Iron Man Mk 39 Starboost PVC/EVA Built

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Cri7e, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Hello everybody,

In this thread I will be documenting the complete build of my Iron Man Mk 39 Starboost armor.

I will keep the first post updated, so that new people can see the overall progress and don´t need to scroll through the entire thread.

Progress September 2015:

IMG_20150923_133227_3.jpg

Torso and electronics for the torso are complete.

Content:
    Torso

Part 1: Iron Man Mk 39 #001 Intakes Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xKB9nR934
    Part 2: Iron Man Mk 39 #002 Jet Engines Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHVIOwB07A
    Part 3: Iron Man Mk 39 #003 Torso Assembly Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oafthe269fY
    Part 4: Iron Man Mk 39 #004 Finishing Touches Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8z-Imet3L0
    Part 5: Iron Man Mk 39 #005 Torso Electronics Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJ4TcB3nWo

Original 1st Post:

Hey guys,

welcome to my new built! In this thread I will be documenting my Iron Man Mk 39 Starboost/Gemini built. I only finished my last built (Iron Man Mk 2 helmet which can be found here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242304) about two weeks ago, but after a project finishes, I tend to get bored of too much free time qickly so I needed another project.

I always loved the Mk 39 Starboost armor ever since I saw it at a toys convention three years ago at a city nearby. What really inspired me to do this built was the one and only MasterLe Cosplay who has already done this armor.
    What I really got tired of quickly in my last built was all the sanding! It took forever and made a giant mess in my workshop. So I knew I wanted to do something different this time. I noticed that MasterLe used a different technique. He uses thin plastic sheets to from the suits out of. So I went online and ordered two sheets of 1mx2mx1mm PVC for the white parts of the armor. The black, honeycomb textured parts will be made out of EVA Foam, which already has the texture I like. I know in the original suit its a honeycomb texture and not what I will be using but I honestly dont have the patience to cut out so many shapes and I think the texture of the EVA foam will look just fine.

As always all of my builds start out with pepakura files, even when I will be using much thicker materials. For pepakura files, I used those from the wonderful @PepCowboy who did a perfect job creating these files! Having all the .pdo files I had the ability to create my own unfords to fit my needs, since I wont be needing all of the detail that he designed.

After simplifying all the parts of the armor, which took about a week, it was as simple as printing the files and starting the work. I will be building the torso first. I cut out the pieces from the paper and traced them onto the PVC, then cut out the PVC parts and glued everything together. I bought PVC glue but it takes about 30min to cure and aint nobody got time for that! So Im sticking with super glue at the moment. So far I really like the results! The shaped PVC parts are basically finished and only need painting and some more details. And to get to this point is took about a day so it is way faster than paper/resin and most important: NO SANDING NEEDED! I might try my first steps with EVA foam tomorrow, well see how that works out.

See you in the next one guys!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    PepCowboy, Radigast and George like this.
  2. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

So today is Sunday and I finally have some time to work on my Armor. Ive been cutting out the various pieces out of pcv over the last week and really like the results so far.
    Still having problems with gluing parts together though. Today I started working on the EVA Foam parts and absolutely fell in love with the material. First of all the Texture looks great combined with the matte white pained PVC parts and it is very nice to work with. Hopefully next time I can show you the complete backpack, but we´ll see how I progress.

Also quick tip for people who try to paint PVC: Sand the material with 300grid sandpaper and the paint will stick much better to the surface. i did some testing and it works great.

Attached Files:

George likes this.
  3. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

I´ve been working on a custom Arc reactor this entire morning. it turned out pretty nice, now I only have to find somebody with a lasercutter! :D I did a quick drawing in SketchUp to see what it will look like. It is built out of 5 layers of acrylic and lit with LEDs behind the ring. It fits perfectly into the armor since i drew it from real world measurements.
    Also the front of the torso is almost complete, now I only have to finish the jet engines and the biggest piece of the armor will be done. Should take me about 2-3 more days, depending on how productive I feel! See you in the next one!

Attached Files:

George likes this.
  4. Warmachine2000

Warmachine2000 Active Member

coming along nicely :thumbsup

5. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Off to an awesome start,Cri7e :thumbsup keep it up

6. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  7. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Im moving to a new city by the end of the month, thats why I want to finish at least the torso by then, so I dont have to move the various pieces to the new place!

The last couple of days have been quite successfull, I have already finished big parts of the back of the torso. The last big things I have to finish are the side pieces, which unfortunately I cannot paint right now because its getting a little bit cold here in Germany and the paint wont stick to the cold plastic, when painted outside. So we will see when I can paint those. I really dont want to spray inside.....

I continued building the rear jet engines and various pieces needed at the back of the torso. The black pieces of the second picture will be drilled and I will put some light behind to make it glow, like if you would actually run the engines. Same goes for the main engines. Inspired by MasterLe Im thinking about putting in a system to have some kind of CO2 Jet Engine imitation. A Video to that can be found on his Youtube Channel.

Also I stepped up my YouTube game and started to post timelapse videos of me building the suit. I started a little late but better late than never, because I think it is always helpful to people to get some insight on how things are made, if they want to make their own. I watched a lot of tutorials on Cosplay myself so I want to share my knowledge aswell.

The video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xKB9nR934

Talk to everybody soon!

Attached Files:

George and Jmen like this.
  8. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Active Member

Man, that looks sharp! :) Really well done! And it's really cool that you're uploading time lapses, too!

9. Warmachine2000

Can't wait for more progress on this build :thumbsup

10. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Work is coming along nicely and the torso should be complete by the end of the week. The progress that still takes the longest is for the PVC glue to dry off. I can only work for like 15min and then have to wait until the next day until its dry. I have tried to use hot glue but it warps the PVC and the parts come apart after a while. I know that there is a superglue that "melts" PVC together, I have seen some companies use it but I dont know where to buy it. I have not found it anywhere on the Internet.

I did not take a whole lot of pictures due to the fact that Im constantly filming, but more crisp pictures will come in the future, since I just ordered a OnePlus One as my new phone. The good old Nexus 4 has ages quite a bit and the cameras are utter crap nowadays!

I had to make a lot of custom pieces at the back and really did not pay attention to the pepakura model anymore. Nothing fit together as it should, since I probably left out some bends that the Pep model needed to go together, so in the end, I went my own route of making everything fit together nicely. Now it is not 100% accurate to what the Mk 39 in the film looks like but to be honest, I never opted for that in the first place. I still think it looks great, you will see the results soon.
    Also I have to note that i usually dont film the endless hours of experimenting and trimming and fitting in my videos, because I think that is quite boring to watch, but just so that you guys know, there has already been put a lot of work into each individual piece, before I can glue it together as easily as it seems in my videos.

Also I almost forgot: I found a place that has a Laser Cutter and other various CNC Machines and 3D Printers, its close tho the city where I live now and I will soon be cutting my custom arc reactor. These workshops are called FabLabs (not fap ;) ) and are free to use. They are especially made for makers and as a member you can go there as often as you want and use everything in the workshop. I already heard of more projects to open such Workshops and I gotta say I just love the fact, that the maker movement is growing so fast and its awesome to be a part of it. So nice to see people realize, that it is way more fun to just make something instead of going out and buying it at a store.

I got in touch with a really nice guy working there and he will help me with the laser cutter. Now all I have to do is to complete my drawings of the arc reactor and I should be good to go. I can even buy the acrylics there.

Also make sure to check out my new Timelapse, in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHVIOwB07A

Attached Files:

Bright and George like this.
  11. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

While I am still working on finishing the main torso before I move, i decided to share my progress on the Arc reactor.
    I finally found time to visit the FabLab in a city nearby. I met a lot of incredible people, all sharing the same interests and having a lot of great knowledge and tips. I had a great time and made a lot of new friends. I encourage everybody to visit your nearby makerspace and to just interact with other people, loving the same stuff! It helps so much.

A guy there helped me to prepare my files for the laser cutter, he was very nice and a great help since I had never cut anything like that before. I sent him my 2D files and he converted them into a format for the laser cutter. Everything went smoothly and my files worked great. Complete cutting time was about 9min. There is nothing more enjoyable than watching a thing you created on the computer to become reality. The laser cutter cut the 3mm acrylic with no problem. Only the white diffusor plate was cut on my little table saw.

The LEDs are placed behind the ring so that you cannot see them directly. They illuminate the arc very well. Around the thinner sections of the ring, I will be wrapping copper wire and put some black mesh in the middle, as seen in the drawings of my earlier post.

I will be filming more timelapses today, Im almost done with the torso, but editing takes some time so we will see when that will happen.

See you in the next one! :)

Attached Files:

George, markseven and Jmen like this.
  12. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

2nd post today? really? yeah I´ve been super busy working on the arc reactor and managed to completely finish it today (along with a lot of other things that I will soon talk about).

I painted the middle section of the arc reactor with a base coat of flat black and put silver on top. The color is really the one most arc reactors have. After that I stripped down some copper wire and shaped it around a rectangular metal stick. I cut out little U-shaped pieces and glued every single piece onto the ring.

After that I found a nice looking meshed plate and I think it looks perfect on the middle of the arc. All I had to do was paint it flat black aswell.
    In the end I did some light weathering and held all the pieces together with black duck tape.

I think the results speak for itself. Im incredibly happy with how it turned out and it looks way better than I have ever imagined.

Please feel free to leave your comments and thoughts below, I feel like I´m talking to myself here :D

Attached Files:

markseven, George and stigmorgan like this.
  13. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

some really nice clean work :thumbsup

14. George

The photos speak for themselves :p looks great,Cri7e
    Can't wait for the next update

15. Warmachine2000

Dude, I love the custom arc reactor. It looks great!

16. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Thanks stigmorgan, George And Warmachine2000 ,

if anyone wants to make such an ARC reactor, feel free to hit me up and I will send you the .pdf files. :)

George likes this.
  17. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

The torso is finally completely assembled, it all went together great, even though I had to modify some pieces to make them fit.

It is very sturdy and should not come apart any time soon. I had to make little custom pieces to fill up the various small gaps, but over all im very proud with my work.

I want to add decals, to be specific, the red "Intakes" logos above the intakes. Does anybody have an idea how to make such decals? I dont want to cut the letters out by hand, that seems like a big pain in the a**.

I will post two one more update and two more videos before I move, but as for the time being, thats probably it from me for a while. Im moving next week and have to get used to university and the new environment first. I will contunie working on the Armor, mainly cutting out all the PVC pieces so that I can pray paint them in spring and continue my work when the weather starts to get warmer again. Maybe, if I am very lucky, i can find a place to spray all my stuff inside, then the Updates should come more frequent but Im not sure about that yet.

I hope you all enjoy following my work. I love the feedback from you guys.

New Video is up:

Iron Man Mk 39 #003 Torso Assembly Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oafthe269fY

Also I updated the first post, so that people can navigate through the tread more easily.

IMG_20150923_133227_3.jpg IMG_20150918_134633.jpg Iron Man Mk 39.jpg

George likes this.
  18. markseven

markseven Well-Known Member

wow i didnt know ur from germany as well! I've been following your builds. this one is definitey my favorite! u gonna be finished until german comicon this dec? it'd be awesome if we could run around as ironmen ^^

19. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

markseven
    Yeah great to meet some people living close! :) I probably will not finish until then, my plan is to go as Iron Man to Cologne GamesCom 2016, hope that will work out. I tend to take some time with my builds, even if I try to rush them, I just cant build faster! xD

20. Warmachine2000

That torso came out great! nice work:)

21. markseven

markseven Well-Known Member

that'd be nice if u could make it until next year! also check out the RPC http://www.rpc-germany.de/ friend me so we can chat and maybe i can get you free entrance to the rpc ^^

22. George

Congratulations on the completion of the torso :thumbsup it looks awesome
    And good luck with moving; I hope all will go well

23. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

George thanks for the nice words, i hope everything goes well also, but I have nothing to worry about! :)

24. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Today I uploaded two new videos. One, where I finish the little bits and pieces of the armor, that are left over. And the second one of the LED Lighting, that goes into the armor.

You can check them out here:

Iron Man Mk 39 #004 Finishing Touches Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8z-Imet3L0

Iron Man Mk 39 #005 Torso Electronics Timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJ4TcB3nWo

For lighting the jet engines, I took some 10mm frosted acrylic and cut it into shape. The plan was to put LEDs only in areas, where you cannot see them directly, so that in the end you will have a very even lighting. This is also possible, because the frosted acrylic is diffusing the light very well. I had drilled the black PVC pieces (as seen in the video) with the various holes before, so I knew where I had to place my LEDs. I marked everything and went over to a friends workshop to drill the holes. He has a drillpress, which is much needed for drilling clean holes into acrylic. The acrylic drilled like butter but you want to make sure not to force the drill into the material, give it some time and maybe drill one hole in 3 steps instead of one. After about two hours i was done with drilling and everything looked like this:

IMG_20150919_171035.jpg

Back at my workshop I glued in all the LEDs which fit perfectly into the holes. ( 5mm LEDs fit perfectly in 5mm holes :D ) Superglue was my good friend when it came to gluing. After that it was already time to solder the LEDs together. The before mentioned friend gave me a tip, that I could just bend the legs of each LED and connect them that way. What a brilliant idea, saved me a lot of time and soldering.

IMG_20150920_122342.jpg

NOTE: Having a father who is an electrical engineer, he approached me afterwards and told me that I need to solder in resistors for each LED. Not knowing what current I will be powering the LEDs later, I have not done this yet. But just to let you know, each LED needs 3,5-4Volts and consumes 15-20mA. Depending on the source of electricity, you need proper resistors or the LEDs will die quickly, or even instantly. Connecting a LED to 12Volt fries it in seconds, for example. Just keep that in mind, maybe I will give you guys an update on this later.

I glued on the cover plates for the big jet engines and glued everything into the torso, and man, would you just look at that beautiful lighting. It turned out great and exactly how I imagined it to be. In the future, the LEDs will be controlled by an Arduino and glow if certain events are triggered.

IMG_20150920_192055.jpg

I wish i had a good camera to get some crispy photos, but for now this has to be it. Maybe I can find a real photographer to take some photos of me in the future.

That has been it from me for today guys, Im happy to hear your feedback, and now its back to packing hahaha! :)

Ikras, George and markseven like this.
  25. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

holy crap man that's beautiful

Cri7e likes this.
  26. George

May I second that :thumbsup

Cri7e likes this.
  27. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

That effect is stunning. All shaping up really nicely.

28. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

No guys, Im not dead! Just very busy with college at the moment! A lot happened since I moved in but now Im starting to get back on track and to find some time to continue the build. The Iron Man is standing at my dorm window and the entire campus is able to see it! I already had a lot of people asking about it hahaha!

Here is a little sneak peek of whats coming next:

IMG_20151102_214733.jpg

First one to guess what it will be gets.........absolutely nothing! :D

Hear from you guys soon!

George and Ikras like this.
  29. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

Glad to hear it's continuing. Hope college is all going well.

Must be interesting for people walking past to just see that staring at them.

I call shoulder pads for those parts... Now where do I go to claim my nothing? :p

George likes this.
  30. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Ikras shoulder pads it is, maybe I will be able to finish them tomorrow. I just need to heat form some PVC parts and it should be done! :)

Ikras and markseven like this.
  31. Warmachine2000

you finish those shoulders pads?

32. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Not yet buddy, university is keeping me busy and I ran into some issues with the pieces holding their shape! When I have semester brake, I can work a lot more on the suit again! :)

33. brendanhb

brendanhb New Member

Hi Cri7e, your Iron man suit looks absolutely AMAZING! Do you by some chance have the pepakura files? i have always wanted to start building a Mk 39 suit....
    Thanks!

34. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Hey Brendan,

I have the Pep Files but I didnt make them! If Im not mistaken I mentioned who made them in the first post, dont remember though! Try looking around, there are some good options out there! If not I can always send them to you! :)

Also thanks for the nice words, I really want to continue this build, if I only had time! :( Im gonna improve my time management! :D

35. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

I finally had some spare time and after browsing through various builds of Iron Man Suits I could not resist the urge not to build my suit any longer!

When I got home today I really wanted to finish the shoulder pads, and so I did! Im not super happy with how they turned out but they look halfway decent in my opinion.

IMG_20151129_180745.jpg

They are also not too big, which I was worried about! I sometimes see builds, where the shoulders are just way too freaking huge, I dont like that.

Over all I think the shoulders were the hardest parts so far due to their "complex" shape, PVC does not like to be bent and because of that I had to carefully heat it up and shape it into its final form, always being careful not to overheat the material.

Next is probably the abs section and after that the codplate. Then I will continue with the arms and helmet, but we will see when that will happen hahaha! Keep in mind I want to be finished by GamesCom 2016, should be doable!

I saw a project run of an Iron Man Mk 39 Helmet once, anyone can remember who the person was who sold it or knows the thread? Would be a great help!

Until then, see you next time

Cri7e

Ikras and George like this.
  36. Warmachine2000

37. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Yes that was it! Thank you very much dude, I contacted the guy already! :)

38. madrick

madrick Active Member

Loving the use of pvc. Any suggestions or tips on using it as a building material? Are you using foam pep designs, what kind of pvc are you using and where are you getting it? etc so interested and inspired by your work.

thanks

39. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Hello Madrick,

the great thing about PVC is, that it already has a smooth surface! What really annoyed me on my first built was the never ending filling and sanding of the helmet to get a smooth surface. PVC is already smooth!
    I bought two big sheets (2000x1000x1mm) of grey PVC on eBay.
    What Im doing is, I use pep files, simplify them to my needs, so that only the basic shapes are visible, print them out on paper, cut the pieces out of paper, trace the shapes onto the pvc and cut that out! Now I have my finished pieces in pvc, i give them a light sanding and put white color on them! All I have to do then is maybe heat form them and glue everything together!

That process repeats throughout the entire suit! :)

Best of luck to you buddy!

Shadeling and markseven like this.
  40. Shadeling

Shadeling Well-Known Member

Fantastic work :)

Cri7e likes this.
  41. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Thank you! :)

42. PepCowboy

PepCowboy Active Member

Looks Fantastic I'm glad my files came in handy :D great work!!

43. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

Dude your files are awesome, I have them printed out somewhere ready to build if I ever get chance to finish everythng I have on the go already

PepCowboy likes this.
  44. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Hello everybody,

First of all Happy 2016, yeah guys, Im not dead! :D In fact I made a lot of progress that I cannot really share yet because I have to assemble the parts first! All parts for the abs and cod plate are cut out and are waiting for painting, unfortunately I have yet to find a place to paint, because outside it is way too cold right now!

Here is a picture of the cod plate so far:

IMG_20160112_160457.jpg

I did some minor changes to my workflow too. Now, whenever I have parts that will be glued together, I glue them before painting. Superglue sticks much better to PVC if there is no paint on it. Completely assembled the parts are ready for painting.
    I bought some long underwear to which I will attach the abs with Velcro, it also looks very Iron Man like and gives me something comfortable to wear to build up from! It can be thrown in the washmachine if needed and is also thin enough to prevent me from overheating while wearing the suit.

Hopefully by the time of the next Update I have the abs and cod plate ready to show you guys!

See you in the next one, Cri7e

45. Cri7e

Cri7e Active Member

Hey guys,

Im back today with a post that might sound a little bit annoyed, and that is because I am! I was really trying to make progress with this build during the last few weeks but every night I was working on t nothing turned out the way I wanted it to.

A lot of it has to do with pieces not aligning correctly and then looking just terrible! Because of that I have to redo a lot of parts and make my own "designs" in order to make them work properly.

Because I got annoyed by arms and legs, I started doing the helmet! I dont know, there is something about the helmet, that keep me m,otivated, just by looking at it and thinking about how awesome it looks! :D

Also by accident I found my probably next project (if I ever finish this one lol). I had never seen or heard of the Mark 40 "Shotgun" before but totally fell in love with its design.

The dude BSD made some awesome and very clean pepakura files and I think building this armor might be a lot easier. You can find all the info here:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=184400

Also I am thinking about switching completely to foam. The PVC boards I am using work well for straight surfaces but getting them into a round shape is a pain in the * and most of the time looks terrible! I think the Mark 40 should be out of PVC Foam boards (also called Forex in Germany) which is easier to work with, from what I have read.

Anyways I hope I can show some updates soon! :)

46. RocFoamArmory

RocFoamArmory Active Member

I'm about to start wiring my mk39 suit, would you mind sharing the files with me? I'd love to take a look and see if I can use them!