IT FITS! IT FITS!!! Wooohoooooo!!!!

Romans Empire

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First of all, I would like to express my deepest thanks to Scott (starwrslover) for lending me his real ANM2 booster. He didn't even ask for cash or anything in return. HA. Well, he's crazy if thinks I'm not repaying him for this favor... :p Thanks again, Scott.

Okay, now for more good news. I was a bit concerned when discussion of the inner ribs on my replica sink knobs came up. I knew a real booster would fit, but I wasn't sure if it would sit at the correct depth without assistance (rubber washer, tape, etc).

Anyhow, the good news is that the booster fits my replica perfectly... It stops just where it's supposed to stop. :thumbsup

So those wondering no longer need to wonder. It's a perfect match.

BoosterFit.JPG

BoosterFit1.JPG

BoosterFit2.JPG

Originally posted by Avalon X+Dec 2 2005, 08:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avalon X @ Dec 2 2005, 08:47 PM)</div>
Cool Roman

Now, will you be replicating the booster? I'm hoping to do a one-stop-shop with you.
[snapback]1127081[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yep :D

<!--QuoteBegin-Serafino
@Dec 2 2005, 08:57 PM
I notice it's a little off-kilter in the photo, will one need to shim it for a tight fit?
[snapback]1127089[/snapback]​

Looks pretty straight to me. Although the pic was taken a bit "off-kilter". :D
No shim needed. Just insert, adjust & assemble everything else. I guess a shim wouldn't hurt, but once you tighten all the parts together it won't move at all.
However, a big glob of glue might make it more accurate.... ;)

what is that thing a gear???

JK

sweet, yeah... cant wait till the one stop shop is an option...

always a pleasure to see your progress towards this Roman...

so glad ive waited on all this to come about, ive had several chances to buy different versions of this saber... that would have been a waste of money.

now we have the real deal...

:cheers

Cool Roman

Now, will you be replicating the booster? I'm hoping to do a one-stop-shop with you.

guess I could ask this question once you begin churning them out, but how would the whole saber hold together (assuming one uses your core under the clamp)?

And... Someone step up and give Roman a real emitter too so we all can get going on this :D

Originally posted by Avalon X+Dec 2 2005, 08:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avalon X @ Dec 2 2005, 08:47 PM)</div>
And... Someone step up and give Roman a real emitter too so we all can get going on this  :D
[snapback]1127126[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes. Somebody please.

<!--QuoteBegin-Romans Empire
@Dec 2 2005, 09:05 PM
I guess a shim wouldn't hurt, but once you tighten all the parts together it won't move at all.
[snapback]1127094[/snapback]​

If you make the hole in the end of the booster that mates to the handwheel the same diameter as the threaded rod, it should center itself up real nice.

-G

I've been holding off even thinking about getting an Obi-Wan saber until everything was positively identifed so I would only have to make one. Fantastic to see that I should soon be able to get everything needed from one source...if I submit to temptation that is.

ROMAN YOU'RE MY HERO....

(And anyone who lends him a flange pipe (real emitter) would also be my hero.)

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib@Dec 2 2005, 10:49 PM
I've been holding off even thinking about getting an Obi-Wan saber until everything was positively identifed so I would only have to make one. 
[snapback]1127184[/snapback]​

same here, ordered the knob from roman the second he got the accurate one duplicated, and i will do the same with this item as well,

im really glad i decided to wait it out for all the real parts to show up, was a long wait though :p

Originally posted by Polluxius+Dec 2 2005, 09:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Polluxius @ Dec 2 2005, 09:32 PM)</div>
are you planning aluminum Roman?  I look forward to it.
[snapback]1127112[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes, aluminum. I'll be making custom cutting tools and steel would just tear them apart faster than aluminum. With aluminum we'll need about two cutters. With steel we'll need 8-12 cutters. At about $100 each... I think aluminum is the way to go. As always. :)

<!--QuoteBegin-Avalon X
@Dec 2 2005, 09:46 PM
... how would the whole saber hold together (assuming one uses your core under the clamp)?
[snapback]1127126[/snapback]​

The inside of the sink knob is threaded, so it will be the same as before. The booster should be fairly secure between the pommel & spacer, but one can always use a $0.10 washer inside the booster to center it effortlessly. :)

Originally posted by darthgoat@Dec 2 2005, 10:47 PM
Not to hijack the thread but someone has the following link in their sig and I believe it is you G-Force:

ftp://goodcommies.com/DSC_6891.jpg

Every time I refresh I get a login dialogue for that ftp server.
[snapback]1127180[/snapback]​

Sorry. I removed it. I should have known that wouldn't work. Thanks for letting me know.

-G

Originally posted by Romans Empire+Dec 2 2005, 05:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Romans Empire @ Dec 2 2005, 05:05 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Avalon X@Dec 2 2005, 08:47 PM
Cool Roman

<!--QuoteBegin-Serafino
@Dec 2 2005, 08:57 PM
I notice it's a little off-kilter in the photo, will one need to shim it for a tight fit?
[snapback]1127089[/snapback]​

Looks pretty straight to me. Although the pic was taken a bit "off-kilter". :D
No shim needed. Just insert, adjust & assemble everything else. I guess a shim wouldn't hurt, but once you tighten all the parts together it won't move at all.
However, a big glob of glue might make it more accurate.... ;)
[snapback]1127094[/snapback]​
[/b]

I pretty much want to shop with Roman for a self-build ANH OWK once I've got the cash...

(I've got an Icons OWK but I still want to build an OWK that I could handle or wear with a costume. Something about putting together a replica myself is intriguing.)

BTW, where DOES one get the threaded rod needed to hold the saber together? Is it a Lowe's, Home Depot, or customized rod you have to get made? Who actually sells something like that?

Everything else besides the bubble strip I know I can get through Roman...

The htreaded rod is available at any hardware store. You get 5 feet for like 3 bucks or so. 3/8 threaded rod works. Some places call it "Ready Rod"

Nice work there Roman. I have built this saber a couple times but now to have dead on accurate parts, I'm gonna have to do it again...
When are you getting your paws on an emitter??

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back