Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

I am glad to see you opening a window, maruska! :) There is a place of honor for the "old-schoolers", and they deserve the highest level of respect for their dedication and efforts. But there IS a modeling revolution beginning, similar to the beginning of the electronic age... I think it is just as important to explore these new methods as it is to preserve the old ways. So never allow yourself to be dissuaded by those who are un-willing to addapt and colaborate. And you don't need anyone to give you anything... all the kit ID's there are, to date, are on the net somwhere. You may just need to join a few more forums to access them. Good luck with your project.
( In a few years, when I am ready to build a falcon I would be happy to buy your 3-D printed reproductions for $?,???.?? than pay $10,000. for a bunch of kits, only to destroy them for one model. )

I've just started clicking through this thread, and without sounding like I'm shamelessly plugging my own thread (which is here, fwiw) - I'm working on a project to fully digitize all the parts required to make the Falcon - especially the rarer ones.

Once in CAD form, any of the parts can be printed or machined at any scale. Want a 5' falcon at 32" scale? Easy.

Full scale? Crazy - but plausible.

I'm currently creating the full scale interior set pieces (at full scale - but with the intent of fabricating them in miniature) and will be eventually moving on to exterior bits.

I'm looking for collaborators, or people that have access to kit parts. Just thought I'd share.

... And thanks for all the great part identification here - it helps a lot!

I like your idea, however, I think going after all the vintage-out of production kits would be the best route. This way, the parts would be available to those that need them for their builds. Just my two cents.

Hmmm, I'm at a certain age, ahem, that will still have the ' I'll do it the old ILM way, with an armature built from the more traditional materials & original kit parts added for detailing'. That's fine at the moment & the foreseeable future, but eventually the donor kits, especially the rarer ones, will run out & start to not even appear available, even after years of waiting/looking. Heck, even now some kits just do not come up, they have probably become 'extinct' to put a word on it!.

On the flip side to what maruska is offering, which I'm all for & I guess he's trying to get across is, to have an inventory of printed parts that will be around forever, to give folks the chance, say in 50 years away, to build a 32" or 5' Falcon for themselves.

I myself prefer the actual kit part to use as opposed to even a cast, but even today it is just not viable to do so on a limited budget. I have a ton of duplicate kits just so I can use the'actual plastic'.
But, even ILM, cast/injection molded parts too, as they had a budget as well.

Sorry for derailing this thread Nick, need to put more actual ID's in here real soon mate!.
Stu

Last edited:
Brilliant! Are you still working on it? Is is it done?

J.

i'd say i'm about 40% done with the kit parts (its one of those projects i work on a day or two every 2-3 months)

on a related note i've become fascinated with this x-wing:
3D Incom Corporation's T-65 X-Wing Fighter
he's creating it in Inventor, a cadcam app thats a little bit of autocad and max.

and as for "the old ILM way" i hope it never dies! i have the greatest respect for what is showcased here, its just as fascinating to watch the process as it is to enjoy the final product :)

That X wing is very cool and well done. I'd love to see him finish it.

I'm very familiar with Inventor - I'm doing a lot of my stuff in either SolidWorks (like Inventor) and Alias (automotive surfacing).

I don't think the ILM way will ever die. Which is why I don't plan on doing full greeble assemblies - just kit parts.

Ok. Enough thread hijacking...

OK, back to IDs. This is my first post. Hopefully these attachments go through.Has anyone found the airplane wing right above the Centurion Hull? Monogram 1/72 Curtiss P40N seems like a dead ringer. Monogram P40N.jpgIMG_3310.JPGIMG_3312.JPGIMG_3270.JPG

Monogram P40N.jpg

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the RPF & the SS forum mate.
Awesome first post, a great find, Iv'e been looking forever for that part. Always knew it was an aircraft wing, probably 1/72nd, but from what.
I'll check pics later to confirm, I'm on my phone at the mo, but yeah, looks good to me.
Many thanks for chiming in.
Stu

sorry to drum up old business guys.But this has been bothering me for ages.I thought I would find out this id with new pix but its still a mystery to me!
and its right in front of the jaw like a mole lol.Does anyone know what this id is or have a clear pic of the part?It obviously fell off ages ago but there has to be some reference on it somewhere.Thanks for looking

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g224/faustus100/lostit_zps82c01603.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g224/faustus100/lostit4_zps80815f52.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing! I just don't have a clear enough pic. I'll bet it's something really simple
to id. Does anyone have a clearer pic?

I'm working on this section right now, I have a hunch what it is, will check it out & let you know.
Sometimes the clustering of parts from one particular donor kit comes up trumps, or going through all the kits used on this section & looking hard at ref to compare what is in these kits. Of course a lot of the time, only one part was placed in a section from a random, rare as hell kit, just to tick us off completely!
I'm sure you've done all this anyhoo Wayne.
Stu

I'm working on this section right now, I have a hunch what it is, will check it out & let you know.
Sometimes the clustering of parts from one particular donor kit comes up trumps, or going through all the kits used on this section & looking hard at ref to compare what is in these kits. Of course a lot of the time, only one part was placed in a section from a random, rare as hell kit, just to tick us off completely!
I'm sure you've done all this anyhoo Wayne.
Stu

Yeah Stu- that's the problem! I know how they sometimes do the random thing lol.
If we just had a clear pic! Sometimes it even looks like more than 1 part to me. Just
When I say to myself " oh THATS what it is" I then say no it's not. You said you have
your suspicions,what are your thoughts?
Wayne

Does anyone have this id? I had it before my old computer crashed! It's the last one I need for my dish. Thanks guys

I've never seen that on the dish before. Did you document the parts I'm asking about? I don't see them on the parts map! Can I ask you for the id?

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, I don't have any of my reference accessible, but isn't that the large radar dish model that was made for the close up shots for the film?

It's from a screen grab actually. I'd like to see the whole part tho. Pretty hard to Id it just by seeing its top.
It actually may be a part behind a part.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back