Katniss Wedding Gown, from The Hunger Games

Thanks everyone!

So, I replied to the construction questions in message, but figure I'll post it here too, for anyone interested:

Basically, for Mini Katniss, I made 13 big circles of the base skirt fabric (I used organza). I folded the fabric over itself and cut circles that had the diameter be almost 60" wide - whatever the width of the fabric is. Yeah, there will be waste.. In the center of that circle, I but another circle with varying diamters, between 8-12". Cut a slit from the outside of the skirt to that insane edge, and you have 1 circle ruffle.

On each of those, I sewed the main ruffle. After playing around with it, I found that cutting ALL my fabric into 2" strips and sewing them together up on long side worked best. I staggered the ends. Basically sewed halfway up one strip, laid another on top it at that point, sewed the two together until the first strip ran out, added a new on on top, so on... until I was finished sewing all of it together. I used 15 yards of extra wide tulle. As I was sewing, I was ruffling them - I had to do it manually, if you have a ruffler, that would be better. IMHO, would have been worth the $50 to order one at the time, I just didn't have the patience to wait for it!

Then what I did was sew satin ribbon to that sewn edge. Used a straight stitch, and positioned it to cover the seam. Then I went back and did the same with a second strip of riibbon up the back. I recommend ordering the satin ribbon, single face, from papermart - you'll need a LOT.

Anyway, I just did the one seam up both sides, on the edge just under the same (IE between the original seam, and the rest of the tulle ruffle). As I sewed the ribbon/ruffle to the organza circles, I did it with a straight stitch on the OUTER edge of the ribbon only - going through both layers to secure it all down.

Folding it over would be time consuming, and also would not allow for staggering the ends - wouldn't want them to look obvious. As for the two ribbons, it completely contained that sewn edge of tulle and makes it look much cleaner - you can see it through the organza.

Anyway, once you've got all your circles ribboned/ruffled up, take two and sew them to a regular base full skirt, so that their bottom/outer edge of the circles is at your needed hem length. Then you'll want to pin up remaining circles kind of randomly - somr around, some curving up, etc, to allow for the cascading effect.

Does this help?

Love love love her reaction in the photoshoot!! She's absolutely adorable... This was a huge help for tackling my wedding dress. Though I have a rather off question...

Has she fallen in it yet? Specifically, how well does all of that fabric/crinoline collapse in the skirt? I imagine she's in it all the time!

I'm most interested in how the metal cage work was constructed on the bodice using Instamorph. I've never worked with this product and I need to make the dress for an awards ceremony in mid-August <gulp>. I'll be hacking a wedding dress and adding these components. Did you create two pieces? Does this stuff roll out like dough? Did you form it on wire first? I'm not even sure how you were able to cut it so precisely. My first instinct is to attack with a lasercutter. :) Finally, how did you fasten the pieces to the dress? Thanks for any helpful hints. I'm in love with this look and your costume is amazing.

Here's my version of the Katniss Wedding Dress -- LEDs light up under the skirt when you spin. I used a gyrosensor and NeoPixel LED strips.. I had about 10 days to make it, so I had to hack an existing wedding dress that I purchased on the cheap from Ebay. For more details on how I made it, check my post on Adafruit. I had to use foam core for the wings, which is nice and safe, but it never became stiff enough for my liking. I heard fabric backing would have helped this. In any case, I still hope to have a real metal bodice piece some day :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Instamorph makes a kind of putty, so I'd stretch it out into long strings and lay it out to form the cage. Then once it was all there, I went over the whole thing with a heat gun to secure all of the intersections.

I sewed a few ribbons onto the bodice, and used them to tie it on. Yes, was two piece.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back