Interesting article on new xbox

The proof will be in the pudding and I could care less what the name is to determine my swaying toward buying one or the other console.

On the Kinect, if everyone has it from the get-go, you're not alienating anyone by coming out with a game that utilizes the technology on top of the standard controllers. I think we're going to see some amazing things coming where we use both controller and Kinect and I think people will start changing their minds on what is possible vs. only judging by what is already out there. More power, more accurate, detailed recognition and faster camera system... more possibilities.

The part about developing for kinect is true, but i think it goes farther than that. You have, what? 90%? of the games developed, period, are multi-platform. If you develop a kinect based game, you're limiting yourself to one console. Won't work on the other console's or PC's.

Now, it's true that if all xbox user's have it, the odds of more people developing stuff to use it increases greatly. Easier to get someone to develop, as noted above, for the full xbox user base ans opposed to the small subset that has kinect. Something that REALLY backs that point are the 3D PS3 Motion Controllers (wii copy cat). Those sold a tiny fraction of the kinect and short of tiger woods golf (for 1-2 years) I don't know that much else used it.

Still, creating a kinect title, means you can't port it straight forwardly. You HAVE to make it equally playable from a standard controller.

My friend and i are sticking with sony after seeing their psn store. I got 5 games all but 1 can be used on 3 systems: the ps3,psp,and vita for 50.00. you can't find any 2 games for that on live.

And it will cost them customers who have no use for it. They need to face it, it was basically a flop for nearly every game it was part of in xbox 360. I actually have seen them at fleamarkets for sale.

The part about developing for kinect is true, but i think it goes farther than that. You have, what? 90%? of the games developed, period, are multi-platform. If you develop a kinect based game, you're limiting yourself to one console. Won't work on the other console's or PC's.

Now, it's true that if all xbox user's have it, the odds of more people developing stuff to use it increases greatly. Easier to get someone to develop, as noted above, for the full xbox user base ans opposed to the small subset that has kinect. Something that REALLY backs that point are the 3D PS3 Motion Controllers (wii copy cat). Those sold a tiny fraction of the kinect and short of tiger woods golf (for 1-2 years) I don't know that much else used it.

Still, creating a kinect title, means you can't port it straight forwardly. You HAVE to make it equally playable from a standard controller.

Excellent point. It's still definitely an open question, and aside from console-specific titles, how would it work? That I'm not sure about.

From Nov 2 until the end of the year, they're dropping the price of a new Xbox 50.00. Might be time to finally pull the trigger.

From Nov 2 until the end of the year, they're dropping the price of a new Xbox 50.00. Might be time to finally pull the trigger.
Sunset Overdrive is getting stellar reviews (from what I've seen so far) and with the Master Chief Collection coming out soon as well it's not a bad time to grab a console. I think I've played more Diablo 3 on my xbox than anything since Skyrim came out a few years back.

My Xbox One sits unused underneath the telly...whereas my PS4 is used every day. Maybe things will change with the Master Chief collection and Halo 5.....also Forza Horizon looks quite nifty.....but there's just not a lot that WOWS me about XboxOne. I also find the UI really counter intuitive.....i simply can't find game trailers or previews....i end up going on Machinima or IGN on PS4.....

I was really hoping there'd be a MyShape Fitness game for Xbox One.....the new Kinect would be brilliant for body tracking, but it hasn't happened, so the Kinect sits unused too......

Rich

I was really hoping there'd be a MyShape Fitness game for Xbox One.....the new Kinect would be brilliant for body tracking, but it hasn't happened, so the Kinect sits unused too......

Rich

There is Xbox Fitness that uses the Kinect for body tracking. It comes with trial versions of a few fitness programs and there's plenty you can buy for it (Jillian Michaels, Shaun T., Tracy Anderson, and Tony Horton). Given that Microsoft has all but thrown the Kinect under the bus that may be the best you'll get, but it sounds not wholly dissimilar to what you want.

There is Xbox Fitness that uses the Kinect for body tracking. It comes with trial versions of a few fitness programs and there's plenty you can buy for it (Jillian Michaels, Shaun T., Tracy Anderson, and Tony Horton). Given that Microsoft has all but thrown the Kinect under the bus that may be the best you'll get, but it sounds not wholly dissimilar to what you want.

Yeah, i had a go on some of those quite a while back. They are basically streaming video work outs, and can be very frenetic. They remind me of those dvd workouts.... I much preferred the level of control on the original MyShape, hence i was really hoping for an updated version.

Rich

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of exclusives, Xbox has it nailed for the holiday season, I think they'll do really well.
What exclusives do Xbox have coming up, then? (I'm not trolling, i'm genuinely interested!)

Rich

I'll probably take the same approach to the XB1 as I did to the X360: namely wait for several years for it to build up a base of games, and then maybe purchase it. These days, my 360 is basically my "Netflix and Xfinity streaming center" and that's it.

What exclusives do Xbox have coming up, then? (I'm not trolling, i'm genuinely interested!)
Rich

Sunset Overdrive (released today) and Halo: The Master Chief Collection (two weeks from today). Halo will probably do decently for the people that want the four numbered titles on one disc for the Xbone but I don't think it and a Ratchet and Clank game not starring Ratchet and/or Clank are enough to make a good dent in PS4's lead.

Honestly I think the better boon for them this holiday season will be the Xbone CoD:AW bundle that comes with a 1TB hard drive as opposed to the standard 500GB.

The masterchief collection is looking good. This holiday season the systems seem to finally be coming into their own. I know everyone badmouths the wiiu but it's finally getting some good games too, just wish the head of nintendo was as savy as the guy he replaced. Downside to the MC collection is the 20gb day 1 update, but apparently it's mostly for people who play multiplayer so the rest of us who don't probably won't need it.

Sunset Overdrive (released today) a Ratchet and Clank game not starring Ratchet and/or Clank

From what I understand it's not so much that as much as it's kind of like Crackdown or Dead Rising with lot's of speedy environmental traversal and a crazy sense of humor. Whether it's enough to dent Sony's lead is kind of immaterial - no one game is going to do that at this point in my opinion.
But yeah, the CoD bundle is a pretty sweet deal, the bigger HD would be very nice.

SO is made by the same people that made Ratchet and Clank, and is full of juvenile humor and absurd weaponry. It's Insomniac Games' signature style applied to the Crackdown/inFamous/Dead Rising style of sandbox game with it mostly forcing you to grind to stay alive and do any appreciable amount of damage. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, Shadow of Mordor is a Batman/Assassin's Creed game starring an undead Aragorn and it's awesome.

MCC couldn't fit 65GB of content on a 45GB disc so there we go. Being a patch you may have to download it regardless of your interest in multiplayer, even though you can play campaign while it downloads.

First year for new consoles is never going to have a ton of content, so unless you need to be an early adopter it's best to wait. I give it another year at least before they really come into their own, when development of games for the XB360 and PS3 cease. Wii U is almost there with Wii getting nothing else new, but Wii U still has the issue of several third party developers not wanting to bother with it (either for sales reasons or programming reasons) and consumers either being turned off by it not being on par with Xbone/PS4's specs or not being into the first party titles. I'll get one eventually when there's more than one game on it I'm interested in, but that'll take a year at least.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back