of an overproduced album. I will admit, 1,2, and 3 look nothing alike, so it seems churlish to complain that this doesn't look like Mad Max. But it's got a whiff of Michael Bay about it, honestly.

OK, I've watched it a few more times, and I feel like my first impression was too grumpy. I'm rooting for this. I really, really, really want it to be awesome. Because Mad Max is more or less the greatest thing ever. And who am I kidding, I'll be there opening weekend.

Sorry, no, that defeats the purpose entirely... who drives around the wasteland looking for gas in an electric?!? :lol That is actually pretty freakin awesome, and the kids' outfits would be super easy to make, using scrap cloth and leftover stuff like foam, etc. Which reminds me, I was 5 or 6 yrs old and had just bought a boomerang, so my older brothers found an old fur coat, ripped it down, and made me into the Feral Kid! My goodness i need to hit the photo albums asap

I think I've figured out what my issue is with the "look" of this movie. It's not that it looks to be all CGI. I mean, I'm sure there's some, but not as much as there could be.

I think the real issue is actually quite simple: color timing. The color timing makes the entire thing look garish, overly "red" tinted, and unrealistic, to the point where the whole thing looks like a video game. That issue alone completely visually separates this film from the original three, to the point where I see it less as a "Mad Max" movie, and more as a knockoff. That's not to say it will be good or bad, necessarily. It just doesn't look or feel like the older films in the slightest, and I think a big, big part of that is due to color timing.

I agree. Someone just thought it didn't look filmic enough and went crazy with the grading. :facepalm I wonder if these films will feel really dated in 10 years because of this look.
MAX RECOLORED.jpg vs maxresdefault.jpgOR
MAD MAX RECOLOR.jpg vs o-MAD-MAX-FURY-ROAD-facebook.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Someone just thought it didn't look filmic enough and went crazy with the grading. :facepalm I wonder if these films will feel really dated in 10 years because of this look.
View attachment 458784 vs View attachment 458785OR
View attachment 458810 vs View attachment 458811

Exactly! See, to me, the "Lindsay Lohan" approach to color timing (everything's orange) (A) makes everything look dated (e.g., "very 2010s"), and (B) removes it from the rest of the continuity completely. Which, truth be told, they may be trying to do anyway, and that's fine (and we've discussed that above). But just toning the grading down in the two more natural pictures you posted instantly makes me more inclined to view it as "a Mad Max movie" rather than "Some millennial director's fever-dream of what a Mad Max movie could look like."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back