Lindelof Star Wars film

Sadly, still an active project, it seems

Not gonna happen. Disney-Lucasfilm hemorrhaging money, a long history of troubled productions and directors quitting/being fired, and STAR WARS itself devolving from the most-beloved movie franchise in history to a series of mediocre streaming shows, etc. One project after another has been swept under the rug. Dead. Franchise.

What i'd read is that the project is set post ST. Though they didn't say how far, the inference was it would have ST characters which, to me, just shows they don't get it. FWIW, i'm emphatically NOT saying to go with OT or Mando era characters. I'm very much a fan of hundreds of years out either pre PT or post ST. No connection to anything. Just space, good guys and bad guys. I don't know if it's the arrogance of 'we made these characters and we want to keep them going' or the delusion that they think everyone thought the ST was great, but just didn't buy tickets because of the toxic whiners. Regardless trying to do an Episode X tying to the ST just shows they don't get it.

I wonder...was Lindelof's script that bad or was Disney's micromanagement too overbearing for even a fanboy like him. Judging by the past 10 years, I'd guess it's easily both.

who-couldve-seen-that-coming-sarcastic.gif

Well, *now* I kinda want to read it...

Last edited:
It’s “Disney Star Wars”…of course the project fell apart.

The aimless mismanagement of this franchise is just comical.

Screaming Star Wars GIF

My favorite part is that I said he’d be gone, just a few days ago. I love being right all the time. Between this and Victoria Alonso being canned, this week has been full of win.

The illusion that this franchise hasn’t been run into the ground and that the people running it into the ground aren’t clueless dolts cannot be maintained forever. The money is drying up, and we’re finally seeing that illusion fall apart. One disaster after another, and the rats fleeing the sinking ship.

My favorite part is that I said he’d be gone, just a few days ago. I love being right all the time. Between this and Victoria Alonso being canned, this week has been full of win.

The illusion that this franchise hasn’t been run into the ground and that the people running it into the ground aren’t clueless dolts cannot be maintained forever. The money is drying up, and we’re finally seeing that illusion fall apart. One disaster after another, and the rats fleeing the sinking ship.
Sadly, this franchise is smoking death sticks and needs to go home and rethink its' life...

Sadly, this franchise is smoking death sticks and needs to go home and rethink its' life...

I knew it was over on October 30, 2012. The body continues to twitch.

I just had no idea that all of my worst fears for the franchise--and more--would come true. This is one for the history books.

And I eagerly await the books to be written which will analyze the trainwreck.

I knew it was over on October 30, 2012. The body continues to twitch.

I just had no idea that all of my worst fears for the franchise--and more--would come true. This is one for the history books.

And I eagerly await the books to be written which will analyze the trainwreck.
Yeah...that's going to be one heartbreak of a post mortem.

Yeah...that's going to be one heartbreak of a post mortem.

But necessary one. There are a great many lessons to be learned from the past few years in regards to sociology, culture, film studies, and the movie business. This is How To Kill a Franchise 101, and film scholars and students will be studying it for years to come. The most beloved franchise in film history reduced to a series of mediocre streaming shows, unsold merchandise, and failed ancillaries within just a few years.

There's never been anything like this in the history of cinema. From the absolute peak of success and cultural impact to the absolute depths of failure and cultural division. All thanks to good 'ol corporatism, sociopolitical ideology, greed, and sheer incompetence.

The sad irony of Lucasfilm -a company born from one man's desire to buck the studio system in Hollywood- now becoming an assembly line asset in a gigantic conglomerate is a tragic chapter in the history of cinema.

God I wish George had never sold to the mouse. I don't know why his kids didn't want to take over (assuming he offered it to them). I would've if I were one of them, if for anything just to protect my father's legacy and keep alive and independent this company that made such an important impact.

The sad irony of Lucasfilm -a company born from one man's desire to buck the studio system in Hollywood- now becoming an assembly line asset in a gigantic conglomerate is a tragic chapter in the history of cinema.

God I wish George had never sold to the mouse. I don't know why his kids didn't want to take over (assuming he offered it to them). I would've if I were one of them, if for anything just to protect my father's legacy and keep alive and independent this company that made such an important impact.

This is the best thing that could have happened. There is now a firm dividing line between Lucas Era and Disney Era.

People will see that contrast. Lucas and his films will be studied and loved forever, while Disney's will fade into the mists of history.

Lucas' legacy has been secured by Disney's utter failure. Which might not have happened, if he hadn't sold it.

Well….

Truth be told, I believe that some of the very fans who are now lamenting that Lucas ever sold the franchise to Disney were the same ones that helped to push him to sell it in the first place.

The man had taken over a decade of slings and arrows from the fans since The Special Editions.

For a trip down memory lane, re-read the threads that announced the sale to Disney and the attitude that fans expressed at the time.

05327A52-5596-4B1C-8221-EB8E1AC0DE6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Well….

Truth be told, I believe that some of the very fans who are now lamenting that Lucas ever sold the franchise to Disney were the same ones that helped to push him to sell it in the first place.

The man had taken over a decade of slings and arrows from the fans since The Special Editions.

For a trip down memory lane, re-read the threads that announced the sale to Disney and the attitude that fans expressed at the time.

View attachment 1681977
Oh man, that was embarrassing. Not the documentary itself but the "fans" that appeared in it. Imagine being that upset because you didn't like the prequels or the changes in The Special Editions. I have my feelings on them as well but to take it as personally as so many did is insane. Lucas made them the way he wanted. Maybe you liked them, maybe you didn't. At least they were based on his vision and not a committee venture based on marketing analysis and formulaic creative methods.

I don't blame George either for feeling unappreciated and wanting to cash out. I do remember the sentiment of that time after he sold and it was mostly positive. Myself, I was saddened by it for the reasons I stated above plus I wasn't keen on more Star Wars movies anyway but, I do admit the one consolation was I thought we'd get a remastered OT (which at this point I wouldn't buy from Disney even if they did issue one), My one and only criticism of George himself was his decision to bury the unaltered original trilogy. Beyond that, if he wants the The Special Editions to be the "definitive" versions, fine. They're his movies. Just allow us the choice is all. I think we fans do indeed deserve at least that. However, if you don't want to preserve them for us, at least preserve them for the groundbreaking work of the special effects teams as well as the work of the actors whose contributions were removed for The Special Editions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back