Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

What are people edging the armor with? I suspect worbla's the right color and probably workable enough, but it doesn't have the right texture to me - it looks like the back of raw leather, or suede maybe? I have leather strips all over my workshop but I'll be damned if it isn't a difficult material to shape around some of the complex curves, which is why I'm looking for alternatives.

I just used some tan cloth. It was cheap and easy to work with. As Ahoudini mentioned, moleskine would probably work best and it would look great if you have the money for it.

How much and from where you get the moleskin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably this stuff.

I'm still almost inclined to go grab some yard-long strips of suede from a fabric store. The moleskin tape is self-adhesive, which is definitely a plus, but I am not sure about the texture on it.

Chicago Screws... now i need to order a bunch of those and replace all my rivets with them... haha (Those things are expensive.)

View attachment 520041

My progress. The bellows are very simliar to the ones above. Foam covered by canvas fabric then I painted it with acrylic paint to get that rubbery look.

Looking great so far!!!

Do you have any tips regarding forming worbla / PETG to a curved form? I tried forming a pauldron last night, while using a bowling ball I had sitting around as a type of guide. I had issues with the plastic buckling over itself around the edges. I'm not sure if I just need to try forming them with less of a curve, or if I just need to cut out a much bigger area to work with.

Hamsterstyle I'm actually interested in whatever fittings you ended up using to attach the dual filters over the shoulders to the airbag on the back. Any chance you can identify where those came from?

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 pair of boots at Goodwill cannibalized for the lacing on the sides of the torso armor:

View attachment 520014

Did the same thing for my Mecha-Glove. Got some woman's high heal boots and cannibalized the leather. :lol

You all are kicking butt with this cosplay. Great job!
ahoudini, can't wait to see your cosplay at DragonCon!

- - - Updated - - -

Chicago Screws... now i need to order a bunch of those and replace all my rivets with them... haha (Those things are expensive.)

View attachment 520041

My progress. The bellows are very simliar to the ones above. Foam covered by canvas fabric then I painted it with acrylic paint to get that rubbery look.

Very nice! by the way (no derail meant) is that a Ringwraith helmet in the background, because if so - AWESOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so believe it or not I got a little impatient with that I really want to work on this project but I don't have things I need so I looked around the house and found me these
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440801396.511484.jpg
And believe it or not made this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440801428.813219.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440801444.005564.jpg
Simply by cutting into the Straw sliding it onto the armor and then laying it over with tape and using an X-Acto knife to clean up the edging

What are you guys planning for the sleeve wraps? I've thought about sewing/gluing a wrap to regular shirt sleeves so you can just pull them on. Maybe some kind of snap at the top under the pauldron/rerebrace joint to keep them from wriggling down - would have to see if it's necessary.

I've bought arm-warmers off eBay (stretch material) and will sew the straps onto them so I can slide them on and off.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back