Limited Run Luke V2 liightsaber (Second Run) Sign up thread

Got the bearing and rod inside finally, only the rod is crooked and now the bearing is damaged.

The bearing isn't seated correctly. You should be able to break it apart by drilling it out and then replace it with one that fits.

I know it's too late for this instance, but... If something doesn't fit in smoothly (when lubricated) then don't force it - it's not likely to end well.

I know it's too late for this instance, but... If something doesn't fit in smoothly (when lubricated) then don't force it - it's not likely to end well.

That's good advice. I guess I felt confident because I'd always gotten it out before. I thought this time would be the final install and I trusted it would go in straight.

Dan's offered to fix it if I send it back.

HI. After some days of work, here is mine finished.
I used "spraymax" black epoxy primer for an "ultra hard" adhesion over aluminium, I used booster and emmiter front face trent stencils and customized after to break the flat look (used some wood and plastic tools for it to avoid scratching the surface), then sanded the primer with a 400/600 sandpaper and polished with "renaissance wax".
Thinking on weathering the booster a bit more but not decided yet. Also need to add the chunk piece but unfortunately, i dont have the neccesary tools...
Anyway, hope you like it :)

PS: Clamp is a vintage one. Roman´s were taking too long

luke v2 lightsaber by inigou, en Flickr

Last edited:
sweet paint job Inigou -- where did you find the vintage clamp? My V2 is also done except for this one piece...if I can find one at decent price, I'll get it.

Has anyone tried removing the rectangular nut thing from a real Graflex clamp sidebar to use on their saber? I'd like to do it so I've been putting my sidebar in and out of the freezer, like a day at a time, in the hopes that the frequent expanding and contracting of the metal might loosen the bond in there. And each time I throw it on the floor or a table to knock it around too. I don't wanna bang it with anything metal because it'll easily mar the surface. Any suggestions on how I might be able to loosen the bond chemically?

Has anyone tried removing the rectangular nut thing from a real Graflex clamp sidebar to use on their saber? I'd like to do it so I've been putting my sidebar in and out of the freezer, like a day at a time, in the hopes that the frequent expanding and contracting of the metal might loosen the bond in there. And each time I throw it on the floor or a table to knock it around too. I don't wanna bang it with anything metal because it'll easily mar the surface. Any suggestions on how I might be able to loosen the bond chemically?

OK so here's the way I like to remove the rectangular nut.
It's held in place with a little glue and then the sidebar is pinched tight to the sides.
What I'll do is bend one of the small square sides of the sidebar flat with a pair of pliers. This will allow you to get a straight shot at the side of the nut. Then a couple taps with a soft tipped punch and hammer and it'll pop right out without any damage to the nut or sidebar. You can then bend the side of the sidebar back into place, but it's essentially useless at this point.
The nut is a softer metel, brass I believe, and any attempts I made to pry it out always ended up nicking/marring the nut.

OK so here's the way I like to remove the rectangular nut.
It's held in place with a little glue and then the sidebar is pinched tight to the sides.
What I'll do is bend one of the small square sides of the sidebar flat with a pair of pliers. This will allow you to get a straight shot at the side of the nut. Then a couple taps with a soft tipped punch and hammer and it'll pop right out without any damage to the nut or sidebar. You can then bend the side of the sidebar back into place, but it's essentially useless at this point.
The nut is a softer metel, brass I believe, and any attempts I made to pry it out always ended up nicking/marring the nut.

Ohhh, open up the side, great idea!

Well I figure if I wanna make the sidebar functional again I can just epoxy in the nut that came with Roy's lever.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

My Luke V2 lightsaber.
Finished the paint job on it today, only missing the lever, clamp and the mystery chunk.
luke_v2.jpg

Thanks.
I used the stencils made by Trooper_trent and for the paint i used CRC Pro Paint Matt Black Acrylic. I might do the paint job again as I feel the paint isn't sticking enough to the aluminum. It can easily be scratched off using a finger nail. But for a first attempt on a lightsaber build, I'm quite happy with the result.

Here's mine, painted a week ago. The clamp I stole from my Obi-wan ANH saber for now, new Roman clamp will go on once that shows up mid Summer. I used Trooper Trent's stencils and chipped other areas myself. Paint is Krylon Colormaster paint + primer satin black. I took a hammer and sandpaper to it prior to painting and discolored the aluminum a little with multiple soakings in oven cleaner spray. D-ring is from Roy, ordered with the clamp lever (and parts for the new Roman Graflex flashgun) Rod end I painted black too, then chipped around the edges so there is a rough black paint area in the middle. Still need to tin the leads on the circuit board
IMG_1280.JPGIMG_1283.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back