Katniss Wedding Gown, from The Hunger Games

EvilOverlord

Starting a fun project.

Last week, I went on facebook and BEGGED for someone to give me an excuse to make the Katniss wedding gown. One of my friends mentioned wanting it for her 11 year old daughter, one thing led to another, and Saturday morning we went fabric shopping. The daughter had NO idea what was happening, as we decided to surprise her at the fabric store. (We took video of the occasion, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SysNUbHZVTg)

So, yesterday I made the crinoline. Figured I'd start a thread here, because this is going to be an INSANE one to make - we're going for accuracy in the design!

Here are the first few photos:

. Progress1.jpgProgress2.jpgProgress3.jpgProgress4.jpgProgress5.jpgProgress6.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but the crinoline isn't separated/fluffed out in these pics.

Progress8.jpgProgress9.jpgProgress10.jpgProgress11.jpgProgress12.jpgProgress13.jpg

Some photos from this morning's progress.

1. Got the main skirt pieces designed and cut out - there will be 13 of them.
2. Got 15 yards of extra wide tulle cut down to 2" strips
3. Sewed the 4 rows of tulle to one of the circles. Pinned it up to see how it looks.

The photos don't do it justice at all - hard to see all of the tulle ruffles in the pic. The 300 yards of ribbon (!!!) is supposed to arrive on Thursday, and THEN the fun really starts!

KatnissFinished.jpg

Well, I finished the gown today! 600 crystals, about 1 lb of Instamorph, hundreds of yards of ruffles, 250 yards of ribbon.... and a TON of work. I'm super happy with it!

We did a lighting test shoot tonight, in preparation for a full hair and makeup shoot with Mini Katniss tomorrow. So excited! This is my favourite photo from the lighting test.

So, so beautiful! It sure beats the garage sale rejects I used to play dress-up when I was little. What a lucky kid!

Gorgeous! And yep, wrestled that many yards of tulle for a couple of gown supports so yes, very much aware of the work involved. Very nice :)

Gorgeous! What type of material did you use for the base?

The skirt is all crinoline (base) with layers of organza and the ruffles are tulle. The bodice is a matte satin.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks AMAZING. I wish I could do stuff like that.

Thank you!

It's all actually really straightforward sewing, just a LOT of it!

- - - Updated - - -

Gorgeous! And yep, wrestled that many yards of tulle for a couple of gown supports so yes, very much aware of the work involved. Very nice :)

I'm doing Effie's lavender "President's party" dress next. OMG.

We did a small studio shoot with the dress. It was SO much fun - she was trying to keep her face serious like the source material photos, but was almost bouncing out of her own skin with joy. Also with the desire to spin in it - was very hard to get her to stand still!

IMG_7826_web.jpg

IMG_7885_web.jpg

In 3 weeks, we're doing a shoot at a local hotel that looks very "Capitol". I made a Caesar costume for my husband - she has no idea he's going to show up looking like THIS:

Caesar2.jpg

She's going to lose it. I *cannot* wait!

This is AMAZING and so timely, because I have a ten-year-old daughter who asked me to make this dress for her, and I have been scratching my head as to how to go about it. (I am crafty, but not an expert seamstress.) Would you be willing to share how you came up with the pattern pieces for the skirt? Are they just organza circles, with the ruffles sewn on concentrically? Did you sew the ruffles onto the layers, and then add the ribbon on top? Any advice you can give would be so appreciated; I can't imagine how you could have done a more effective job. It's just spectacular.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back