Indiana Jones (Disney+ series)

Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

Hmmmmm….but does Ingruber have mastery of the school of acting referred to as “The Pointing With Purpose Method”??

If not, Harrison Ford’s pointer finger may need to be Deep Faked.

Star Wars Stop GIF

In all seriousness, although I think Ingruber’s imitation of Harrison Ford’s well-known quirks is entertaining enough for a few minutes, having to endure his version of Harrison Ford (looking slightly down while looking slightly up with both a worried expression and a cocky grin at the same time and flicking a gaze left or right mid-sentence) for 8-10 episodes in a series would become both tiresome and a parody. This is the reason why I think his few minutes of screen time in The Age of Adeline worked.

14A011BB-E5E0-4D60-B86C-FA41D78053E2.jpeg

The producers of Solo apparently felt the same way:

If they are to ever recast the role, it should be without the requirement that the actor try to be the doppelgänger of Harrison Ford.

Last edited:
Not really fair to judge someone's potential off a self made youtube video, with no acting experience. Working actors do the same with experience and research under there belts. This guy just did some impressions based i. 3xisting scenes and it took off. It's been what, ten years since? On Solo the Disney brass didn't want someone that was to do an impression of an actor known for a role. Instead they hired an actor and later while filming hired an acting coach to try and bring in and tone down that actors performance ending up with a bash of impression and confusion.

It's why something like Indy is best left alone as is. No reason to continue except for profits and greed. Unless done proper. Don't recast the character just invent something new.

If my favorite musician is Elvis, then my 2nd-favorite musician is . . . . probably not an Elvis impersonator.

Impersonators are good for brief cameos. Not for whole starring roles.

People are sounding like they can’t trust movie makers anymore.

Why, I’m old enough to remember when all the fans were saying that Star Trek Into Darkness would feature the infamous Khan as the baddie.

Well, I remember that JJ Abrams, himself, had to deny this over and over again in the press, and set the fans straight.

'Star Trek' director JJ Abrams denies villain Khan will appear in sequel

Well, and we all know how that turned out.

Right?

Wait a minute…

Oh…

benedict cumberbatch khan GIF

Nevermind.
You know, the notion that "one person in the film business issued a denial that was later revealed to be a lie, so that means or at least implies that any future denials by other people in that same field are therefore also probably lies" does not logically follow. It strikes me as being like the people who never miss an opportunity to say, "Yeah, but the trailer for The Phantom Menace looked good too" -- or conspiracy theorists who, when shown there is no evidence for a particular conspiracy, will reply, "Exactly! The evidence has been covered up! The lack of any evidence that I'm right is actually evidence that I'm right!"

It isn't unreasonable to be somewhat dubious on the basis that everyone in the whole world tells lies at times, but the example you give doesn't really follow.

Of course -- it certainly could turn out that Mangold is being dishonest, but I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel over trying to figure out which is which right now. I don't feel I gain anything from being cynical, especially. People say cynicism saves them from being disappointed, but it really doesn't -- it just front-loads the disappointment. I can't live like that, and I wouldn't want to do so.

SSB

Last edited:
Disney has kept this guy in their back pocket for some time. I think there was talk of him doing something with them
after the Solo thing was going on, IIRC. Is it possible that they have been sponsoring the development this this young talented guy with the hopes
that he might actually be a talented actor?. Not unheard of in Hollywood. Him going out of the gate full force as the new face of Indy
was never going to work. What you see of the character portrayed by Harrison Ford is confidence born out making a lot of mistakes and learning
from them. If they (Lucasfilm) and the actor approach it from the right perspective, it might work.

I say let Anthony have a shot at it. Solo was an ok movie, but never ever did I think "This guy is Han Solo." Doesn't a movie like this have months if not a year of preproduction? I'm sure the guy could be sent to tons of acting classes in that time to get him up to par. Its not like any Indy movie has ever had Oscar winning acting. While Ford owned the role, personally, I've never thought of him as a super great actor. Sure, he's always great at getting the job done, but to me it always just seems to be Harrison Ford speaking predetermined lines. At least in these types of roles. Just my two cents.

It's why something like Indy is best left alone as is. No reason to continue except for profits and greed. Unless done proper. Don't recast the character just invent something new.
Which is pretty much the only reason why the major studios produce anything. The indie and arthouse studios are in it for the art, but all of the major studios are in it for the money. I've always argued that almost all businesses are in the business of making money, in the case of movie studios, making movies is just how they make their money. If they can make their money by making a great film that appeals to a wide audience including the fanbase if it's based on an existing IP, then they'll do so. But if they can still make their money even while pissing off the fans then they'd be fine with that too. At the end of the day, all they care about is the bottom line.

Among the possible directions, this one doesn't sound too bad to me - especially the idea of having Abner be the protagonist. And if true, that would at least render a lot of the Indy 5 worries more-or-less irrelevant to this show.

Agreed; they wouldn't have to retcon a whole lot with Indy-Marion, since we never got a ton of detail in the film itself. Just for God's sake make her over the age of consent - that 1978 story conference transcript is so cringey.

Also if true...

View attachment 1638723

There's your show title.
Well, at the time, marriage in the '30s was, on average: male 24 years old, females 21 years old. Depending on State laws (Parents approval for example) , a girl could marry very early at the time, compared with today's standards.

Well, at the time, marriage in the '30s was, on average: male 24 years old, females 21 years old. Depending on State laws (Parents approval for example) , a girl could marry very early at the time, compared with today's standards.

It's true, but that requires judging past people by the standards of their different times. You can get cancelled for even suggesting such a thing nowadays.

Which is pretty much the only reason why the major studios produce anything. The indie and arthouse studios are in it for the art, but all of the major studios are in it for the money. I've always argued that almost all businesses are in the business of making money, in the case of movie studios, making movies is just how they make their money. If they can make their money by making a great film that appeals to a wide audience including the fanbase if it's based on an existing IP, then they'll do so. But if they can still make their money even while pissing off the fans then they'd be fine with that too. At the end of the day, all they care about is the bottom line.

Yep.

The Indy franchise is getting continued. No point wringing our hands about the prinicple of it one way or another. It's a commercial decision.

After the last 20 years we should all be pretty used to this. (Seeing our beloved old franchises getting crappy continuations.) Our copes should be all sharpened & tuned up by now.

If it's a character-building serial adventure series, I'm in (crosses fingers, toes and whatever available appendage)

At least all US states but one apparently had an age of consent of 16 or older as of 1920:

She was apparently 15 in the novelization - also the age GL landed on in the story conference (after SS thankfully nudged him up from 11 or 12).

I remember the Ingruber debate back when Solo was in production and many harped on him just doing an impression, he can't act, etc etc. If LFL was willing to give Alden Ehrenreich a shot, who I thought was a terrible choice for Han Solo, I say give Ingruber a chance this time around. At least he actually looks like the character he's playing and has studied Ford's mannerisms. Training, prep and experience can improve acting prowess, at least to some extent. Ehrenreich just felt like a generic stand-in or some random cosplay guy. I just never could buy that he was supposed to be Han Solo. I actually don't mind deepfakes nearly as much as some do but why bother when you already have a guy that could so plausibly pass for a younger version of the character.

She was apparently 15 in the novelization - also the age GL landed on in the story conference (after SS thankfully nudged him up from 11 or 12)

Good Lord . . . 11 or 12? I thought 15 was bad.

It speaks to how much of a rough character Indy was originally. They were picturing a tomb-robbing James Bond, and Bond is pretty much a sociopath in real life.

Last edited:
Those initial transcript conversations between Kasdan, Lucas, and Spielberg are kind of hilarious because it’s clear they were all making three entirely different films in their heads. George was making something gross and dark, Steven kept suggesting slapstick physical comedy gags, and Lawrence was just trying to marry the two.

I think Indy as a serial will make more sense, since it's the only type of stories/movies one could follow easily. Each season has a beginning and an end. I would like to see more "serials" ,in that '30s era, in the future: The Rocketeer and maybe a Doc Savage...fingers crossed;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back