Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

If any part of that is even remotely true…the dude who leaked this stuff is a major a$$hole, considering the movie literally just started shooting.

As much as I hate the idea of
time travel shenanigans
it does kind of tickle my brain with the potential for Indy to turn his back on the obvious outcome, which is what I’m most hoping for in all of this. Execution is going to play a HUGE role in making this not suck IMO.

So there is a detail in there that makes absolutely no sense to me.

If Reibold was working for the Nazis then why would his family have been killed in the death camps? If anything his family should have been protected. Unless they are essentially rehashing his character from Rogue One and he's being forced to work for them against his will. I also find it interesting too that like Crystal Skull Indy is aiding the enemy in some way- remember Indy not exactly fighting back when they are captured in the Jungle by Cate Blanchet. That never felt right to me. The fact that Mutt tried to get them out of that mess felt weird. Anyway, while I can understand the U.S. wanting to get their hands on the device before the Russians, it seems unlikely that Indy would become close friends with a Nazi scientist, unless Riebold intended to defect from the German side. Idk. It does seem like a plausible plot outline, and I'm not entirely hating it, nor am I really loving it either.

The other thing that feels off about it is that there is no link to ancient artifacts other than a vague reference to Atlantis. Which also brings up other questions. Time travel feels more sci-fi than serialized action adventure like Indiana Jones. I think tonally it could end up feeling not quite right for Indy. There does seem to be some religious element in the McGuffin that has personal significance to the people who made/ discovered it, and Indy has no reverence for the item in question. He might respect it's historical significance and he might be awed by its power, but ultimately he's not attached to it emotionally.

I think it's clear that if there is any credence to this leak, and the spy pictures are clear that there will be at least some CGI de-aging, which I'm thinking runs the risk for some really uncanny valley going on. Plus if any time travel element is involved it would certainly line up with the idea of rebooting the franchise with another actor so that they can tell other adventure stories within different times rather than having to adjust the story to account for Harrison's age. In essence if this pans out then they have the chance to do a soft reboot of the Indiana Jones movies, which I'm not cool with. I'm also keeping in mind that this is all rumor at this point so this is me just theorizing.

Last edited:
How big was the size of the gun that someone held to your head and forced you to open and read the spoiler?
I’m just saying, I think it’s a real crappy move to leak that kind of stuff, regardless of the movie or how soon it’ll come out. It has nothing to do with me personally reading the spoiler or not, and more to do with etiquette, respect, decency. These kinds of spoilers tend to get around whether people want to hear them or not. I appreciate the fact that people here have been using the spoiler feature, and you can’t close Pandora’s box, so I don’t begrudge anyone wanting to discuss it. I just think, if the Redditor is someone involved with the production and legitimately just leaked the whole plot to a major film just days after it began shooting, they should definitely be fired, and maybe barred from working on film crews again. Of course, I still would think the guy’s a tool if it’s fake, too. We already have enough clickbait Mike Zeroh type content out there.

I guess I'm a little underwhelmed by the proposed plot, if true (See spoiler for why but it references the supposed plot).

Given the Antikythera mechanism has recently been 3D modeled and shown to work as a simple astronomical calendar, it's more than a little disappointing (if true) to hear that is the basis of the new movie. I suppose you could assume part of the missing structure includes data for this portal concept, but I'd find an interdimensional portal like in the Skinwalker Ranch TV Show (hey wait, they had one of those too in Crystal Skull!) to be more believable than a time travel one (time travel gets real messy real fast).

I still would have preferred a Black Sun/Vrill plot instead. That would even tie Indiana Jones and Star Wars together since "Vrill" is pretty much akin to the Force in Star Wars or perhaps the Zero Point Energy concept in Stargate SG-1. There's even conjecture in the real world whether something like that might be possible using quantum physics (it'd be very bad for a weapon as it could likely blow up the Earth quite easily). Oh well. I'm not expecting anything so that way I won't be disappointed (at least anymore than I already am).

The Ark and the Grail are probably the best McGuffins Indy could ever have centered around and that's the problem for any new Indy adventure afterwards: what's a real-world, semi-mythic artifact that everyone knows of, and the characters would want to chase after? I love Temple of Doom but what ultimately was the allure of the Sankara Stones outside of that one village, and what would it have accomplished if someone else other than Mola Ram collected them? Most crystal skulls are well documented to be Victorian curios; what else is there that's strong enough a premise that can be a catalyst for an adventure story?

The Ten Commandments
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Tower of Babel
Atlantis
some made up reason for The Tunguska Event

I agree that they’ve mostly hit the cream of the crop, but these were some that popped into my head

I always assumed the Ten Commandments were still in the Ark until it was on the boat. When it started buzzing and the rats turned sideways, I just figured that was God disintegrating the tablets into dust so the nazis couldn't get them.

The Ark and the Grail are probably the best McGuffins Indy could ever have centered around and that's the problem for any new Indy adventure afterwards: what's a real-world, semi-mythic artifact that everyone knows of, and the characters would want to chase after? I love Temple of Doom but what ultimately was the allure of the Sankara Stones outside of that one village, and what would it have accomplished if someone else other than Mola Ram collected them? Most crystal skulls are well documented to be Victorian curios; what else is there that's strong enough a premise that can be a catalyst for an adventure story?

The Sankara Stones in Mola Ram's hands may have only affected that village initially but he did say that if he collected them all that he intended to overthrow all other gods until Kali ruled the world. Sure it may not have been on the same level of recognition like the Ark or the Grail but I felt it worked well enough for that story. Plus the fact that it was smaller in scale lent itself to that pulp feel that I love about Temple of Doom.

Excalibur would be a perfect object to seek out. It's iconic enough that the general public knows it and since we all know the enemy in the story wants to use the object to rule the world, why not have one that is literally a weapon, instead of having to weaponize the object. Plus it confers the right to rule England to whoever possess it, but in their evil ambition the villain could try to use it to conquer the world.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back