Lucas to retire?

So he DOES hear our complaining. That's something.

And the lack of consideration and tact with those complaints has -- according to this article -- affected his decision to not make any more Star Wars movies. Thanks.

Now I have to wait until he dies before we can have more big-screen Star Wars stories. In part because of the rampant stupidity and lack of consideration shown by fans with a entitlement complex. Great.

And the lack of consideration and tact with those complaints has -- according to this article -- affected his decision to not make any more Star Wars movies. Thanks.

Now I have to wait until he dies before we can have more big-screen Star Wars stories. In part because of the rampant stupidity and lack of consideration shown by fans with a entitlement complex. Great.

Truth!

It's a hard business to be in if you don't have a thick skin. If you can't take the criticism then retiring from making blockbusters may be the best thing to do. I hope he sticks with his plan and makes some movies that are more personal to him. He certainly doesn't need the money and smaller movies would probably be far more gratifying as a director.

Whether the prequels were criticized unfairly or not depends on what kind of fan you consider yourself and whether or not you are content to accept any level of quality as long as it has the name Star Wars attached to it. I myself have no desire to see anymore Star Wars but I know there's many people who would love to see more. To each their own.

It's too bad Lucas was given such a hard time with Red Tails, it looks like an entertaining movie that I will check out in the theaters. I think the studios could have shown him a lot more courtesy with regards to this.

Lucas Re-tiring ........... Again !!!

Just read this article about lucas re-tiring again ive copied and pasted for your attention

George Lucas is ready to retire, again. Though he previously threatened retirement before launching into the Star Wars prequels, the directors 20-year passion projectRED TAILS is finally hitting theaters this month, and with that Lucas says he’s basically done:
“I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”
That “stuff” would be blockbusters, and Lucas seems to be taking a page out of Francis Ford Coppola’s book and says he’s ready to move on to more personal material. Hit the jump for more, including what Lucas had to say to critics of his Star Wars tampering.
Steve recently sat down with producer Rick McCallum, who produced not only Red Tails with Lucas but also the three Star Wars prequels. McCallum echoed Lucas’ retirement statements, saying Red Tails is the final long-gestating project that the Star Wars director had planned:
Red Tails is the last of all the FILMS that he ever said [he wanted to make]. He started 23 years ago on Red Tails and now he has fulfilled everything he set out to do, which no…very few filmmakers ever get an opportunity to do. He’s done everything that he actually wanted and planned to do, including more American Graffiti, including the revised version of [THX]. He got to be able to do everything that he actually wanted to do.”
So what does this “retirement” hold for Lucas’ future? McCallum says that Lucas will be taking a break, after which McCallum hopes he’ll move on to the smaller,independent movies that he’s always wanted to return to:
“Now, with [Red Tails] completed, a little bit of rest, now I think he can set upon the next chapter of his life and figure out, ‘Okay, do I have a new set of films, a new kind of films that I want to do?’ And that’s what we hope and wait anxiously to hear from him on.”
Lucas’ “retiring” quote comes from an extensive profile of the filmmaker in the NY TIMES , in which he talks about the hardships of actually getting Red Tails made and distributed. He concedes that after looking at a three-part epic script that tackled the training of the Tuskegee airmen, the dogfights over Europe, and the racist atmosphere the airmen returned to after the war, Lucas realized he couldn’t make the Lawrence of Arabia version:
“I can’t make that movie. I’m going to have make this kind of . . . entertainment movie.”
Red Tails merely focuses on the middle part of the story; the one with all the action. The piece notes that Lucas has left himself an out clause for a fifth Indiana Jones film, but for the forseeable future he seems to be done writing, producing, or directing big-budget flicks. No Lucas interview would be complete without Star Wars talk, and the director had some choice words for fanboys:
“On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’”
Regarding the possibility of any future Star Wars movies, Lucas was incredibly blunt:
“Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”
As many have said before, I’d be fine with Lucas making all the changes to Star Wars he wants if he would just make available the original versions with zero edits. Nevertheless, it sounds like we may or may not get some Lucas indies in the future. Regardless of my personal opinion of Lucas, I’m intrigued to see what kind of small-budget independent MOVIES he’ll roll out.

Re: Lucas Re-tiring ........... Again !!!

Interesting. Particularly the man's confusion over our complaints. Make all the changes you want George, they ARE your movies after all, just don't dispose of the films we love (and that made you incidentally) in the process.

I don't know anything about how "we're" changing the films, so I won't speak to that.

Enjoy your retirement George, you've earned it.

HOLY CRAP :lol:lol:lol:lol

This actually doesn't count as being JEDIFYED that post wasnt there while i was typing mine so it's classed as void :lol

Im a WOLVERINE can i be let off please

No way!!!!! It was there an hour and a half before and it's my first official Jedifyfe so it has to count!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

...As many have said before, I’d be fine with Lucas making all the changes to Star Wars he wants if he would just make available the original versions with zero edits...
That's what I've said, and I never said he was a terrible person! Make all the changes you want George, just give us the untouched originals in HD and I'll be ecstatically happy. I'd buy the whole CGId retconned saga just to get that!

That's what I've said, and I never said he was a terrible person! Make all the changes you want George, just give us the untouched originals in HD and I'll be ecstatically happy. I'd buy the whole CGId retconned saga just to get that!

Yes! I'll buy the changed versions, but can we either just get the originals or retouched minus the SE stuff? I don't even have a problem with the SE, just the newest stuff.

It's disappointing that no studios thought Red Tails was a good idea.

sorry george i have no sympathy for you. you altered the OT, you were singularly responsible for the prequels. you surrounded yourself with yesmen. its all you brotha. take some responsibility.

sorry george i have no sympathy for you. you altered the OT, you were singularly responsible for the prequels. you surrounded yourself with yesmen. its all you brotha. take some responsibility.

I'm feeling this ay too. I don't mind the 1990s reworked OT as I had it on vhs and went to see it but I'd also love the untouched OT released. His yesmen must be hiding the fact that it's what folks want from him.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back