Lucas to retire?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Jan 17, 2012.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

So he DOES hear our complaining. That's something.

3. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I can't blame him for feeling that way after what he has gone through just to bring Red Tails to the big screen.

4. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And the lack of consideration and tact with those complaints has -- according to this article -- affected his decision to not make any more Star Wars movies. Thanks.

Now I have to wait until he dies before we can have more big-screen Star Wars stories. In part because of the rampant stupidity and lack of consideration shown by fans with a entitlement complex. Great.

5. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

Truth!

6. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

It's a hard business to be in if you don't have a thick skin. If you can't take the criticism then retiring from making blockbusters may be the best thing to do. I hope he sticks with his plan and makes some movies that are more personal to him. He certainly doesn't need the money and smaller movies would probably be far more gratifying as a director.

Whether the prequels were criticized unfairly or not depends on what kind of fan you consider yourself and whether or not you are content to accept any level of quality as long as it has the name Star Wars attached to it. I myself have no desire to see anymore Star Wars but I know there's many people who would love to see more. To each their own.

It's too bad Lucas was given such a hard time with Red Tails, it looks like an entertaining movie that I will check out in the theaters. I think the studios could have shown him a lot more courtesy with regards to this.

7. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lucas Re-tiring ........... Again !!!

Just read this article about lucas re-tiring again ive copied and pasted for your attention

George Lucas is ready to retire, again. Though he previously threatened retirement before launching into the Star Wars prequels, the directors 20-year passion projectRED TAILS is finally hitting theaters this month, and with that Lucas says he’s basically done:
    “I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”
    That “stuff” would be blockbusters, and Lucas seems to be taking a page out of Francis Ford Coppola’s book and says he’s ready to move on to more personal material. Hit the jump for more, including what Lucas had to say to critics of his Star Wars tampering.
    Steve recently sat down with producer Rick McCallum, who produced not only Red Tails with Lucas but also the three Star Wars prequels. McCallum echoed Lucas’ retirement statements, saying Red Tails is the final long-gestating project that the Star Wars director had planned:
    Red Tails is the last of all the FILMS that he ever said [he wanted to make]. He started 23 years ago on Red Tails and now he has fulfilled everything he set out to do, which no…very few filmmakers ever get an opportunity to do. He’s done everything that he actually wanted and planned to do, including more American Graffiti, including the revised version of [THX]. He got to be able to do everything that he actually wanted to do.”
    So what does this “retirement” hold for Lucas’ future? McCallum says that Lucas will be taking a break, after which McCallum hopes he’ll move on to the smaller,independent movies that he’s always wanted to return to:
    “Now, with [Red Tails] completed, a little bit of rest, now I think he can set upon the next chapter of his life and figure out, ‘Okay, do I have a new set of films, a new kind of films that I want to do?’ And that’s what we hope and wait anxiously to hear from him on.”
    Lucas’ “retiring” quote comes from an extensive profile of the filmmaker in the NY TIMES , in which he talks about the hardships of actually getting Red Tails made and distributed. He concedes that after looking at a three-part epic script that tackled the training of the Tuskegee airmen, the dogfights over Europe, and the racist atmosphere the airmen returned to after the war, Lucas realized he couldn’t make the Lawrence of Arabia version:
    “I can’t make that movie. I’m going to have make this kind of . . . entertainment movie.”
    Red Tails merely focuses on the middle part of the story; the one with all the action. The piece notes that Lucas has left himself an out clause for a fifth Indiana Jones film, but for the forseeable future he seems to be done writing, producing, or directing big-budget flicks. No Lucas interview would be complete without Star Wars talk, and the director had some choice words for fanboys:
    “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’”
    Regarding the possibility of any future Star Wars movies, Lucas was incredibly blunt:
    “Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”
    As many have said before, I’d be fine with Lucas making all the changes to Star Wars he wants if he would just make available the original versions with zero edits. Nevertheless, it sounds like we may or may not get some Lucas indies in the future. Regardless of my personal opinion of Lucas, I’m intrigued to see what kind of small-budget independent MOVIES he’ll roll out.

8. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

9. Supa troop

Re: Lucas Re-tiring ........... Again !!!

HOLY CRAP :lol:lol:lol:lol

This actually doesn't count as being JEDIFYED that post wasnt there while i was typing mine so it's classed as void :lol

Im a WOLVERINE can i be let off please

10. Supa troop

11. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Interesting. Particularly the man's confusion over our complaints. Make all the changes you want George, they ARE your movies after all, just don't dispose of the films we love (and that made you incidentally) in the process.

I don't know anything about how "we're" changing the films, so I won't speak to that.

Enjoy your retirement George, you've earned it.

12. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

No way!!!!! It was there an hour and a half before and it's my first official Jedifyfe so it has to count!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

13. Supa troop

* !!! ok you got me :cry

14. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Oooo...no. No exceptions. Willie had you beat by almost two hours.

15. robn1

robn1 Master Member

That's what I've said, and I never said he was a terrible person! Make all the changes you want George, just give us the untouched originals in HD and I'll be ecstatically happy. I'd buy the whole CGId retconned saga just to get that!

16. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

No, I think he means himself :lol

18. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Yes! I'll buy the changed versions, but can we either just get the originals or retouched minus the SE stuff? I don't even have a problem with the SE, just the newest stuff.

It's disappointing that no studios thought Red Tails was a good idea.

19. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sorry george i have no sympathy for you. you altered the OT, you were singularly responsible for the prequels. you surrounded yourself with yesmen. its all you brotha. take some responsibility.

20. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm feeling this ay too. I don't mind the 1990s reworked OT as I had it on vhs and went to see it but I'd also love the untouched OT released. His yesmen must be hiding the fact that it's what folks want from him.

21. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Please for the love of god yes!!! Please retire!

22. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never had a problem with the prequels. If I was George I would make the movies I wanted to make and not what the fans demanded. Also, no matter what George Lucas did with the prequels there would always be fans who didn't like it, because you can't please everybody.

Anyway back to his retirement from blockbusters, I think George will make some good films, and I'm looking forward to what he does next. I just hope that George is still making films and continuing with Lucasfilm when I'm older and looking for an animation job in California, because it is my dream job to work for Lucasfilm.

23. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

He retired after Willow and The Last Crusade as far as I'm concerned.

24. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He's been saying the same thing since he finished Return of the Jedi. He said it again when he finished the prequels back in 2005, though now I think he will actually do it considering his age and the desire to do something fresh. For him to blame the fans and the media for him not making another Star Wars film is ridiculous, and for the record, I have always said he can do whatever he wants with his films. I just think from a film preservation standpoint he should release the original theatrical versions of the trilogy. Plus, he stands to make another ridiculous sum of money in the process. It's a win/ win for everyone. He's been wanting to done with Star Wars for years now, and I can't understand why he couldn't just come up with a new film, completely removed from what he's ever done. Does he have any other concepts left?

Plus, he should have retired years ago. Ever since Revenge of the Sith was released, I was hoping he'd FINALLY go back to making esoteric and avant garde films like he did in his early years. I'd be nice to think he had some raw talent left in him. I think, as I'm sure most fans do, that despite all of the * we do, we have nothing personal against the guy. He is human after all.

It would just be nice to be acknowledged that we are important to him, given that we were the ones who made him rich. He may have made the art, but we were the ones who bought it. The least he could do would be to simply give the fans what they want.

25. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%!:thumbsup

26. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

No. And the ones he had, he borrowed from someone else.

Reading that article, I can't help but think of the "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode where Robert started dating a black woman.

27. RooBee

RooBee Active Member

Thank God! He raped his fictions often enough... I would forgive him if he would release the unaltered OT and let another director make reboots of the prequel movies. Besides that: So long Lucas :cool

28. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The arrogance of some people is astounding.

YOU didn't like the PT so NO more should be made, regardless of how many people liked them.

Thanks.

29. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

For this very large favour which we have done for you, you are most welcome.

30. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Couldn't have put it better myself.

If this makes me a bad guy, then I'm 110% happy to be a bad guy.

31. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The only favor you've "done" me is the reminder and appreciation that I will never be so blatantly inconsiderate and selfishly destructive of the interests of others.

32. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Abso-frickin-lutely. Whiney fans didn't ruin Star Wars. George Lucas did. All whiney fans did was point it out. I'm thrilled he won't be making any more. I consider it damage control.

33. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

It's Lucas own fault for being lazy. If he had spent half as much effort with the script as he had on the effects he could have made the greatest series of movies ever.

He didn't. He slapped a bunch of production design and effects together loosely with a story, and after the initial "ooo's and aaaa's" of a new Star
    Wars movie wore off, people realized that they are crap.

so Lucas blames the fans, and says he isn't making any more... and you agree it's the fans fault for not liking what he created when he had every resource available to make whatever he wanted?

34. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

You know why he did it that way? Because that is how he made the original trilogy.

He didnt lose his touch, you just got older.

35. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

so you're saying the stories for the prequels are on par with the original tirlogy?

That the Phantom Menace is a character driven and compelling as Star Wars (or A New Hope if you prefer)

36. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Rubbish. You speak as if only kids appreciated the film in 1977. What rot. Stanley Kubrick was middle-aged when he saw and liked SW. The idea of this master admiring the PT is laughable, however. I suspect that what Kubrick liked about SW was that it was a well-crafted, perfectly-toned film that spoke a universal language. He would seek these qualities in vain in the PT.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  37. Weequay

Weequay Well-Known Member

What is most interesting to me is that GL actually does know how fans feel about him.

I really believed he was sheltered from all this by the 'yes men'. Its actually quite refreshing to see that he is not.

weequay

38. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

oops

39. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

sorry, but Lucas just sounds like a cry baby

if he can't take the boos with the cheers then that's on him... not those booing or cheering

40. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Screw all of you naysayers, I like Jar Jar Binks. Meesa Likes that scene where he gets his tongue caught in the pod engine coupler beam and it goes numb...........of course I'm a dentist. LOL.

41. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Im just saying many people regard Star Wars to be a lot better than it is. Nostalgia is not just relevant to when you were a kid.

If Lucas made another Star Wars movie, would you go see it?

I would.

42. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I sympathize with Lucas, but on the other hand, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Look, if you're gonna go mucking about with works that are cherished the world over to suit your own flights of fancy, you've got to expect to catch a bit of crap for it. If you're not up for that, hey, stay home.

Personally, at this point, it's less the constant tinkering that bothers me and more the constant tinkering while ALSO refusing to release "archival" versions alongside the new releases. Go ahead and tinker all you like, like an old man forever adjusting this or that in his house. But what Lucas seems to fail to recognize is that art is not solely HIS property. It's also the property of the public.

U.S. Copyright law actually reflects this, in theory, given that works can eventually enter the Public Domain and the rights to those works are no longer the exclusive rights of the author.

At any rate, given what I've taken away from his recent work, I won't personally be shedding a tear that there won't be any more George Lucas helmed Star Wars products, although I guess I can sort of sympathize with the fans who desperately want more SW product. I mean, if he changes his mind and goes ahead with other stuff, bully for him. I'd probably skip 'em anyway at this point, though.

That said, don't go blaming fan criticism for Lucas' own decision that he doesn't want to make the films any more. That's HIS decision and HIS alone. Nobody "made" him stop making film. He has now CHOSEN to do that. I mean, in all honesty, how many here would stop making props merely because idiots on the internet criticized the quality of your work? Now, how many of you would stop making them if you were also raking in boatloads of cash for your work?

I'm gonna guess you'd say "Pfft. Who cares what those jagoffs think? I'm makin' bank, yo." Or something to that effect. It's a choice. YOUR choice. Or rather, Lucas' choice in this case.

43. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

In that case I apologize to the three of you.

44. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

:lol :thumbsup

45. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope he makes more movies like THX 1138. Small movies instead of trying to hit home runs with everything and the kitchen sink would be nice.

46. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Given the fandom and conventions as well the outpouring of sci-fi enthusiast, I think the one that you cannot please all of the time is far outweighed by the ones George can. Sorry to see that it is affecting him but he should know better, especially given the studio crowd mentality. Hate to see this as the excuse for him to leave the big films behind.

But I would say overall, that he should do what he enjoys, period. He has made himself to have that capability, in a capacity not many others can equal in comparison.

47. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

He's in the wrong business top not have thick skin. Shame..all he has to do is release a nice HD copy of the unaltered films to make fans happy, but he'd rather retire than satisfy the fans he created.

He should realize it was his hunger and drive that created Star Wars..and some new blood brought in to direct/ write could sure have helped bring that 'edge' back. He could produce, consult..whatever..but he's become what he struggled against in his youth..an in flexible corporation. Shame.

48. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh, get over yourself. You would inflict the godawfulness of another three latter-day Star Wars movies on the world but it's US who are the inconsiderate and selfish ones? Gahhh! And it WOULD be another three, you know they only come in trilogies. Seven and a half hours of godawful, godawful crapola. And you think we should welcome that prospect.

Now, obviously, we don't have to go see them. And I wouldn't, I absolutely would not. But how am I going to avoid seeing the trailers, the random clips on Youtube, the stilted exchanges of dialogue, the sub-par production design, the crappy merchandising everywhere, etc? Some of that stuff would be around for the rest of my life. And it's gonna be like fingernails on a blackboard. So, who is the inconsiderate and selfish one again? I'll argue you suffer less from the world forgoing three more ****ty films than we would suffer from the world NOT forgoing them.

Get outta town. Star Wars and Empire are brilliant films. And if all three prequels were only as good as Jedi, they wouldn't rate the hatred they get.

Think about that. Expectations weren't that high. George only had to make movies as good as the Ewok one from the OT. And he couldn't.

Since I find the PTs actually unbearable, that's an easy AWW HELLZ NAWWW.

49. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

With him stepping out, perhaps there is a chance the original unedited SW could see the light of day in a modern format.

I do have an image of a LFL board meeting with a very old GL, ranting an raving about, "THAT FILM".
    Board members saying, "yes George, what ever you want."

"He does that every meeting, we released the original SW years ago."
    "We tell him that we keep making his requested changes."
    "Last time he wanted to change Luke into a little girl from Kansas."
    "We just showed the Wizard of Oz, he said he was so happy we left in the Ewoks."

50. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

This did provide TPM with a good line for 3P0 - some putdown about 'that JarJar creature' iirc.