ICONS Authentic Replicas Interview clip?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rusty85, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Does anyone happen to have the video or any information about the interview being filmed in this picture? I can't seem to find any information about it or any additional pictures.

[​IMG]

2. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I am not sure ,the only video I have ever known about was the VHS my father was givin' when he got his T2 skull ,LIS pistol and B9 robot ,that was merely footage on their assembly line ,I could call him what exactly would you like me to ask him ??? Guy

3. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Well, I was looking for information on the MIB Tri-Barrel that's sitting on the table there. I believe that its the prototype that they made, the front pump/grip looks like it was chromed along with the rest of the gun like the promotional picture I saw of it.

4. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I will see if he can look that up on his video......

5. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Thanks for the help! Wish there was upload of the cassette online, must be pretty old by now.

6. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhhh Icons...the originator (if you don't include Don Post) in the world of licensed prop replicas...
    One day someone will revive the name of ICONS...

7. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And, hopefully, redeem it.

8. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've often thought of somone re-starting ICONS under new ownership. The name has become so legendary in our hobby - although the name also conjurs up alot of bad memories from people, no one can deny the impact ICONS had on the prop collecting community. They really opened the door for others to produced licensed prop replicas.

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why in hell would someone want to do that. :lol

That is one name that will live in prop replica history as how NOT to do business. :unsure

10. Highliners

Highliners New Member

The concept of that company is still excellent that fellow standing there in the video was the issue.

11. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's a shame is, for the most part, Icons made nice stuff. I have the LIS pistol and my wife has the Xena chakram.

12. Apollo

Jim Latta will get his in the end that's for sure

13. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

No, they really did NOT open the door for other licensed replicas.

And the name, while very clever, is completed contaminated now. Anyone who tries to start a prop replica business with THAT name, is an idiot.

Because of their crap, Lucasfilm locked up tight for three years. It took me dozens upon dozens of calls and letters to get an audience with them.

And them we had to pay a HUGE advance (three million $$$) to be allowed to sell the lightsaber replicas.

Ditto on all of the other studios...it was ALL they could talk about...How Icons pretty much destroyed the image of licensed prop replicas, and they were all terrified to ever license that category again. It took a VAST amount of work and money to get them all to finally relax and open up. If anything, Master Replicas opened the door to other prop replica companies.

I was able to secure a number of new licenses at QMx rather easily, because of MR. NOT Icons. That name in Hollywood has been a curse word for 15 years.

And FYI: SD Studios pre-dated Icons by a year, for releasing licensed movie prop replicas. Jim used to tell me that SD Studios was his inspiration. (read: Lying "suck up"). I had a number of run-ins with Latta over the years. You would not believe some of the underhanded stunts he pulled. Fortunately, he wasn't very smart, and most people could figure them out fairly easily. MOST of the time...

Boy, do I have stories...

Just wanted to set the record straight...

Icons...peeeetohey!

14. Apollo

I was hoping you would post Steve.

MR to me was a great example of how a prop replicating business should run at least in the beginning before it got to big.

Icons is indeed a word that should be and is cursed by all sorts of people

15. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I have to agree, its too bad about what happened with Icons. Does anyone have any scans of their catalogs? Or the Vault magazines that they released? I've only been able to find Volume 1 issue 2 so far.

16. MoviefanAZ

MoviefanAZ Member

I'm at work so I don't remember what issue I have. The one I have has James Earl Jones holding a lightsaber. Is that one you need?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  17. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm pretty sure I have one of their catalogs in my files. I'll see if I can locate and scane a few pages.

18. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Thanks guys, I actually found the issue with James Earl Jones in it, I think that was their second issue? I'm looking for any of the others.

19. James Latta

James Latta Active Member

The photo is from a feature on Icons on the news program "Good Day L.A." from around 1997. 15 years ago.

Really Steve? Happy to address any of your so-called "stories." As long as you don't mind me bringing up your colorful past. But let's keep it civil and on point. And back issues up with facts. Wouldn't want this thread to be locked or deleted.

Jim L.

20. James Latta

I should add this is the first time I have ever posted on this forum, although numerous members who are friends have linked me to it over the years and forwarded me questions. If anyone has a question about Icons 5 year history please feel free to ask. Even with all the rumors and accusations that surrounded Icons, which are unfortunately a part of this hobby & industry, I will continue to be civil. Thanks.

21. Apollo

This ought to be good.

So after all these years you finally decided to come on here and "Clear" up your reputation.

I think that is a new thread just waiting to happen which I will open up

22. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

That's unfortunate about Icons, seeing their Luke ANH saber replica in a collectors magazine when I was a kid was what first opened me up to the idea of replicas. And for me, it just blew up from there. :lol

Plus I could have had an icons gold edition ANH saber for like $150 bucks back in '98 or so, and never took it! :facepalm

-Carson

23. Thekid

Thekid New Member

And then Qmx steve ran away LOL !!!
    All these years talking about Latta and Icons taking shots any chance you got and now he comes on here to face your accusations and you take off running what a Joke . Steve every company you have ever been a part of has folded or you have got kicked out of :( (fact) How many now I lost count ?

Thought you were done with making prop replicas that big announcement you made guess that was just more Steve .
    Why is it Everything you make is so over priced? Your HERO all steel pulse rifle is what 3-4k more then Matts must be because you made it ? Glad this is a forum where EVERYONE is free to speak there mind. 14k feedback or 1
    PS Steve you have never had or put up 3 mill for anything
    later junkyard Steve :thumbsup

24. SD Studios

BTW:

I just got a nuclear PM from Latta about my post.

So he is reading this...

So please allow me to...retort...

Dear James...

I didn't write a SINGLE thing that wasn't true. You got some BIG BRASS BALLS playing the victim with me, bro.

What I tactfully omitted was all THE OTHER CRAP that you did over the years...You and I have some history.

So be thankful I didn't dredge all of that junk up.

Ok, well maybe ONE... :lol

Like your brilliant fax to Paramount??? From "concerned citizens" all across the country warning the studio that they should NOT give me a license because I was a HUGE bootlegger? But the faxes were ALL from the Kinkos down the street from your office....in the 818 area code.

GENIUS!!!!

And your partner Mike then tossed you under the proverbial bus and told me that you did it and apologized for you.

And how did these people ALL know I was at Paramount? It isn't like I announced it...

Again...BRILLIANT!!!

Fortunately for me, the Paramount rep thought it was all pretty funny and a license followed shortly thereafter...

And for the record...MR didn't use a SINGLE product sample, idea, or prototype from Icons. Our President Scott insisted that we stay a million miles from you and Icons, so we couldn't get tied in with that rep.

Remember when you called me? Scott went ballistic. He ordered me never to contact you again. That is how paranoid he was of you.

I told him that you and I were ok, and I had no problem chatting with you. He chewed me a new one for THAT response. He threatened to fire me if I had any association with you.

Where do you think he got THAT impression from?????

I didn't create the gigantic world-wide stigma around you and Icons, so don't you dare blame me for that, sparky.

If anything I wrote is a lie...come here and retort same.

I double-dog dare you.

Nay.

TRIPLE dog dare...

I await your response.

25. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Well-Known Member

And who is 'Thekid', another new forum member with a lot to say.

Latta, don't you know that sock puppets are illegal here?

26. Apollo

That's correct although you will find that those with few post counts and posting history such as yours are suspect

27. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They do seem to pop up alot in threads like this don't they ? :lol

28. Apollo

Typical play out of the Jim latta playbook!

29. Grey

Grey Sr Member

30. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A good 'ol RPF cage match?! We haven't had one 'o these in YEARS!

I bet 500 Quatloos on the newcomer!

31. Thekid

Thekid New Member

Wait who's a sock puppet peterson? How many posts have you made about steve being the greatest guy ever and how many OVERPRICED props have you bought from him ?
    (FACT) How many thread posts are on here in the past year alone started by you about steve? Including the HUGLEY overpriced Hero pulse as mentioned before that must have hit a nerve. I assume by you not thinking before you called me the puppet. So if anyone here is a SOCK puppet its you thats a fact peterson. I don't agree with the way people are treated on here by other members who seem to get a free pass to bash others because of who the know and post counts . I guess because I decided to speak up you have a problem with that peterson go back to Junkyard . 6k for a pulse rifle LOL :thumbsdown

32. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really don't care who you are mate, but if you start having a go at respected members here like that .... strike 3 without the 1 and 2, & yourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr out in no time at all.

You certainly are not new to this forum.

33. Thekid

Thekid New Member

I won't reply anymore it may get the thread locked and the Jackals are starting to circle me lol . I would like to see how this plays out as much as anyone . i maybe a kid but i do my research :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  34. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  35. Apollo

Whats a matter can't talk with both feet in your mouth?

:lol Get back under that bridge!! :lol

36. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

I will see your Quatloos and raise you 500 more! My money is on SDSteve and RKP...

37. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

i just want to say, the rpf is the only forum i post on because out of all of them this by far has the nicest, ready to help out people.. and I've been a member for a little over a year now and i don't even know about half the stuff your talking about xD there's no way your brand new to this forum haha.

pretty off topic, but i just thought that should be said.

38. James Latta

I did not post on here to cause a massive flame-war. I am not posting under another I.D. I put my real name on my post and have never posted here before.

I was willing to have an open dialogue about Icons, but if I am going to freak people out and anger them by doing so, I will step back. I also don't want other members here who may want to hear my side of the Icons story, be polite to me or disagree with Steve D. to get flamed.

My apologies....if anyone has a question, please feel free to message or email me.

39. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

Jim if this is the case why not just start a new thead and call it "Icons: my version of the story"? Start at the beginning and go right into it and towards the end. I know people have been burned in the past (myself included) but personally I would like to hear your side.

40. exetor999

exetor999 Member

Steve, glad to see you posting on this subject. I, for one, have always LOVED your stuff (Read, kiss up, LOL)
    Just curious, I heard a rumor that Latta was beaten senseless out in Vegas, by a group of people that got screwed out of some LIS robots. Any truth to that?

Thanx

41. James Latta

See what I mean? I was "beaten sensless in Las Vegas" ? Who started that rumour - Guy Raz? The convicted cyber-stalker.

42. James Latta

And no that never happened.

43. James Latta

Autoprops, I wish I could. But it is the same old story, anyone who tries to speak out on what really happened at Icons is attacked, insulted and ridiculed. Even with supporting documentation, witnesses etc. it does not matter, as Icons is buried under a mountain of lies, spin and negativity. Why?....simple. Following the bouncing ball of what happened with Icons licenses, prototypes, masters and molds after it was forced under.

Far be it for me to cause a great disturbance in the force here....

44. SD Studios

Ok, I'll bite...

Where did all of that stuff go?

And if you say Master Replicas, I will fly out there and *****-slap you...

Because I can stand before God and state that we didn't use a TOOTHPICK from Icons... Scott threatened my life if I even THOUGHT about it...

So BESIDES the inflammatory comment I just made, :lol EVERYONE promise to NOT turn this into a KNOCK DOWN drag out attack-fight.

And Jim...

This is an incredibly rare opportunity and I would really like to hear you tell us honestly what happened. Since a number of "survivors" are here, I think they would appreciate hearing your side of the story after all of these years.

I will agree to "stand down" in the greater interest. And you stay out my grill. K? :lol

I will definitely agree with you that Raz pretty-much made it his life to ruin you, and went to ridiculous lengths to interefere with your business...I got some experience with that myself when I crossed his path... He literally IS human crazy-glue...

But Guy did NOT put Icons into bankruptcy like one person has noted in their blog. That is putting a LOT on him.

And I will agree that there is a special place in Hell for child-molestors. We are on the same page there, brother.

BUT any commentary like...Guy Raz single-handedly destroyed Icons is really stretching it.

I would also ask the mods to DELETE any post where anyone stirs up crap.

How is that?

Open...honest... I am all ears.

We are all ears.

Standing down...

45. James Latta

MR didn't use a SINGLE product sample, idea, or prototype from Icons.

Steve D....don't go there. Not only did MR use Icons business plan, you used our prototypes, masters, patterns, molds, concepts and methodlogy. Even our Disney product development plan / license ( no un-delivered Disney products by the way, contrary to your statements of the past ) was followed to the letter by MR. And it pre-dates MR by 6 years.

I worked in the Film and TV industry starting in 1984 Steve. I was producing original prop / miniature and wardroble exhibits in 1993. The same year the collectibles program I produced and co-hosted on the Sci-Fi Channel was on the air. We featured a prop show & tell each week. I was a lead memorabilia buyer for Planet Hollywood from their first location until their last. In 1993 Icons was first pitched to Tom Zotos of Warner Bros. Gallery stores. You and SD Studios were not even a blip on our radar. So to state that you inspired the creation of Icons is a blantant lie. You can bash Icons for it's many mistakes, and you can hate on me all you want, and continue to spread rumours and lies, but you can not take credit for the best of what Icons did accomplish.

From the day Icons launched the company drove you crazy. You never saw Icons coming. And you lost money the day it opened. By the time you turned around, Icons was already established. It baffled you. Which is why in 1996 you asked for a meeting with Icons about being a consultant. Icons already had the talents of numerous prop fabricators so turned you down. And that made things worse in your eyes. With the advent of the Internet, for years you encouraged Icons customers to cancel their orders. When Icons still had a chance of surviving.

Your reputation proceeds you too Steve. Cinema Concept Collectors Group or what ever it was called, Unobtanium and what happened at Master Replicas and QMX? You were ousted at both companies. Why? You're attitude and arrogance.

So here you are all these years later still filled with anger and bitterness spreading more lies. No wonder you are starting from scratch again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  46. James Latta

Steve I did not see your last post before you posted it. So this is sure to stir things up again. But what you are claiming is still not true or fair. Everyone in the business knows what Icons prototyped. And that you / MR used Icons R & D, prototypes, masters and molds to create many of MR's products. When Icons hired Scott Brodeen to prototype our Nautilus miniature, that was a personal dream project of mine. It cost us 1 year of Scott's salary to produce it. We left him alone to make it into the masterpiece it became. Scott B. is a genius, but I and numerous others advised on that project and Icons funded it. The photographs of the 11 foot miniature from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were provided to Scott B. by Icons. At a cost of 300K. I personally guaranteed that license. Icons produced 50 Nautilus. No undelivered Disney replicas. And once Icons was driven under, for numerous reasons, MR then re-released the Icons Nautilus.

You also used Icons Star Trek masters that are pictured in The Vault # 3 under the Icons Fab & Design Group article and photo-spread. So to say that you and MR never used any of Icons work is simply not true. And deserved a serious response. The Monorail and Jungle Cruise replicas were in development at Icons. The list goes on and on. And at the time, there were not all of the replica collectible companies there are today. So Icons was ahead of the pack.

Compare The Vault Icons catalog # 3 to SD Studios 2 licensed products in 1996. Then compare The Vault Icons catalog # 3 to MR's entire business model. You and MR learned from what we did at Icons. It's obvious. You want to continue to strip Icons of any credit. Any accomplisment. All of it's history. Well there are 85,000 + Icons replicas on display all over the world, and many of the people who own them appreciate them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  47. exetor999

exetor999 Member

I was at a convention in Los Angeles, and I heard that story from a fellow named ROGER, who said that he was a good friend of yours, or a partner in your business, something like that, said that you were in a hospital for a couple of weeks, and then had to relocate to Florida, to live with your father while you healed. ROGER had a business card that he gave me, under the business name of 'SIDE EFFECTS', if that sounds familair?
    Just FYI, I didn't get that story from anyone here! That was a long time ago.

48. Apollo

So nice a way to post and run away as somebody accused Steve of. :rolleyes

Seems to me you have already passed judgement and deem it not necessary to try and clear your name and tell your side of the story.

I wonder why? :unsure

49. James Latta

Roger Sides...that is a name from the past. I have not seen him since 1997/1998. We produced exhibits together around 18 years ago.

Roger no doubt heard a rumor and past it on. Most likely originally generated from Guy Raz. No I did not move to Florida. I have not even visited there since 1985. 27 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  50. James Latta

Apollo, what are you talking about. I just wrote long responses eariler this afternoon. And I am not trying to clear my name. That is evidently impossible. I simply answered a question that a member asked here and responed to Steve D. trying to take any and all credit away from what Icons did accomplish.