Mad Max: Fury Road

Well, Tread, as you know, the current Mods here like to have just one thread per topic, or per film, in this case. My first decade or so here, that was not the case. And I wish it was that way again. Because then we could have separate threads called, "ALDEN IS SHORT AND WILL RUIN SOLO!", "ROGUE ONE WAS MOSTLY A CRAPFEST!", and, "THEY SHOULDA CALLED IT MAD CHARLIZE!". And I could commiserate with my like-minded brethren about what's wrong with these movies, without upsetting you and others who happen to love the films. But the Mods don't want that. They want just one thread for ALL opinions to be posted, per topic/film/etc..

But it's not like I come here everyday to bash these (or any other) movies. Even if I make one critical comment, however, the white knights of those films reply and suck me right back in to the debate. For instance, take this thread. Someone posted how great the film was, and I replied, "Yeah, too bad it wasn't a Mad Max movie.". Well, that brought out multiple people defending the film, and clearly wanting to debate it. So I debated it. What's wrong with that? When someone quotes me, and posts their own contradictory take, I'm supposed to just ignore them? I can't "Dislike" them, because there's no such button. So I reply.

It sounds like what you're advocating here is censorship of opinions which deviate from your own. Sorry, pal, but I ain't down with that.

The Wook

So, you're just wanting to express your opinion, expecting not to get a response back for said opinion? And you're ticked because people who reply to your opinion reply? I'm asking so that we can clarify what you're saying, because that's what it seems like you're saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, you're just wanting to express your opinion, expecting not to get a response back for said opinion? And you're ticked because people who reply to your opinion reply? I'm asking so that we can clarify what you're saying, because that's what it seems like you're saying.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Generally speaking, I don't have expectations, one way or another, about people responding to my posts. Responses either come, or they do not. It is not up to me.

But when people do respond to something I've posted, I certainly do not get ticked. I rather enjoy the discourse. Unless, that is, we seem to be at an impasse, going around in circles. Then, I put an end to it. LIke I did with astroboy recently in this thread, in post #951.

The Wook

I was just looking at my cable guide and noticed that one of the 63 HBO channels is showing “Waterworld.”

I started thinking...”Waterworld” is literally the same movie as “Fury Road,” it’s just set on water instead of a desert.

Both are set in a future dystopia.
Both have a reluctant hero saving women.
Both have stupid names for things like “Dryland” and “Gas City.”
Both needlessly show the inner workings of the strange contraptions that future people build.
Both have dumb names for the bad guy groups...War Boys and Smokers.
Both have the reluctant hero head back out into the dystopian world after they’ve helped save the day.

Its actually kind kind of uncanny.

I was just looking at my cable guide and noticed that one of the 63 HBO channels is showing “Waterworld.”

I started thinking...”Waterworld” is literally the same movie as “Fury Road,” it’s just set on water instead of a desert.

Both needlessly show the inner workings of the strange contraptions that future people build.
Both have the reluctant hero head back out into the dystopian world after they’ve helped save the day.

You forgot one, Gimpdiggity.

Both stink.

I had the same thoughts about Fury Road when I saw it. Lots of structural similiarites to Waterworld.

Miller sort of inverted the WW premise. Drain the world's oceans rather than submerge the world's land.

It's not uncanny. It's just the basic dystopian formula. The same can be said for almost every dystopian movie:

Logan's Run
Brazil
A Boy and His Dog
Soylent Green
Omega Man
Hunger Games
The Island (2005)
Fifth Element
Logan
Wall-E

The exiled hero returning to conquer is an old trope dating from the story of Moses or The Odyssey.

In movies you can start with The Ten Commandments and trace the lineage to Gladiator and Fury Road.

Last edited:
Indeed, when Waterworld was released everybody in the press was calling it Mad Max on water.

It's hugely derivative of the Mad Max films.

Well yeah of course. In the big picture Waterworld owed its entire existence to George Miller's earlier Mad Max movies.

When water world came out it was heavily criticized for being a rip-off of the road warrior

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back