Interesting article on new xbox

If even half these rumors are true it's going to hurt. No parent's going to shell out 70.00 a game for their kids then 120 for live. Hell most college kids can't even manage the 60 a year now for live. That controller better be fake or it's the worst designed thing ever. I think sony's already making sales off these rumors about the xbox.

The $120 for Live comes from the cheaper $300 xbox + 2 year subscription. Basicly paying a higher rate in return for a cheaper initial outlay. As for the Gold Live subscription for everyone else, this is the latest rumour I have (source - Xbox Durango/"Mini" details - Pastebin.com)

In addition to that, developers are being told that a month of Xbox Live Gold is automatically applied to a user's account, once any new game is installed. This is essentially Microsoft's answer to calls for a free Xbox Live service while softening the blow of eliminating the used market. If you buy a lot of games, Xbox Live basically becomes free. Live subscriptions will remain available separately as well though.

But making Live required is a stinker.
I have no used for it. I play single player games and I download Live arcade games and demos from time to time. Beyond that the only thing I need the internet connection for is software updates for a buggy console/game.

And yes... I still feel like I'm getting robbed at $60/game... at least at the register. If it's a good game, then I feel like I got my money' worth because I play the hell out of it. Skyrim, Fallout 3, Prototype 2, Lego Batman 2, Gears of War, Lost Planet, even Tron Evolution (although I tried to return it)... well worth the money. I've bought other games that were complete crap... and returning them isn't an option these days. Instead Gamestop-type places buy them back and resell them. So yes, I guess I could concede that they should get something for the resale... as long as they don't come knocking on my door when I sell something on feeBay.

I wonder how bad these rumors have hurt potential sales. i'd laugh if all the rumors were false but they lost folks for not coming out and saying it.

But making Live required is a stinker.
I have no used for it. I play single player games and I download Live arcade games and demos from time to time. Beyond that the only thing I need the internet connection for is software updates for a buggy console/game.

The only time I play console games is with my niece and nephew. They don't play multiplayer at all. The only time we've ever used Live was to get DLC things.

Still if you're going to have to pay $70 for a game anyway, you might as well save up your money for a gaming PC that will play better and look a LOT better.

I have free silver live account and it works great for me. If even half these rumors are true it's going to be a rough ride for microsoft god help them if they're all true.

I remember when all they did was play games and that was good enough for me. I do like having a built in dvd player but i don't need all this trash that the xbox dash has on it. Give me my game, a dvd player, and access to the online store that's all i want. The ps3 got that right too as they didn't shove a ton of crap down your throat.

In the past, it was always about the Killer App....

I was always quite deflated by PS3 titles....even their heavy hitters like resistance and Killzone just left me feeling flat......i bought a first gen Xbox to play Halo.....i bought a 360 to play Oblivion.....the only thing that will make me invest in the new one is if they have awesome release games.....

BUT, with no SW 1313 anymore, Skyrim has finished, the only things i'm looking forward to are Fallout 4 (or whatever it'll be called)....actually, that's all i can think of. And i don't think it'll be released for another couple of years.....

I'm bored with military COD style games, bored witless with racing games......what possible titles will MS have to entice us?????

Rich

Gaming has really gone downhill it seems, I agree with that. COD repackages the same game over and over again and re-sells it to you, most games have weak multiplayer and you lose interest rather quickly. Most people on my Xbox list just watch Netflix all the time, so hopefully the next gen system steps it up on their games.

I still play Xbox games once in a while these days, but yeah, I mostly only use it for the video apps. It's solid for that, and I'm happy with it, but I'm in no rush to go out and buy another system.

The problem is that MS and their developers push the hell out of MP games and forget not everyone wants to play multiplayer or can. i'm going to be backing more stuff on kickstarter and playing the pc from the looks of it.

Yeah, I find myself playing less and less MP anymore. I actually prefer playing co-op if possible. There've been periods where I've gotten heavily into an MP game, but so many of them have ranks and unlocks and crap that I just don't care to deal with anymore. I don't have the time or the inclination to grind out levels in a damn FPS just so that I won't get killed by some dude with a better gun and better armor or whatever. So, I find myself playing SP games a lot more, or playing co-op with friends.

What's driving away people from MP is the fact that parents buy their 12 year olds these games that aren't meant for them and the little turds run around being asses.

It's more than just that. I think it's also the samey-ness of the games. I mean, I enjoyed Battlefield Bad Company and Bad Company 2 largely because of the destructible environments and the objective-based gameplay. Battlefield 3 changed map designs considerably, and had some real balance issues, and just reminded me of what a drag Battlefield games can turn into. It was fun, but ultimately it felt pretty much the same as the other games. Now we have Battlefield 4 coming out and I really just don't give a damn.

Red Orchestra was great when it first came out, but the second game turned me off with it's awful unlock/ranking system. They did things to fix the game, but by then I just wasn't as interested in devoting the time to getting good at the game.

I'm fine spending time playing games and such, but I'm more into playing through stories these days than just mindlessly killing things. And if I want mindless killing, I'm more up for co-op Halo or L4D or something. Coop is a lot more fun to me than dealing with some of the jackasses out there.

We used to have a COD group on here that was so big, we often couldn't get everyone in the same match. Imagine 18 RPFers all going at it with great trash talking. Those were the days. Sadly the group began to shrink slowly over the years until now we never play at all. Our annual COD Bowl on Super Bowl Sunday even went by the wayside this year. Of course I was horribly ill that day or I would have been there.

I think the biggest reason is after five or six COD games, there's just nothing new to keep us interested. I sure do miss those games though.

I haven't turned my xbox on much at all lately. Althought the last two evenings I did break out Beatles Rock Band and had a good time.

I can't play CoD type games. Too fast paced for me. I can't aim fast enough with a console controller and end up dead too fast. I've tried demos of just about every type of FPS BS hate them all.
Fallout and Skyrim are definitely the titles that will keep me gaming. Problem with playing them on a PC is you can't buy a performance gaming PC for the price of an Xbox. I'd consider getting a dedicated gaming PC and hook it up to my TV but only if its more cost effective than buying a new console.

On a side note. Does anyone use those special gaming pads like the Razor Nostromo?

I will not own another XBOX. Having to have a live account just to access the basic online presence and use things like netflix just pissed me off to no end. Now add into it all these new rumors, My PS3 does all of it for FREE and I have ZERO issues with connectivity etc. M$ can kiss my ass.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back