Iron Man Mk 39 Starboost PVC/EVA Built

@markseven
Yeah great to meet some people living close! :) I probably will not finish until then, my plan is to go as Iron Man to Cologne GamesCom 2016, hope that will work out. I tend to take some time with my builds, even if I try to rush them, I just cant build faster! xD

that'd be nice if u could make it until next year! also check out the RPC http://www.rpc-germany.de/ friend me so we can chat and maybe i can get you free entrance to the rpc ^^

Congratulations on the completion of the torso :thumbsup it looks awesome
And good luck with moving; I hope all will go well

George thanks for the nice words, i hope everything goes well also, but I have nothing to worry about! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I uploaded two new videos. One, where I finish the little bits and pieces of the armor, that are left over. And the second one of the LED Lighting, that goes into the armor.

You can check them out here:

Iron Man Mk 39 #004 Finishing Touches Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8z-Imet3L0

Iron Man Mk 39 #005 Torso Electronics Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJ4TcB3nWo

For lighting the jet engines, I took some 10mm frosted acrylic and cut it into shape. The plan was to put LEDs only in areas, where you cannot see them directly, so that in the end you will have a very even lighting. This is also possible, because the frosted acrylic is diffusing the light very well. I had drilled the black PVC pieces (as seen in the video) with the various holes before, so I knew where I had to place my LEDs. I marked everything and went over to a friends workshop to drill the holes. He has a drillpress, which is much needed for drilling clean holes into acrylic. The acrylic drilled like butter but you want to make sure not to force the drill into the material, give it some time and maybe drill one hole in 3 steps instead of one. After about two hours i was done with drilling and everything looked like this:

IMG_20150919_171035.jpg

Back at my workshop I glued in all the LEDs which fit perfectly into the holes. ( 5mm LEDs fit perfectly in 5mm holes :D ) Superglue was my good friend when it came to gluing. After that it was already time to solder the LEDs together. The before mentioned friend gave me a tip, that I could just bend the legs of each LED and connect them that way. What a brilliant idea, saved me a lot of time and soldering.

IMG_20150920_122342.jpg

NOTE: Having a father who is an electrical engineer, he approached me afterwards and told me that I need to solder in resistors for each LED. Not knowing what current I will be powering the LEDs later, I have not done this yet. But just to let you know, each LED needs 3,5-4Volts and consumes 15-20mA. Depending on the source of electricity, you need proper resistors or the LEDs will die quickly, or even instantly. Connecting a LED to 12Volt fries it in seconds, for example. Just keep that in mind, maybe I will give you guys an update on this later.

I glued on the cover plates for the big jet engines and glued everything into the torso, and man, would you just look at that beautiful lighting. It turned out great and exactly how I imagined it to be. In the future, the LEDs will be controlled by an Arduino and glow if certain events are triggered.

IMG_20150920_192055.jpg

I wish i had a good camera to get some crispy photos, but for now this has to be it. Maybe I can find a real photographer to take some photos of me in the future.

That has been it from me for today guys, Im happy to hear your feedback, and now its back to packing hahaha! :)

No guys, Im not dead! Just very busy with college at the moment! A lot happened since I moved in but now Im starting to get back on track and to find some time to continue the build. The Iron Man is standing at my dorm window and the entire campus is able to see it! I already had a lot of people asking about it hahaha!

Here is a little sneak peek of whats coming next:

IMG_20151102_214733.jpg

First one to guess what it will be gets.........absolutely nothing! :D

Hear from you guys soon!

Glad to hear it's continuing. Hope college is all going well.

Must be interesting for people walking past to just see that staring at them.

I call shoulder pads for those parts... Now where do I go to claim my nothing? :p

Hi Cri7e, your Iron man suit looks absolutely AMAZING! Do you by some chance have the pepakura files? i have always wanted to start building a Mk 39 suit....
Thanks!

Hi Cri7e, your Iron man suit looks absolutely AMAZING! Do you by some chance have the pepakura files? i have always wanted to start building a Mk 39 suit....
Thanks!
Hey Brendan,

I have the Pep Files but I didnt make them! If Im not mistaken I mentioned who made them in the first post, dont remember though! Try looking around, there are some good options out there! If not I can always send them to you! :)

Also thanks for the nice words, I really want to continue this build, if I only had time! :( Im gonna improve my time management! :D

I finally had some spare time and after browsing through various builds of Iron Man Suits I could not resist the urge not to build my suit any longer!

When I got home today I really wanted to finish the shoulder pads, and so I did! Im not super happy with how they turned out but they look halfway decent in my opinion.

IMG_20151129_180745.jpg

They are also not too big, which I was worried about! I sometimes see builds, where the shoulders are just way too freaking huge, I dont like that.

Over all I think the shoulders were the hardest parts so far due to their "complex" shape, PVC does not like to be bent and because of that I had to carefully heat it up and shape it into its final form, always being careful not to overheat the material.

Next is probably the abs section and after that the codplate. Then I will continue with the arms and helmet, but we will see when that will happen hahaha! Keep in mind I want to be finished by GamesCom 2016, should be doable!

I saw a project run of an Iron Man Mk 39 Helmet once, anyone can remember who the person was who sold it or knows the thread? Would be a great help!

Until then, see you next time

Cri7e

Loving the use of pvc. Any suggestions or tips on using it as a building material? Are you using foam pep designs, what kind of pvc are you using and where are you getting it? etc so interested and inspired by your work.

thanks

Loving the use of pvc. Any suggestions or tips on using it as a building material? Are you using foam pep designs, what kind of pvc are you using and where are you getting it? etc so interested and inspired by your work.

thanks
Hello Madrick,

the great thing about PVC is, that it already has a smooth surface! What really annoyed me on my first built was the never ending filling and sanding of the helmet to get a smooth surface. PVC is already smooth!
I bought two big sheets (2000x1000x1mm) of grey PVC on eBay.
What Im doing is, I use pep files, simplify them to my needs, so that only the basic shapes are visible, print them out on paper, cut the pieces out of paper, trace the shapes onto the pvc and cut that out! Now I have my finished pieces in pvc, i give them a light sanding and put white color on them! All I have to do then is maybe heat form them and glue everything together!

That process repeats throughout the entire suit! :)

Best of luck to you buddy!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back