IT FITS! IT FITS!!! Wooohoooooo!!!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Romans Empire, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First of all, I would like to express my deepest thanks to Scott (starwrslover) for lending me his real ANM2 booster. He didn't even ask for cash or anything in return. HA. Well, he's crazy if thinks I'm not repaying him for this favor... :p Thanks again, Scott.

Okay, now for more good news. I was a bit concerned when discussion of the inner ribs on my replica sink knobs came up. I knew a real booster would fit, but I wasn't sure if it would sit at the correct depth without assistance (rubber washer, tape, etc).

Anyhow, the good news is that the booster fits my replica perfectly... It stops just where it's supposed to stop. :thumbsup

So those wondering no longer need to wonder. It's a perfect match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Banquo Fett

Banquo Fett Well-Known Member

Cool Roman

Now, will you be replicating the booster? I'm hoping to do a one-stop-shop with you.

3. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

I notice it's a little off-kilter in the photo, will one need to shim it for a tight fit?

4. Romans Empire

Looks pretty straight to me. Although the pic was taken a bit "off-kilter". :D
    No shim needed. Just insert, adjust & assemble everything else. I guess a shim wouldn't hurt, but once you tighten all the parts together it won't move at all.
    However, a big glob of glue might make it more accurate.... ;)

5. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

:lol nice pic switch Roman. ;)

6. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

Terrific news Roman. Thanks for the update..

~Dave

7. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

what is that thing a gear???

JK

sweet, yeah... cant wait till the one stop shop is an option...

always a pleasure to see your progress towards this Roman...

so glad ive waited on all this to come about, ive had several chances to buy different versions of this saber... that would have been a waste of money.

now we have the real deal...

:cheers

8. Romans Empire

Thanks guys.

Glad to see you over here, Dave. :)

9. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

are you planning aluminum Roman? I look forward to it.

10. Banquo Fett

Banquo Fett Well-Known Member

11. g-force

g-force New Member

If you make the hole in the end of the booster that mates to the handwheel the same diameter as the threaded rod, it should center itself up real nice.

-G

12. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but someone has the following link in their sig and I believe it is you G-Force:

ftp://goodcommies.com/DSC_6891.jpg

Every time I refresh I get a login dialogue for that ftp server.

13. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

I've been holding off even thinking about getting an Obi-Wan saber until everything was positively identifed so I would only have to make one. Fantastic to see that I should soon be able to get everything needed from one source...if I submit to temptation that is.

14. Dewy

Dewy Well-Known Member

ROMAN YOU'RE MY HERO....

(And anyone who lends him a flange pipe (real emitter) would also be my hero.)

15. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

same here, ordered the knob from roman the second he got the accurate one duplicated, and i will do the same with this item as well,

im really glad i decided to wait it out for all the real parts to show up, was a long wait though :p

16. Romans Empire

The inside of the sink knob is threaded, so it will be the same as before. The booster should be fairly secure between the pommel & spacer, but one can always use a $0.10 washer inside the booster to center it effortlessly. :)

17. amish

amish Sr Member

I smell trouble... For my bank account :)

18. g-force

g-force New Member

Sorry. I removed it. I should have known that wouldn't work. Thanks for letting me know.

-G

19. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

I pretty much want to shop with Roman for a self-build ANH OWK once I've got the cash...

(I've got an Icons OWK but I still want to build an OWK that I could handle or wear with a costume. Something about putting together a replica myself is intriguing.)

BTW, where DOES one get the threaded rod needed to hold the saber together? Is it a Lowe's, Home Depot, or customized rod you have to get made? Who actually sells something like that?

Everything else besides the bubble strip I know I can get through Roman...

20. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

The htreaded rod is available at any hardware store. You get 5 feet for like 3 bucks or so. 3/8 threaded rod works. Some places call it "Ready Rod"

Nice work there Roman. I have built this saber a couple times but now to have dead on accurate parts, I'm gonna have to do it again...
    When are you getting your paws on an emitter??

21. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

If Roman doesn't get one himself, he'll get detailed specs from me at a certain point. :)

Although knowing Roman he'll have them sooner than that. ;)

22. Romans Empire

Well, if I come across an extra 3K laying around... I'll probably get the specs before then. Let me go check my couch... :p ;)

Nope... looks like you're my only hope. :D

23. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what length should I have it cut at? I'm looking forward to putting one of these together in the near future.

24. Romans Empire

It depends on the sink knob you use. If you’re using a solid sink knob you’re looking at a rod about 9.25” in length. If you’re using a new (hollow) sink knob you’re looking at a rod about 10” in length.

Hope that helps.

25. tk421mv7

I'll be using one of your brand-new knobs, so 10" should do it, right? Thanks.

26. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Roman, I love you so much that I oughta kiss you.

All jokes aside... Everything looks very promising. :) Can't wait to see more progress.

27. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

Thanks to Roman and TDD for the replies on the rod question.

This forum is a MUCH nicer place to browse and ask questions on than many other forums I frequent.

The Internet IS a hive of scum and villainy that likes to B.T@H but it's nice to see I can still get onto one site and ask innocent questions without getting my head bitten off... :lol :thumbsup

28. Romans Empire

No problem. It was a good question that should help others as well. :)

Yup, 10" will work perfectly. :)

29. jordankarr

jordankarr Well-Known Member

Well ok now I guess I can put off doing this saber no longer. keep us up to date when we can pick up these parts. I want to do a one stop shop for this saber and well I know where my moneys going.

30. MikeyX

MikeyX Well-Known Member

Fantastic news on the booster.

I'm already in on a group order now that all the parts have been identified - and this allays one of my fears.

Thanks Roman.

31. starwrslover

starwrslover Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Consider it my Christmas present tp the RPF. Now we can all get one at a reasonable price....

Scott

32. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks awesome Roman. Thank's for showing us.

33. Romans Empire

And maybe even IN TIME for Christmas (fingers crossed). :D

34. starwrslover

starwrslover Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That would be cool.
    Scott

35. tk421mv7

I went to Lowes... they had the rod. The *$$*@#* refused to cut it for me though. Hopefully Home Depot will come through...

36. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Sometimes it's just timing and who's around the store. Some guys will do stuff for you even when they're not supposed to.

On the other hand, maybe you ought to have a hacksaw around the place or a dremel tool or something anyway... ;)

37. Jedi_Dogs

Jedi_Dogs New Member

My Lowes has the 3/8-16 rods in 12" sections for $1.08. Granted you will still have to cut it to length.

38. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

What is the exact length we need?

39. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Um, read the thread? ;)

40. tk421mv7

The rod I found was at least 20' long... I couldn't even get it into my car. I didn't see any shorter lengths available.

Of course I have a dremel... wouldn't cut down those wood grips without one. :p

41. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

:confused :confused :confused

I swear I'm usually not that spacy - chalk it up to it being finals time (oh, the life of a law student...) and the fact that the NYC MTA workers are on the verge of striking...

Thanks guys

~Dave

42. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can also find 3/8-16 rods in auto parts stores in 12" legnths, I found some at my local NAPA. They are used in engine build-ups and such.

43. tk421mv7

Sweet. Thanks, I'll check there as well.

44. tk421mv7

Cool, I'm all set.

I tried Home Depot this time and it was a totally different experience from Lowes. Somebody who was actually helpful pointed me in the direction of the shorter threaded rods in Hardware (I had been looking at the 20' ones in the Electrical section). While I do plead ignorance, after all I HAD found 3/8 threaded rod, it still doesn't excuse the behavior of the guy at Lowes... which I didn't get into but believe me when I tell you he was a jerk from the start.

Anyway, I picked up a 24" piece so I could cut two rods in case I either screw up or eventually build two sabers. :) I also remembered to pick up a couple of 3/8 nuts to clean up the threads *after* I cut it...

45. Romans Empire

One could always pick up a 4' rod and assemble your saber with that. Think about it. The extra 3' coming out through the emitter... it could be a dueling saber. ;)

46. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

I actually thought about that looking at the 2" that sticks out of the pieces I have now....but then I figured it might be a tad on the heavy side.

47. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

...and bendy... :)