Indiana Jones (Disney+ series)

I say let Anthony have a shot at it. Solo was an ok movie, but never ever did I think "This guy is Han Solo." Doesn't a movie like this have months if not a year of preproduction? I'm sure the guy could be sent to tons of acting classes in that time to get him up to par. Its not like any Indy movie has ever had Oscar winning acting. While Ford owned the role, personally, I've never thought of him as a super great actor. Sure, he's always great at getting the job done, but to me it always just seems to be Harrison Ford speaking predetermined lines. At least in these types of roles. Just my two cents.
Felt the same way about Ehrenreich. He had an okay performance, but fans and critics seemed to generally agree that he didn't quite carry the confidence and bravado of Ford. Personally, I'd prefer a great impersonator over an average performer.

Ford is an actor, but he is not a "thespian." He's good, but he's not for the kind of dramatic roles that you'd place Patrick Stewart or Marlon Brando in. One thing I can respect Ford for is that he KNOWS what kind of actor he is, and what he's good at playing, and doesn't try to punch above his weight.

If my favorite musician is Elvis, then my 2nd-favorite musician is . . . . probably not an Elvis impersonator.

Impersonators are good for brief cameos. Not for whole starring roles.
At the same time, when Rami Malek played Freddie Mercury, he was only asked to perform, not to sing. They used live performances and demo tapes for that. If an Elvis impersonator can hit all the marks except the singing, I would still find that preferable to somebody who CAN sing but gives a lousy performance or visual match.
...And in more recent years, IIRC Mark Hamill admitted that he and Carrie had a brief make-out session during ANH production... but quit because it just seemed silly. Not trying to be dismissive or offensive to Mark, but in later years Carrie said that Mark couldn't compare to Ford.
Wniotsp.jpg

...And in more recent years, IIRC Mark Hamill admitted that he and Carrie had a brief make-out session during ANH production... but quit because it just seemed silly. Not trying to be dismissive or offensive to Mark, but in later years Carrie said that Mark couldn't compare to Ford.

I get the feeling Carrie's mind would have been made up before Mark even took his shot. She was mad about Harrison in those days.

Deepfakes of new faces onto existing movies . . . it's not really representative of the results of making all-new footage with the replacement actor.

Here is Jim Carrey's face, deep-faked onto Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining'. Does anybody think Jim Carrey would have come across this much like Jack Nicholson if they had the real Jim Carrey film the scenes? No way. The combination of Nicholson's body, mannerisms, hair, head shape, original voice . . . it adds up to a huge portion of the total.

youtube deepfake jim carrey - Google Search

Again, here is Stallone's face mapped onto Arnie's body for his 'Terminator 2' biker bar scene. If they had filmed that scene with the real Stallone it would never have come across that much like Arnie, even setting aside the height/size difference. The Deepfake experiments just make it look too easy to swap faces and maintain the rest of the original actor's mojo.

Last edited:
Ford is an actor, but he is not a "thespian." He's good, but he's not for the kind of dramatic roles that you'd place Patrick Stewart or Marlon Brando in. One thing I can respect Ford for is that he KNOWS what kind of actor he is, and what he's good at playing, and doesn't try to punch above his weight.

HF is NOT a "one note" actor

He's not a theater actor like PS (and it shows) but most actors who haven't had their tenure in theater will fall short of that

Edit 1 : MB is a bad example, he made some real stinkers as well. Steve McQueen is a better example. If he made movies +30 years past his prime I'm sure he would not be revered as much today. And I do love SM

While HF is pretty tied up with HS, IJ and BR, he shows range in quite a number of other films, like "The Conversation", "Witness", "Frantic" and a lot of other movies (I have never seen "American Graffiti" <- sorry)

Seriously, he's made a ton of movies!

Ever since that last IJ movie (that we don't talk about) I had written him off, but his performance in BR2049 is stellar, imho. Lowkey and VERY much an agening Deckard I'd imagined myself

However for this new instalment of the IJ franchise I'm not too hot on seeing him again, sorry

Edit 2 : I hope the "new IJ" isn't PWB, she was that annoying horny droid in "Solo", right?

"Logan" was decent, but hardly a masterpiece

Last edited:
HF is NOT a "one note" actor

He's not a theater actor like PS (and it shows) but most actors who haven't had their tenure in theater will fall short of that

Edit 1 : MB is a bad example, he made some real stinkers as well. Steve McQueen is a better example. If he made movies +30 years past his prime I'm sure he would not be revered as much today. And I do love SM

While HF is pretty tied up with HS, IJ and BR, he shows range in quite a number of other films, like "The Conversation", "Witness", "Frantic" and a lot of other movies (I have never seen "American Graffiti" <- sorry)

Seriously, he's made a ton of movies!

Ever since that last IJ movie (that we don't talk about) I had written him off, but his performance in BR2049 is stellar, imho. Lowkey and VERY much an agening Deckard I'd imagined myself

However for this new instalment of the IJ franchise I'm not too hot on seeing him again, sorry

Edit 2 : I hope the "new IJ" isn't PWB, she was that annoying horny droid in "Solo", right?

"Logan" was decent, but hardly a masterpiece
I never said he was one note, but there's a difference in the kind of dramatic acting Ian McKellen put into his performance in The Lord of the Rings or X-Men, and Harrison Ford in What Lies Beneath or The Fugitive.

My point is that yes, you could drop HF into some of MB or PS's roles. Imagine HF as Captain Kirk .. with lots of iconic finger pointing..
I could imagine Ford as Kirk easily... but much less so Picard. That's the difference I see. Kirk is a man of action, Picard is a man of negotiation.

...Picard is a man of negotiation.
Except when Stewart or Frakes direct! :)

But I wonder what the ousting of Chapek and bringing back Iger in Disney will do for the chances of Indy not going the way of the dodo. I mean, Iger was the buck-stopping enabler that allowed all the ruinings of the classic heroes at Lucasfilm.

Still think an animated series is the way to go.
Agree, I was thinking the same thing. Ford could even do voice, as well as other Indy franchise actors. Much like what was done after the TOS TV run with the Star Trek Animated Series. The NAOIJ Marvel comics were pretty good stories, as well as most of the novels. So, no lack for story ideas. Just my 2c.

Agree, I was thinking the same thing. Ford could even do voice, as well as other Indy franchise actors. Much like what was done after the TOS TV run with the Star Trek Animated Series. The NAOIJ Marvel comics were pretty good stories, as well as most of the novels. So, no lack for story ideas. Just my 2c.

Ford's not a voice actor, plus he doesn't sound like he did in his 40s. So I think you'd still want to go with one of the excellent Harrison Ford sound-alike voice actors. You could have him voice an animated older Indy in the first episode, take a page from the Young Indy bookends. Personally, I'd have the framing device be Indy writing his memoirs.

But I wonder what the ousting of Chapek and bringing back Iger in Disney will do for the chances of Indy not going the way of the dodo. I mean, Iger was the buck-stopping enabler that allowed all the ruinings of the classic heroes at Lucasfilm.

It will do absolutely nothing. He's only going to be there 2 years. He's there to boost stock prices, stop the financial hemorrhaging at the parks, and choose the next CEO. Not mess with the direction of individual studios.

It will do absolutely nothing. He's only going to be there 2 years. He's there to boost stock prices, stop the financial hemorrhaging at the parks, and choose the next CEO. Not mess with the direction of individual studios.
That's kin dof what I was getting at. Since Indy 5 is supposed to come out next summer, and Iger has been more tolerant of KK's shenanigans, if the worst IS being planned for Indy, he may not allow for necessary reshoots to stop the carnage. I guess it depends on whether or not he cares about another franchise being burnt to the ground. At least Chapek delayed Indy for a year, in order to (if the rumors are true) fix it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back