Mad Max Furiosa

I wanted to see that one. I'll have to remember to catch it on streaming. I think, much like DiCaprio, Pitt, or even Robbie, Hemsworth is likely more than just a pretty face and actually has some real acting chops.

Last edited:
Agreed. Fury Road is fantastic and this looks on par with continuing the same insane action with gorgeous visuals, so I'm totally on board. I'm actually pretty pumped to see this in the theater next summer.
Right? Just as long as they don't have:

Bouncy Guitar Guys :rofl:
I wanted to see that one. I'll have to remember to catch it on streaming. I think, much like DiCaprio, Pitt, or even Robbie, Hemsworth is likely more that just a pretty face and actually has some real acting chops.
Some actors/ actresses can absolutely stun you with their sheer breadth and true talent. I remember back in the late 80's, everyone thought Michael Keaton was absolutely gonna sink Tim Burton's Batman movie.

Today, he's often the gold standard other Batman portrayals are judged by, much like Chris Reeve and Superman.

Some actors/ actresses can absolutely stun you with their sheer breadth and true talent. I remember back in the late 80's, everyone thought Michael Keaton was absolutely gonna sink Tim Burton's Batman movie.

Today, he's often the gold standard other Batman portrayals are judged by, much like Chris Reeve and Superman.
I know I am in the minority, but I'll say it.

I still think Keaton was lousy. His manic tantrums only made him look immature.
I also think Burton's eccentricity was a weakness and Jack Nicholson's performance was phoned in. I saw the film in theaters in '89 when it was all the hype and thought it was mediocre. Oh yea, the '89 Batmobile is ridiculous, too.

By the way, do you know that the pearls in a quality pearl necklace are individually knotted and will not scatter, even if you broke the necklace? Only cheap pearl necklaces are strung loosely. So Thomas Wayne was a cheapskate, too.

This Furiosa trailer looks good. IMO it doesn't match the 'Fury Road' trailers but it's a promising start.

I like that it's not trying too hard with the action. We all know the action is gonna be there. The trailer seems to be 'over it' and more fixated on the characters & tone. Yesssssss.

I know I am in the minority, but I'll say it.

I still think Keaton was lousy. His manic tantrums only made him look immature.
I also think Burton's eccentricity was a weakness and Jack Nicholson's performance was phoned in. I saw the film in theaters in '89 when it was all the hype and thought it was mediocre. Oh yea, the '89 Batmobile is ridiculous, too.

By the way, do you know that the pearls in a quality pearl necklace are individually knotted and will not scatter, even if you broke the necklace? Only cheap pearl necklaces are strung loosely. So Thomas Wayne was a cheapskate, too.

IMO Burton's eccentricity became a drawback when it spiraled out of control in the 2nd movie. In the first one it was still hanging together and it did make the show feel alive in a way that a more straight-faced adaptation might not have.

Nicholson chewed the scenery well enough for that show. It wouldn't have been right in Nolan's verse or some others but it was tuned right for that one. I've always viewed his Joker as somebody who was unraveling at the seams and psychologically on his last legs. He's a more drawn-out version of a mass shooter who doesn't really expect to survive the mess he's making. Many other Jokers (Heath Ledger, Mark Hamill, etc) are in a longer-term-adversary gear.

In a sense that makes Nicholson's Joker one of the most correct ones. Too many Jokers end up being mashups of the Joker + the Riddler. They give him too much stability & IQ points (to make him more formidable). It skews away from what the character was intended to be.

Keaton's portrayal fit in the context of the movie and the sparring partner. Take the scenery-chewing Joker away and replace him with Danny DeVito's Penguin, and Keaton just seems moody in a bland boring way.

I think it's impossible to give the '89 Batman a fair shake without considering the time. Everybody was coming off the cheeseball Adam West show. Even "good" superhero movies consisted of the Christopher Reeve Superman shows which were still very throwback & straightlaced in the big picture. Tim Burton took a risk when he leaned Batman into the late-1980s adult world zeitgiest.

Last edited:
This does look absolutely amazing… right up until Hemsworth spoke. It’s hard for me not to see goofy buffoon when he is on screen these days. Really hope I am wrong but I can’t see him as a classic mad max villain in the same vein as Humungus, Toecutter, and Immortan Joe. I hope he “ has it in him to make it epic”. Everything else: WOW.

IMO Burton's eccentricity became a drawback when it spiraled out of control in the 2nd movie. In the first one it was still hanging together and it did make the show feel alive in a way that a more straight-faced adaptation might not have.

Nicholson chewed the scenery well enough for that show. It wouldn't have been right in Nolan's verse or some others but it was tuned right for that one. I've always viewed his Joker as somebody who was unraveling at the seams and psychologically on his last legs. He's a more drawn-out version of a mass shooter who doesn't really expect to survive the mess he's making. Many other Jokers (Heath Ledger, Mark Hamill, etc) are in a longer-term-adversary gear.

In a sense that makes Nicholson's Joker one of the most correct ones. Too many Jokers end up being mashups of the Joker + the Riddler. They give him too much stability & IQ points (to make him more formidable). It skews away from what the character was intended to be.

Keaton's portrayal fit in the context of the movie and the sparring partner. Take the scenery-chewing Joker away and replace him with Danny DeVito's Penguin, and Keaton just seems moody in a bland boring way.

NAH.gif

I think it's impossible to give the '89 Batman a fair shake without considering the time. Everybody was coming off the cheeseball Adam West show. Even "good" superhero movies consisted of the Christopher Reeve Superman shows which were still very throwback & straightlaced in the big picture. Tim Burton took a risk when he leaned Batman into the late-1980s adult world zeitgiest.

I am coming from the perspective of someone who was there in 1989, and public expectations were already primed with articles, interviews, stills and clips to expect a darker film. The memory of the farcical Adam West show was irrelevant. We already knew we were getting something different. And, for the most part, people loved it. I didn't.

I accept I'm in the minority here, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their opinion.

Also don't be so quick to credit Burton for infusing Batman with a modern noir vision. Noir Batman was realized by the work of folks like, Neal Adams in the comics. Adams, who passed away unexpectedly just last year (R.I.P.), did the heavy lifting in the early days while Batman was still being drawn strolling with Gordon on the streets of Gotham in broad daylight like any regular Joe with kids playing unfazed in the background. The work of Adams really rescued the image of Batman from the shadow of the TV show. Neal's artwork infused Batman with power and stature. The cape itself was almost its own character when Adams drew Batman. Neal Adams vowed that you will never see his Batman entering a room through the door.

I'm willing to bet that the hopes and expectations of comic readers in 1989 were different than that of the general public. Well, at least that's where I was coming from.

Burton only put his rendition of a Batman that was already realized in comics for years by folks like Adams.

We can agree to disagree about Batman 1989.

Here's my one Neal Adams drawing of Batman I purchased when he was alive.
Batman Adams.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1766213

I am coming from the perspective of someone who was there in 1989, and public expectations were already primed with articles, interviews, stills and clips to expect a darker film. The memory of the farcical Adam West show was irrelevant. We already knew we were getting something different. And, for the most part, people loved it. I didn't.

I accept I'm in the minority here, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their opinion.

Also don't be so quick to credit Burton for infusing Batman with a modern noir vision. Noir Batman was realized by the work of folks like, Neal Adams in the comics. Adams, who passed away unexpectedly just last year (R.I.P.), did the heavy lifting in the early days while Batman was still being drawn strolling with Gordon on the streets of Gotham in broad daylight like any regular Joe with kids playing unfazed in the background. The work of Adams really rescued the image of Batman from the shadow of the TV show. Neal's artwork infused Batman with power and stature. The cape itself was almost its own character when Adams drew Batman. Neal Adams vowed that you will never see his Batman entering a room through the door.

I'm willing to bet that the hopes and expectations of comic readers in 1989 were different than that of the general public. Well, at least that's where I was coming from.

Burton only put his rendition of a Batman that was already realized in comics for years by folks like Adams.

Here's my one Neal Adams drawing of Batman I purchased when he was alive.
He has that look of "I know you stole my grilled cheese sandwich". "lol"

Adams always did love that cape.

I'm aware that Burton didn't originate the darker 1980s Batman. Adams, Frank Miller, etc . . . the comics had already turned that corner years earlier.

The decision to go with a darker movie tone was a risk at the time. Whether the public finds out during the marketing or the opening weekend, either way it doesn't change the basic issue. By the time the public was seeing trailers it was too late to turn back.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tim Burton in general. IMO he was always a better production designer than a director. His action scenes aren't great and the tone of his more serious scenes is a crap shoot. But I do think the 1989 movie was the correct Batman flick for the time. It was necessary to prime the pump for the other versions of Batman that followed in the next 30 years.

IMO the 1990s animated TV series is the best moving-picture version of Batman that has ever been done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back